Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> After Action Report >> RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier - 2/7/2016 5:06:11 PM   
bootlegger267

Ed Donnally looked at his situation map. He had 4 routes with question marks annotated. Where would the Soviet force in Margretenhaun go? If it continued west towards Fulda, the whole rear area would be threatened. South or east could be contained.

The other concerned the BMP's spotted by the A10 pilot. He heard the report and for the past 30 minutes, no sighting. Where did they go?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bootlegger267 -- 2/7/2016 6:08:33 PM >

(in reply to bootlegger267)
Post #: 31
RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier - 2/11/2016 1:07:32 AM   
bootlegger267

0957Z....The rain came in quick, with low dark clouds. Visibility dropped to less than 500m which couldn't have happened at a better time. There were Russian Helecopters reported moving east to west following the L3379. The bad weather would hamper their efforts but they were only 2 kilometers away from his scratch force of 6 tanks. It also gave Ward time to regroup what little was left of his unit. Dan Merritt had just radioed that the lead elements of Apache had reached the secondary positions and he was holding Cruel in place at the Wolferts BP. He didn't want Ivan slipping in the backdoor....

"IronHorse 6, this is Slick 6 on your net over." "This is 6, nice to hear your voice Slick." Ward gave the Aviation Cdr of the Regt the coordinates he needed scouted and reinforced. 8 AH1 Cobra's were now on station and Ward needed a break. Now he got two......

Post #: 32
RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier - 2/14/2016 2:35:44 PM   
bootlegger267

"Duke 6, Ironhourse 6, orders to follow, over." Ward split the front in two. Every unit east of Friesenhausen fell under 1/68Ar. B/1/68Ar was chopped to 1/11ACR. Ward would dedicate one battery of his artillery to 1/68 and had a flight of AH1 Cobra's on station to support A/68Ar position. Aero Sct's had spotted enemy armor vic 373180 and 393183. Those were targeted by his FSO for an MLRS mission. Ward also had placed one of his valuable FASCAM missions along the L3429 just south of Margretenhausen.

The flight of Russian attack helo's that was between Langenbieber and Margretenhausen was his largest concern at the moment. Their presence was preventing him from moving his forces to relieve the units holding Almendorf.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bootlegger267 -- 2/14/2016 3:37:10 PM >

Post #: 33
RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier - 2/20/2016 12:25:14 AM   
bootlegger267

1049Z...10 minutes prior, Blackhorse 6, The Regt Cdr, has put out a net call announcing that the Russians were pulling back across the sector. Ward was not convinced of that. His plan to reestablish contact with his Alpha Trp went to hell 5 minutes in as the weather, that blew in so quickly, blew out just as fast. The Russian attack helo's wasted no time in flying into Dipperz causing havoc. The battering that 3/11 ACR took on his right flank was evident when a mech company supported by tanks was spotted on the N458 west of Dietges. C/1/68Ar had just fought off a 2 Company assualt into Wolferts, and A/1/68Ar was set to block any further advance west down the N458 highway.

He still had to fight this fight. The 1/11 TOC had backed off 3km's before the Hind's appeared over Dipperz. Ward dismounted his tank and went to the FSO's M577. He showed Degado where he wanted FASCAM targeted along the N458, and a DPICM strike against the enemy force that was west of Dieges.

His concerns about Alpha were removed when it was they who ended up destroying the Russian tank Company in Margretenhaun. When they left the town and headed towards Bockels, their long ranged fires wittled down the enemy to a few survivors.

As Ward remounted, he looked over at his MAster Gunner and said "If we can just hold for a little bit longer, we got em..."

Post #: 34
RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier - 2/20/2016 11:10:46 PM   
bootlegger267

Situation 1049Z

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bootlegger267 -- 2/21/2016 12:12:42 AM >

Post #: 35
RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier - 2/21/2016 3:56:20 PM   
bootlegger267

Ward's Hq's was now located in the outskirts of Friesenhausen. Dan Merritts 1/68Ar Hq's was about 1 km to his south. A light rain was falling again as he got off his tank and started to walk to the S3 track. Sam Jordan was at his side as they approached the track. "Ed, get Duke 6 on the net and tell him to meet us in that school yard. After you do, bring your map and brief us on enemy forces and intent" Ward was pointing to a building with tables in a fenced in area as he talked. Friesenhausen was untouched, unlike the other small towns and villages in the area.

As the group reached the building, the sound of an approaching tank made everyone look up. Merritt also rode in his loaders hatch as the tank came to a stop. Ward walked over as the 1/68Ar Cdr dismounted. "Dan, you and your troops were brilliant" said Ward as he held out his hand. "It was close Sir." replied Merritt. "When Ivan came out of the woods on the east side of Wolferts with those BMP's and got up close, I thought we were screwed. Apache Co, after they pulled out of Wolferts and displaced to the secondary positions, got hit by heavy indirect and took losses. It's down to half strength but still combat efective. They are overwatching the N458 out of Dietges" reported Merritt.

"Ed, what do you have on the enemy?" "Sir, Ivan attacked us with all 4 regiments. By my estimates 300 tanks and 200 BMP/BTR's were destroyed along with numerous support vehicles and personnel. His artillery is still very dangerous though, and he'll take every opportunity to hit us with it because as of now that's really all he's got." stated Donnally. There's an understrength Mech Co. west of Dietges that was stopped by Tony's FASCAM. Another understrength Tank Co around Bierberstein, and one more in the vic of the K21/L3379 intersection. He has some ADA units in Dipperz as well as a few Plt sized elements here and here." as Donnally pointed on his map.

"We may see a few local, small unit attacks but nothing heavy." I just dont know what is in these areas" said Donnaly as he finnished his brief.

"I tell Slick 6 to send some birds to check out the Almendorf/Traisbach area but everywhere else is crawling with enemy air defense."

S2 situation map.......

Attachment (1)

Post #: 36
RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier - 2/21/2016 4:28:32 PM   
bootlegger267

"All of you know that Charlie and Delta Troops are gone, Bravo has a few tanks and ground Scouts, and Alpha is about 40% strength. Dan your Bushwacker Co is currently rearming and is in decent shape except for the Hq's element. They are overwatching the valley between Dipperz and Wolferts, closing off the K21 to the east and the L3258 to the west." Merritt added, "Cruel has pulled off the Wolferts spur and is also rearming. Apache is screening the N458 and I have a section moving to this village here to cover the L3307 out of Abtsroda. There's an aero scout keeping tabs on that mech company in case they get froggy, but reports are they are trying to pull back. It's the L3068 out of Dietges that worries me. I know 3rd Squadron took it just as hard as we did, but that flank is hangin in the wind right now." said Merritt.

"The only way to stay out of Ivan's artillery sight is to keep moving or to stay out of sight." said Ward. "Keep Cruel on the reverse slope for now. Another Aero Scout will check out the K21. Dan, once that Mech Co moves, shift the bird that's looking over them to the south and make sure no surprises are there. Once we get rearmed, this is what I'm looking to do....

Post #: 37
RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier - 2/21/2016 4:56:01 PM   
bootlegger267

Wards Map........

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bootlegger267 -- 2/21/2016 5:57:16 PM >

Post #: 38
RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier - 2/21/2016 5:51:38 PM   
bootlegger267

Ward dismissed the group and they all started back to their vehicles. "Dan, hold up a sec"..whispered Ward before the Cdr of 1/68Ar got too far away. "Dan, most of my troops are wounded or dead. You have alot of casualties as well. I'm not planning anything grandiose here. If either of us runs into something, we hunker down and preserve the force. I have Tony dirting up the battlefield with smoke when he can, but its a limited resource. We have DPICM missions along with FASCAM. Use em as you see fit, don't come through me. I already gave Tony the word."

Post #: 39
RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier - 2/21/2016 9:34:17 PM   
bootlegger267

1302Z...C/1/68Ar had finished rearming as the second Aero Scout arrived. Then the skies opened up. VIsability was 500m or less. It was good for covering movement in a secure environment and this place was anything but secure. At the same time looking for Ivan was also dangerous. Bad coordination between Air and ground cost Slick 6 a scout. They reoccupied the Wolferts BP with one Plt ordered to Kleinsassen.

Ward acknowledged Duke 6's report that the Aero Scout found no emeny sighted between the N458 and Dietges. Apache's screen would move east 1500m's with implicit orders to not engage any enemy forces larger than squad or tank.

B/1/68Ar began their assault on Dipperz. The leas elements were in the southern outskirts moving towards the town center.

30 minutes later, B1/68Ar rolled into Dipperz. Their tank fires along with Chaparral support took down 3 Hinds.

1400Z...C/1/68Ar had just secured Kliensassen when Col Ward was ordered by Blackhorse 6 to pull back to the positions south of the N458 highway. Conditions in 3rd Squardron's sector had deteriorated and they were no longer able to secure Ward's right flank.

The Russian's would gain control of the highground east of Fulda, but they didn't achieve a breakthrough. Team Ironhorse had inflicted heavy losses upon the 79th GTD. Over a 5-1 ratio.

"Guidons, this is 6, disengage and fall back to LD positions. Report RedCon status to the 3, over.................."

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bootlegger267 -- 2/21/2016 11:34:33 PM >

Post #: 40
RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier - 2/28/2016 11:03:07 PM   
bootlegger267

AAR....As a Commander, I would have been relieved of command. I did not preserve the force......

Yes, the sacrifice of an Armored Cav Squadron at the price of a front line Russian Tank Division seems about right. They totally slowed down the timetable.

I did play this a bit out of the ordinary as there were "many" GDP postures in play at the time Each was a variation of an "Active Defense"....The one I played out was one of the more "Aggressive" ie..Tanks out front.

This was not the posture that powers to be decided on in real life.

That one I play next..........

Thanks for the comments!

Bootlegger

Post #: 41
RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier - 2/29/2016 12:14:40 AM   
Stimpak

Excellent AAR regardless, and I enjoyed reading every bit of it. Can't wait for the next one.

Post #: 42
RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier - 2/29/2016 12:30:32 AM   
JohnOsb

I agree as well, excellent AAR, looking forward for the next one.

(in reply to Stimpak)
Post #: 43
RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier - 2/26/2019 1:24:20 PM   
RangerJoe

I thought that Delta was a tank company and not a cavalry troop. I do not see the border on the map, the roads from East to West would have been cut by the border fences and other installations.

With the M-1s, you can fire a long ways and hit the target, destroying it while the Soviet equipment (as I understand it) was not as accurate. The M-1s primary targets should have been any ADA (APCs with visible missiles mounted not to mention the ZSUs) and then any vehicle with an antenna since only the command vehicles had radios. Also, My understanding was that the Soviet units were smaller with a tank company having only 10 tanks while the US tank company had 17. I believe that the US Cavalry troops there also had 12 M-1 tanks.

Where were the combat engineers or were they still laying fortifications? The road through the woods from Niederbieber to Margretenhaun should have had the bridge blown and an abbatis built - or more than one. There could have been mines, booby traps and Scouts keeping overwatch to call artillery down on any Soviet units attempting to remove such road obstacles. A claymore or two for mass editing of enemy ground personnel trying to remove the roadblocks would have been particularly effective, not to mention barrels of napalm giving them fits. There also could have been road craters made as well.

The helos, whether Cobras or Apaches, if they were armed with Hellfire missiles could have stayed under cover while another unit spotted for them. I thought that the observation helicotpers as well as the attack helicopters had observation and missile tracking devices placed on top of their rotors so they could track targets with very little showing. The A-10s could also have been armed with such missiles so they would not have had to make attack runs, leaving them vulnerable to ant-aircraft fire. When the enemy ADA was suppressed or destroyed, then they would have come in with their 30mm cannons.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

(in reply to JohnOsb)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> After Action Report >> RE: Narrative AAR Fulda Frontier Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI