First off, let me say that I'm already REALLY enjoying this game. You have a very good game here. I know that it's a good game because I woke up this morning and I couldn't wait to write this post of feature requests because I think that if you implement these things, you'll have an all-time classic game.
I'll echo the original poster...please let us select all units in a hex by default. Actually, it would be helpful to add a preference pane and make 'Select all units in a hex' a preference that the user could control.
Here are some other initial thoughts...I'll make more detailed notes the next time that I play (tonight!!! YAY!!!):
- When I select a unit/units in the movement phase, highlight all of the hexes that I can move to. Let me click once to move the stack to the destination hex. If I get interdicted, stop the movement, but still, don't make me click on 1 hex at a time with no idea how far I can actually move. Maybe even show a unit's movement points when I select the unit/stack. Also, show the movement cost of terrain when I mouse over it.
- Line of sight toggle: When I select a unit, highlight all of the hexes that I can see.
- Line of sight tool: Don't make me pick hexes from a dropdown list. Let me click on a hex and then click on a second hex to calculate the line of sight between the two. Better yet, let me click on one hex and then stretch a line that is green when I mouse over hexes that I can see from the first hex and red when I mouse over hexes that I cannot see. That may be computationally expensive. However, you could pretty easily calculate and store line of sight between all hexes when a map-maker saves the map. Then, it would be trivial to quickly look up line of sight between any two hexes.
- More details! I'd like to see more details of a unit when I select it. How many movement points does it have? What's its firing range? What is a leader's rally chance, etc. I'm a grognard, I like numbers...lots of numbers.
- Let me scroll the map with middle mouse drag. Don't make me go to the edges of the screen to scroll the map.
- Hotkeys! Don't make me click toolbar icons or have to go to the dropdown menus. Let me do everything with (preferably user customizable) hot keys.
- Manual...it needs editing. It just has a lot of typos in it.
Thanks for the awesome work that you've done on the game so far. I'm a software engineer with 25+ years experience so I know how hard it is to get a project done and delivered. Congratulations on the release and I'm looking forward to playing this game for a long time to come!
As an aside, as I mentioned, I'm an engineer. If you need help working on the game, feel free to reach out. Also, I've published 3 books, so I could take a critical pass at the manual for you if you'd like.