Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Alternate Intel Scenario ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Alternate Intel Scenario ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alternate Intel Scenario ? - 2/23/2016 3:07:16 AM   
scout1

Out of curiosity, Has there been any thought to producing a scenario which minimize/eliminates the Allied advantage as to Intel ? Basically one where the boys didn't break the code ..... Just seems like the Japanese player, the Allies always know where the KB it at ........
Post #: 1
RE: Alternate Intel Scenario ? - 2/23/2016 3:20:03 AM   
wdolson

I think that's one thing that is pretty much hard coded, so it wouldn't be possible unless the advantage was changed so it was exposed in the editor or as a scenario option.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 2
RE: Alternate Intel Scenario ? - 2/23/2016 3:27:30 AM   
Canoerebel

In eleven years of playing WitP and AE, I've gotten specific SigInt about the location of a Japanese carrier maybe two or three times ("CV Kaga at hex 53/165"). Sometimes a player can make educated guesses based up "heavy radio traffic" info, but that's a different proposition.

In the actual war, the Allies nearly always knew the location of the enemy carrier or, at the very least, where they weren't. That's not the case in the game, though it's known that the Allies do get much better SigInt. But that's representative of the war.

The game is pretty finely balanced - Japan gets interior lines; the Allies get SigInt; Japan gets this; the Allies get that. Tinkering with anything in the mix may have drastic consequences. (And that was a point that Chickenboy used to make all the time.)

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3
RE: Alternate Intel Scenario ? - 2/23/2016 7:14:02 AM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

Out of curiosity, Has there been any thought to producing a scenario which minimize/eliminates the Allied advantage as to Intel ? Basically one where the boys didn't break the code ..... Just seems like the Japanese player, the Allies always know where the KB it at ........

Can't say I've had the same experience.

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 4
RE: Alternate Intel Scenario ? - 2/23/2016 9:04:13 AM   
Pilsator

Tokyo Bay fortress is located at Tokyo, seems this is the only Intel message I got. Looks my SignInt Men are lazy....

Informations about ships or planned attacks are very rare.

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 5
RE: Alternate Intel Scenario ? - 2/23/2016 9:52:23 AM   
Canoerebel

Information about planned attacks is pretty common in SigInt. With experience, though, Japanese players have some techniques to obfuscate (like prepping restricted units in China for some distant and unplanned target - say, Brisbane or Bombay - to make the Allied player wonder).

(in reply to Pilsator)
Post #: 6
RE: Alternate Intel Scenario ? - 2/23/2016 5:04:28 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Information about planned attacks is pretty common in SigInt. With experience, though, Japanese players have some techniques to obfuscate (like prepping restricted units in China for some distant and unplanned target - say, Brisbane or Bombay - to make the Allied player wonder).

I've had that done to me. Pretty funny after I figured it out.

"You're going to attack WHAT with WHAT?!?"

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Alternate Intel Scenario ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI