Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cox Cable's Gigablast

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Cox Cable's Gigablast Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cox Cable's Gigablast - 2/24/2016 6:47:02 PM   
wings7

I just signed up for Cox Cable's Gigablast package (1 Gbps)! Same price as their 100 Mbps, they have to do some rewiring in the house...can't wait for the blazing speed!

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Post #: 1
RE: Cox Cable's Gigablast - 2/24/2016 7:16:49 PM   
Lecivius

Good luck with that. Do they guarantee 1 gbps? What kind of cost are you looking at? What are you planning on you machine, considering the physical max on cat 5E is 100 mbps? Do they have any throttles on data usage?

Man, lotsa questions here

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2
RE: Cox Cable's Gigablast - 2/24/2016 7:31:05 PM   
zakblood

Cat 6 cable is full-on certified to handle Gigabit speeds--it's meant to handle it and it does it the best. It's also suitable for any 10-Gigabit uses that may come along someday; although at that point, you're pushing the limits of Cat 6. And let's not get into Cat 7 and it's fairyland of 40-Gigabit speeds.

i've had some rooms inside and outside the house fitted with Cat 6 cable. so 1 to 10gb internal isn't a problem and future proof for me, mind you, you need to raid some SDD's to keep up if you wish for data flying around anywhere near those speeds

i'll soon be on 200mb BB via cable, so worth the effort, not that i did it

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3
RE: Cox Cable's Gigablast - 2/24/2016 8:48:33 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Good luck with that. Do they guarantee 1 gbps? What kind of cost are you looking at? What are you planning on you machine, considering the physical max on cat 5E is 100 mbps? Do they have any throttles on data usage?

Man, lotsa questions here

1. Speed is variable 900 Mbps to 1 Gbps, 1 Terabyte cloud storage, Wi-Fi for the house
2. Cost is for 2 HD TV's (300 channels + HBO), Internet, Digital land line w/unlimited long distance US & Canada
3. Still planning, they are installing at high-speed router
4. $174 per month guaranteed for 3 years, $6 a day, pretty cheap for daily entertainment, information and education!
I'm excited!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4
RE: Cox Cable's Gigablast - 2/24/2016 9:04:46 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

Cat 6 cable is full-on certified to handle Gigabit speeds--it's meant to handle it and it does it the best. It's also suitable for any 10-Gigabit uses that may come along someday; although at that point, you're pushing the limits of Cat 6. And let's not get into Cat 7 and it's fairyland of 40-Gigabit speeds.

i've had some rooms inside and outside the house fitted with Cat 6 cable. so 1 to 10gb internal isn't a problem and future proof for me, mind you, you need to raid some SDD's to keep up if you wish for data flying around anywhere near those speeds

i'll soon be on 200mb BB via cable, so worth the effort, not that i did it

Yeah, but does your NIC handle that speed? Not trying to be argumentative, seriously curious. Most don't. So what types of interface are you using? And anything over 5E is usually not connected to a terminal device.

<edit>

Hmm, looking while typing, it appears I may be a bit behind the times.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Cox Cable's Gigablast - 2/25/2016 5:20:11 PM   
Gilmer

It can handle that much but then they allow you only 2 gigabytes a month!!

He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
My youtube channel link is under my profile. About 90% of it is Ageod.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Cox Cable's Gigablast Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI