How do the aircraft loadouts affect fuel usage?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

skorpio667

How do the aircraft loadouts affect fuel usage?

Post by skorpio667 »

Hi all,

With the upcomming air-to-air refueling overhaul and future dedicated AAR-waypoints, I'm trying to figure out how an aircraft's loadout is affecting fuel usage, so I can incorporate Remaining Fuel/when to AAR (and how long it wil take) into my Excel Strike Planner.
I can't find a datafield in the database giving me that info, I think fuel usage is calculated by the loadout's weight fraction. But if so, how?

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Skorpio
ComDev

RE: How do the aircraft loadouts affect fuel usage?

Post by ComDev »

Hi Skorpio,

In table DataLoadout there is a column named 'PayloadWeightDragModifier' that determines how much extra fuel aircraft burn per minute per kg of payload (drop tanks not included).

So first you need to sum up the overall payload weight, and then do this:

PayloadPenalty = (PayloadWeightDragModifier * (FuelConsumptionPerMinute * PayloadWeight )) / 100
FuelConsumptionPerMinute += PayloadPenalty

Thus, if aircraft drop their payload at max range, there will not be any drag on the return leg. Hence the need to know how much ordnance is planned to be expended at what distance from base [8D]

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
skorpio667

Post by skorpio667 »

Aha! Thanks

Lots of work to do now [:D]

Skorpio
Filitch

Post by Filitch »

ORIGINAL: emsoy

Hi Skorpio,

In table DataLoadout there is a column named 'PayloadWeightDragModifier' that determines how much extra fuel aircraft burn per minute per kg of payload (drop tanks not included).

So first you need to sum up the overall payload weight, and then do this:

PayloadPenalty = (PayloadWeightDragModifier * (FuelConsumptionPerMinute * PayloadWeight )) / 100
FuelConsumptionPerMinute += PayloadPenalty

Thus, if aircraft drop their payload at max range, there will not be any drag on the return leg. Hence the need to know how much ordnance is planned to be expended at what distance from base [8D]
Is value of PayloadWeightDragModifier column depends on value of DefaultMissionProfile column?
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

No.

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”