Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Elevations Overlay

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Elevations Overlay Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Elevations Overlay - 1/27/2016 4:17:27 PM   
JohnOsb

I decide to try something different to show the elevations instead of having those blasted numbers cluttering up the map
Not sure if the color I used is good or not, any suggestions on what I could use for the elevations?

Post #: 1
RE: Elevations Overlay - 1/27/2016 5:54:52 PM   
rocketman71

I like this idea, and the colors work well. However, it might work less well with the underlying map being of brighter colors. I play with stock maps in FC:RS Player's Edition and I suspect that the more green/blue color the map is, that it might "bleed throgh" as you have a semi-transparent overlay.

(in reply to JohnOsb)
Post #: 2
RE: Elevations Overlay - 1/27/2016 9:41:50 PM   
WildCatNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnOsb

I decide to try something different to show the elevations instead of having those blasted numbers cluttering up the map
Not sure if the color I used is good or not, any suggestions on what I could use for the elevations?

Hi John,

interesting approach. What issue are you trying to address? Improving the ability to read absolute elevation values, or improving the ability to see elevation deltas (steps) between hexes?

p.s. the other FGR small 'Fulda' map (Rasdorf) might be a better test case as it has more elevation, and more plateaus at high elevation, where the theme (inverted_summer) runs out of its five colors.

William

OTS "garden boy"

(in reply to JohnOsb)
Post #: 3
RE: Elevations Overlay - 1/27/2016 10:57:17 PM   
JohnOsb

quote:

ORIGINAL: W1ll14m

quote:

Hi John,

interesting approach. What issue are you trying to address? Improving the ability to read absolute elevation values, or improving the ability to see elevation deltas (steps) between hexes?

p.s. the other FGR small 'Fulda' map (Rasdorf) might be a better test case as it has more elevation, and more plateaus at high elevation, where the theme (inverted_summer) runs out of its five colors.

William

All of the above was just playing around working on a graphics overlay and decided to try doing an overlay showing the elevations. This was just for me and decided to post, and to see what other players think. I already did the elevations on the Eiterfeld map.

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 4
RE: Elevations Overlay - 1/28/2016 1:24:11 PM   
CapnDarwin

John would it be helpful to you if the elevation function did a red/green overlay like the LOS function does? Something we can look at for Southern Storm.

< Message edited by Capn Darwin -- 1/28/2016 2:25:28 PM >

Work on Southern Storm continues and we will hopefully have news about our new website and even whispers of Beta Testing soon!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to JohnOsb)
Post #: 5
RE: Elevations Overlay - 1/28/2016 1:52:11 PM   
JohnOsb

yes, that would be good.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 6
RE: Elevations Overlay - 2/1/2016 12:32:55 AM   
CapnDarwin

Maybe something like this...be seen in the 11.2 beta.

Attachment (1)

Work on Southern Storm continues and we will hopefully have news about our new website and even whispers of Beta Testing soon!

(in reply to JohnOsb)
Post #: 7
RE: Elevations Overlay - 2/1/2016 4:53:18 AM   
kipanderson

Hi,

people do a lot of very creative stuff with the maps.

They look good.

All the best,
Kip.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Elevations Overlay - 2/1/2016 9:16:41 AM   
HobbesACW

That is a lot clearer. Very nice.

(in reply to kipanderson)
Post #: 9
RE: Elevations Overlay - 2/1/2016 10:56:56 AM   
CapnDarwin

This color overlay will show if you use the Ctrl+e, show elevation function and have the advanced los color option on. The somewhat ugly yellows, oranges, browns palette allows for the overlays for LOS and others to highlight enough to be seen on the map.

< Message edited by Capn Darwin -- 2/1/2016 12:01:59 PM >

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 10
RE: Elevations Overlay - 2/1/2016 4:37:44 PM   
JohnOsb

I like the idea, but for me the reason I was trying to make my own elevation overlay was to not see all those numbers representing the elevations.
Would be nice if there is a way to turn off the numbers to show the color elevations and vice verse if players wont to see only numbers instead of the color elevations.
Just my two cents.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 11
RE: Elevations Overlay - 2/1/2016 5:35:40 PM   
CapnDarwin

We will be able to get fancier with options in Southern Storm. This was a simple plug in of some code similar to that done for LOS.

(in reply to JohnOsb)
Post #: 12
RE: Elevations Overlay - 2/1/2016 8:35:48 PM   
HobbesACW

quote:

I like the idea, but for me the reason I was trying to make my own elevation overlay was to not see all those numbers representing the elevations.
Would be nice if there is a way to turn off the numbers to show the color elevations and vice verse if players wont to see only numbers instead of the color elevations.
Just my two cents.

I agree. When the elevations are shown so clearly the numbers just get in the way. There is no need for them.

(in reply to JohnOsb)
Post #: 13
RE: Elevations Overlay - 2/1/2016 11:54:53 PM   
CapnDarwin

I'll see what I can do about the numbers if I get some time to circle back.

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Elevations Overlay Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI