Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

An idea or 2.....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> An idea or 2..... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
An idea or 2..... - 2/28/2016 11:34:06 PM   
Deathtreader

Hi,

For southern Storm:

1/ More game colour slots for subordinate formations. With a tendency to larger scenarios 8 is becoming too few.

2/ Someway to merge remnants. Many times I've seen a sub-unit remnant with transport left but no passengers. Stacked right below it is another sub-unit remnant with passengers and no transport left. When it comes time to get out of Dodge I always think that it's too bad I have to abandon the foot sloggers to their fate because the guys with the tracks/wheels APC's etc.can't give them a ride out.

Just my 2c.

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
Post #: 1
RE: An idea or 2..... - 2/29/2016 1:05:04 PM   
CapnDarwin

Rob,

For Southern Storm we are planning to change the unit command tracking to a color and line type spiderweb function. That way 7 to 8 colors covers division down to sections.

I'll leave it to Jeff to jump in and chat about the whole merge issue. It's not a simple case,but has been discussed and will continue to be as Southern Storm is coded.

We are hard at work on Southern Storm and Pro work to support the warfighters.

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 2
RE: An idea or 2..... - 2/29/2016 6:40:58 PM   
IronMikeGolf

We need to be precise on addressing "remnants". Even the term has a doctrinal meaning I think you don't mean here. I think what you are talking about is dealing with passenger type subunits in excess of a unit's surviving passenger capacity. We have been discussing rules and doctrine for this and for infantry squads operating independently of their carriers/IFVs (example: IFVs go forward and conduct counter-recon while the infantry digs in). One of the issues we currently have is when a mech unit attacks and takes vehicle casualties. It can end up in Leg mode (possibly temporarily, until some dismounts are KIA or fall out) and that is not what would happen with actual units. Those squads or sections or teams would be left behind to move on leg mode or to defend in place while the rest of the unit continues to execute the assault order. We are looking at mechanisms to handle the above and those would easily be extended to either shuttle "pedestrian" subunits or other transport could be used.

Merging remnants is a reconstitution activity and we feel that is properly handled in the Depot phase of a campaign. We have some exploration to do on that topic.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: An idea or 2..... - 2/29/2016 7:23:54 PM   
HobbesACW

Deleted post - daft idea I had!

< Message edited by hobbes -- 2/29/2016 7:34:51 PM >

(in reply to IronMikeGolf)
Post #: 4
RE: An idea or 2..... - 2/29/2016 10:42:06 PM   
Deathtreader

Sounds good!

Thanks for the responses guys

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to IronMikeGolf)
Post #: 5
RE: An idea or 2..... - 3/7/2016 11:46:54 PM   
markcab

I like that idea about remnants. Yeah, too many times I'm let with penny packets.

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> An idea or 2..... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI