Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Win10...I wuz warned!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Win10...I wuz warned!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/2/2016 3:44:09 PM   
m10bob

When Win10 came down the road, I eagerly upgraded for free, online, and for the most part it seemed to be working, but I share files with folks all over the world, and many of them are professional IT kinda guys.
They were warning me to go back to Win7 and told me of many bugs being found.
They feel the issue is with the version which was offered free, online, but not the version already installed on new CPU's.

Well, last week my computer finally crashed exactly with the symptoms described from here to Ne Zealand, Austria, the Netherlands, and all points between.

The darned thing will boot into "safe mode" and at that point will not even recognize you as the administrator of the computer!!!..
After failing with alt-cntrl-delete, and the ESC button, and holding the power button for ten seconds, and all other forms of trickery on my part, I finally had to use system recovery, (No, not restore from a prior date, that failed as well, I had to go full recovery.
I did it from inside the control panel so did not lose much of my apps nor other files.
(I have 4 HD's daisy chained together with approx 2000 Gigs so my larger files were not on my C drive anyway..)

Just passing this along so if you get that darned "SAFE MODE" problem, you may remember how I got out of it...

< Message edited by m10bob -- 2/2/2016 4:50:15 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/2/2016 4:05:15 PM   
BillBrown

Easier to not get into that mess.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 2
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/2/2016 4:10:28 PM   
Lecivius

Both my laptops are on it. Gawds <crosses fingers>

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 3
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/2/2016 9:01:22 PM   
Fallschirmjager

I changed over in July and disliked it and went back to 7
I got a new laptop/tablet 2 in 1 in late Nov with Windows 10 and I really like it

It is between 8-10% faster than Windows 7
If I were to upgrade I would do a clean install and avoid the upgrade path. Most of the big issues I have seen are people doing the upgrade path instead of a format and clean install.
That is what I did back in July because I was lazy and that is where almost all of my problems were.
GPU drivers never did work right and all of my account permissions were not correct so anything that required a launcher would not work.

The new PC with a clean install of Windows 10 works perfectly
I also took out the HDD that came with the device and put in a 1 TB SSD and did a clean install and 10 installed in under 25 minutes.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/2/2016 9:43:12 PM   
Alpha77

See also: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4017969

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 5
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/3/2016 7:21:21 AM   
Reg

I just spent too much time today with colleague a who updated his 4 year old (not particularly ancient) Asus laptop to Win 10 and was complaining it wasn't doing some things that it used to under Win7 (no extended desktop and a few other things). A quick look indicated that his NVidia video drivers weren't working and it had defaulted back to the generic Microsoft video driver.

Some research indicates that this is as good as it gets as his video card is obsolete (in a 4 yr old computer!!!) and is no longer supported. He was lucky in they must have relented and put out a Win10 driver (with reduced functuality as reported by other users) but least he has a usable display and not the black screen they were getting a few months ago.

His options seem to be revert to Win7 or buy new hardware. Do your homework before you press that button on the task bar guys....

< Message edited by Reg -- 2/3/2016 9:57:48 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 6
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/3/2016 12:42:37 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

I just spent too much time today with colleague a who updated his 4 year old (not particularly ancient) Asus laptop to Win 10 and was complaining it wasn't doing some things that it used to under Win7 (no extended desktop and a few other things). A quick look indicated that his NVidia video drivers weren't working and it had defaulted back to the generic Microsoft video driver.

Some research indicates that this is as good as it gets as his video card is obsolete (in a 4 yr old computer!!!) and is no longer supported. He was lucky in they must have relented and put out a Win10 driver (with reduced functuality as reported by other users) but least he has a usable display and not the black screen they were getting a few months ago.

His options seem to be revert to Win7 or buy new hardware. Do your homework before you press that button on the task bar guys....

This is the real issue with any OpSys upgrade: do your hardware component vendors have the drivers to work? And as indicated above, if the components are more than even a year old, maybe not.
Hardware evolves and updates so often and once a sale is made and a model no longer in production it is difficult for a hardware company to assign assets to supporting legacy hardware.

So, yes, check for supported updates on ALL hardware before doing an OpSys upgrade.

Pax

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 7
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/3/2016 4:13:48 PM   
kaleun

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 8
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/3/2016 4:42:28 PM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

What is his GPU? I find it hard to believe that his cards are no longer supported.
I can still get drivers for my Nvidia 295 cards and those are approaching 7 years old.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 9
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/5/2016 8:37:11 PM   
Reg

Geforce 210M GPU.

As I said above the internet scuttlebutt from around mid 2015 was these early GPUs were never going to be supported as they had reached end of life* though as it transpired there were drivers released later by both Microsoft and NVidia - they work but just aren't very good

(* and still being used in laptops when only a few years from EOL!! )

BTW he had the latest NVidia Win 10 driver installed but it wasn't working...

< Message edited by Reg -- 2/5/2016 10:24:49 PM >

Cheers,
Reg.

Post #: 10
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/5/2016 8:42:33 PM   
BillBrown

Windows 7 will get support until October 31, 2020. It will be time to change then.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 11
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/5/2016 9:32:54 PM   
Reg

Those four years will fly by........

Cheers,
Reg.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 12
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/5/2016 9:34:52 PM   
BillBrown

I am all ready 69, I wonder if I will last that long.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 13
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/5/2016 10:33:16 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

+ONE

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DW Series-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 14
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/6/2016 2:08:22 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

Geforce 210M GPU.

As I said above the internet scuttlebutt from around mid 2015 was these early GPUs were never going to be supported as they had reached end of life* though as it transpired there were drivers released later by both Microsoft and NVidia - they work but just aren't very good

(* and still being used in laptops when only a few years from EOL!! )

BTW he had the latest NVidia Win 10 driver installed but it wasn't working...

The latest Nvidia gameready driver works with that card. You cannot use the GeForce experience, but you can force install it.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 15
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 2/28/2016 12:01:41 AM   
Reg

If you guys are interested in the latest instalment of the sorry saga above I'll fill you in.

My colleague (who is a bit of a computer numpty) decided he wasn't satisfied with the reduced graphics capability from the Nividia Win10 driver (which didn't work anyway) so he got on to ASUS phone support who informed him his laptop was definitely non-Windows 10 compatible (despite what Microsoft said) and recommended he revert to Windows 7. He then got on to Microsoft phone support who walked him through the recovery process. Unfortunately the recovery from the hard drive partition failed so he had to restore from CD and driver disk. Now he found the laptop would not connect to the internet via wireless and some other annoying glitches. He was also disappointed to find the reinstall did not include MSOffice which had come pre-installed with the laptop. MS wouldn't install Office without a key so it was back to ASUS for a licence key which ASUS refused to give him (must be their corporate key). Looks like he has now got to go out and buy another copy of MS Office.
To make matters worse he lost all his data and emails. On my advice he had backed up his uni files (phew!! ) but he was told he could not back up his emails (not sure by who but that is rubbish - MS Outlook saves to a .pst file which can easily be backed up).
In the end he has taken the laptop to a local tech who is going to rebuild it from scratch and make sure everything works... (and had a few issues himself by the way).
All in all it has been an expensive, time consuming (5 hours on the phone) and frustrating exercise brought about by naively clicking on a button on a perfectly good and capable machine.

As you can imagine he is not a happy chappie and who could blame him.

As I said above do your homework before you click on that inviting button......

< Message edited by Reg -- 2/28/2016 12:45:34 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

Post #: 16
RE: Win10...I wuz warned!!! - 3/17/2016 4:06:21 AM   
Ian R

Interesting Reg.

My old (5 years) fairly basic lap top (running Vista) that I have just replaced - which I thought had just got old and hot and broke - was being bombarded with windows 10 update offers that I refused. Once I caught it doing what looked like a count down to upgrade though I am now wondering if the boot up noises followed by the blank black screen are as you say a result of a a perfectly good and capable machine having an incompatible OS imposed on it* when I left it on overnight.

There's a technical chappie coming over in a couple of hours to see if he can extract my last couple of months data. I'll be interested to see what he finds.

- * as opposed to the machine being incompatible with the OS

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Win10...I wuz warned!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI