Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Road to Smolensk scenario question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Road to Smolensk scenario question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Road to Smolensk scenario question - 2/17/2016 10:09:29 PM   
JTP

Haven't had a chance to research a possible why, but a remark about this scenario................

What's the deal with the zillion Russian units ?!?!

Not even historically close.

I'm at the Dnepr with pzg2 on the third turn, and there are dozens and dozens, three deep, of units opposing on the other side of the river !?

Playing with normal setting, no soviet bonus.
Post #: 1
RE: Road to Smolensk scenario question - 2/18/2016 7:30:24 AM   
No idea

Well, soviets forces in Western Front were (IRL, after 3 weeks of Barbarossa) the 13th, 20th, 21st and 22nd Armies. On top of that, the 19th Army was being formed in the rear and the 16th Army was being redirected to the Western Front. That should be around 40 units plus the ones forming or begin redirected (plus the ones that might have scaped your initial attacks).

On any case, dont worry. At this stage soviet units are a joke compared to yours.

(in reply to JTP)
Post #: 2
RE: Road to Smolensk scenario question - 2/18/2016 11:26:36 AM   
JTP

All true, however, they weren't all lined up, head to toe, front to back, several echelons deep, on the east back of the Dnepr, landbridge, points north,etc., especially in the first week of July.

To me, smacks of a game trigger resulting in a very arcade game-like tactic, used to make the game difficult, just for difficulties sake, for the axis player.

(in reply to No idea)
Post #: 3
RE: Road to Smolensk scenario question - 2/18/2016 11:34:44 AM   
morvael

Time to play PBEM... AI has various helpers (from the perspective of human player cheats) to survive the onslaught.

(in reply to JTP)
Post #: 4
RE: Road to Smolensk scenario question - 2/18/2016 4:55:21 PM   
JTP

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

Time to play PBEM... AI has various helpers (from the perspective of human player cheats) to survive the onslaught.

Good point !

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 5
RE: Road to Smolensk scenario question - 2/18/2016 5:01:13 PM   
HansBolter

I'm still a noob myself, but have seen no difficulty in wading through the multiple echelons with my panzers like a hot knife through butter.

Bear in mind that you're seeing multiple echelons of combat value 1 units in level 0 forts.

Not to mention that many of the units in those echelons turn out to he HQs and air bases.

What it appears to me to be is a tactic designed to make me pay the maximum amount of movement points to wade through it.

Each echelon requires me to expend movement points to attack it and additional movement points for moving into and through ZOCs.

The key is to use your infantry as much as possible to bore the hole through the barrier leaving your tanks with the most possible movement points for exploitation.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 2/18/2016 6:02:25 PM >

Hans

(in reply to JTP)
Post #: 6
RE: Road to Smolensk scenario question - 2/18/2016 9:09:15 PM   
JTP

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I'm still a noob myself, but have seen no difficulty in wading through the multiple echelons with my panzers like a hot knife through butter.

Bear in mind that you're seeing multiple echelons of combat value 1 units in level 0 forts.

Not to mention that many of the units in those echelons turn out to he HQs and air bases.

What it appears to me to be is a tactic designed to make me pay the maximum amount of movement points to wade through it.

Each echelon requires me to expend movement points to attack it and additional movement points for moving into and through ZOCs.

The key is to use your infantry as much as possible to bore the hole through the barrier leaving your tanks with the most possible movement points for exploitation.

<shrug> In the smolensk scenario, vast majority have at least a fort level of one, vast majority have decent combat values, and each turn spent wading through them, the others not involved have their fort level go up to two.

Well aware, and use the standard infantry tactic.

Heck, I took Vitebsk itself, had a bridgehead across the Dvina too, with the 3rd pzg on the *second* turn, facing only a few units in the area...............next turn, surrounded on three sides (not cut off) by several dozen two and three deep........and it's that way from the top of the map, to the bottom.

The world's most impressive logistical feat, in the time frame simulated.

It's like once you hit the Dnepr/Dvina rivers and/or the town on them, a trigger in the game kicks in.

< Message edited by JTP -- 2/18/2016 10:11:12 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: Road to Smolensk scenario question - 4/11/2016 3:51:59 AM   
con

I too am having real difficulties on this scenario. I have played it 4 or 5 times and I just cant seem to get my units far enough forward by turn three to capture the key areas (the line from Vitbesk to the River).

What tips and or strategies have others done to win as the axis with the latest build? Am i missing something simple (like replacing a key leader, or only using your rail repair int he Baltic region etc)

Thanks
Con

(in reply to JTP)
Post #: 8
RE: Road to Smolensk scenario question - 4/11/2016 9:48:08 PM   
JTP

After playing this a few more times, it's become a piece of cake.

The key is, destroy Soviet units.

Period.

Not rout, etc., but encircle, and eliminate.

You should have units of both PzC at or over the Dvina and Dnepr by turn two/three.

Encircling units is the key.

I've found the historical PzC "lines of travel" if you will, work great.

Hope this helps.

< Message edited by JTP -- 4/11/2016 9:49:12 PM >

(in reply to con)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Road to Smolensk scenario question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI