Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question from a new player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Question from a new player Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question from a new player - 2/19/2016 3:19:31 PM   
sanderz

Hi all

Just sat down to try and learn this game and watched all 14 vid tutorials. However i have sort of got stuck.

Situation is:

Sep/Oct 1939 Global War scenario

Phase is "Setup - Commonwealth"

Setup has been done for all units but phase not ended

I used the default setup but now realise i want some of the convoys in different locations as i am trying to mirror convoy locations from vid 14 (but that didn't use auto setup)

PROBLEM : I moved 3 convoys from Faeroes Gap to Cape Naturaliste , then split off 1 and moved to Southeastern Indian. However i now cannot move either of the 2 convoys in Cape Naturaliste - i.e. i wanted to move one of them to Southwestern Indian

Looking at various convoys around the map some i seem to be able to move and some not.

i am a bit confused about whats going on here and whats stopping me moving any convoy to where i need it. I must be missing something - but what?

Many thanks

< Message edited by sanderz -- 2/19/2016 4:25:19 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Question from a new player - 2/19/2016 4:13:05 PM   
sanderz

i just reloaded a previous save and things now seem to be working - very odd

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 2
RE: Question from a new player - 2/19/2016 4:30:38 PM   
hazmaxed

I suggest checking to see if the CPs that you can't move are on "sentry" status.  I know that being on sentry prevents movement during the Naval Movement Phase.  I'm not sure if it prevents re-positioning of already placed CPs during Setup.

There is no overkill. There is only "open fire" and "reloading."

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 3
RE: Question from a new player - 2/19/2016 5:56:37 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: hazmaxed

I suggest checking to see if the CPs that you can't move are on "sentry" status.  I know that being on sentry prevents movement during the Naval Movement Phase.  I'm not sure if it prevents re-positioning of already placed CPs during Setup.

Yes.

During Setup, when you place a convoy at sea, it automatically has Sentry set. The logic here is that most of the time players want their convoys to simply stay at sea turn after turn, so putting them on Sentry means the player never has to think about them during the naval movement phases. But during Setup this 'feature' can cause the problem that the original poster encountered. If you right click on a convoy, you can deselect the Sentry status.

A recent change (as requested by players) is that when you Split convoys off from a convoy with multiple points, the original convoy keeps Sentry status while the newly created convoy units do not have Sentry status (i.e., they are immediately selectable).

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 2/19/2016 6:58:10 PM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to hazmaxed)
Post #: 4
RE: Question from a new player - 2/19/2016 6:50:28 PM   
hazmaxed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

A recent change (as requested by players) is that when you Split convoys off from a convoy with multiple points, the original convoy keeps Sentry status while the newly created convoy units do not have Sentry status (i.e., they are immediately selectable).

I've noticed this change, and it is very helpful.

There is no overkill. There is only "open fire" and "reloading."

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 5
RE: Question from a new player - 2/19/2016 8:23:22 PM   
sanderz

Thanks all

it was indeed "sentry" that was causing all my problems

another quick question....

as i said in my OP i am trying to mirror the convoy setup as shown in tutorial vid 14 - however i notice that my production planner says i only have 79 convoys whereas in the vid CW has 81. Is this a change in the starting setup or could i have 2 convoys not "on the map" that weren't set up by the auto setup? And if so where could i check this?

cheers

EDIT : just reloaded an autosave from before i did the autosetup and there is indeed 81 convoys in the force pool - so i do seem to have somehow lost 2 somewhere in doing the auto setup

EDIT : just had a thought, in that i have probably missed the obvious and dumped them in a port somewhere - if so is there an easy/quick way to find them?

< Message edited by sanderz -- 2/19/2016 9:40:51 PM >

(in reply to hazmaxed)
Post #: 6
RE: Question from a new player - 2/20/2016 9:19:30 AM   
Orm

quote:

if so is there an easy/quick way to find them?

Best way I know is to use the 'units in game' feature.

1) Go to the 'info' tab
2) Select 'units in game'
3) Select 'modify filter'
4) Mark three boxes; 'convoy', 'on map', and 'Commonwealth'. Then select 'ok'.

Attachment (1)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 7
RE: Question from a new player - 2/20/2016 12:20:18 PM   
sanderz

thanks orm

all now sorted and am proceeding with all the setups - hope to start in earnest later today - which probably means more questions to follow

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 8
RE: Question from a new player - 2/20/2016 6:08:50 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

if so is there an easy/quick way to find them?

Best way I know is to use the 'units in game' feature.

1) Go to the 'info' tab
2) Select 'units in game'
3) Select 'modify filter'
4) Mark three boxes; 'convoy', 'on map', and 'Commonwealth'. Then select 'ok'.

If you want to find convoys in port, check the "on land" box as well. Then you will only see the CPs in port, not the ones at sea.

The unit form is one of the most useful in the game. Here are some examples:

Have I forgotten to move any transports? Check the countries you are interested, transports, amphibious, and possibly liner, on land, not disrupted. The transports in ports that can move will show up. One can do the same for all other naval types, too. When I think I am done with a CW or US naval move, first I cycle through all the units with the "next unit" arrows. I usually find some units I should move. Then I use the units form to check. Then after (not "if") I find some units that I forgot to move, I do it again. After a few iterations, I usually have moved almost all of the units that I meant to move. Sometimes I even have moved all of them. (I do the same for the Japanese, but forget their units less often.)

I know there is an HQ somewhere around "there", but can't remember where it is. Check country, HQ-Inf and HQ-ARM, on land.

Where are my disrupted units, so I can put my HQ in the right place to organize them?

Etc., etc.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9
RE: Question from a new player - 2/21/2016 12:30:11 PM   
Extraneous

From the menu bar under "View" select:

"Toggle Units in Hex Panel On/Off Ctrl+H"

Then you can easily check the units that are stacked in any hex. Just hover the mouse pointer over any hex and the individual units will be displayed in the "Units in Hex" box.

"Toggle Global Map On/Off Ctrl+G"

Will show the number of convoys in each sea zone.

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 2/21/2016 1:40:03 PM >

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Question from a new player Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI