Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air Flotilla's, torpedoes and range ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Air Flotilla's, torpedoes and range ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air Flotilla's, torpedoes and range ? - 12/23/2015 4:51:28 PM   
scout1

Couldn't find this in the manual (sure it may be there, just not obvious to me) .....

Land based a/c (Nells/Bettys) require a source of torpedoes which comes from the Air Flotilla's and/or Air Fleet's. Got a few questions concerning the logistics of this ....
1) How close do the a/c need to be to get torpedo reloads ? I See the Air Flotilla has a command radius of 1. Its ability to reload torp's has to be further than that ?
2) Can close by a/c groups not part of the Air Flotilla command structure get any torp's, or are they SOL ?
3) The selection of torp ordnance is up to 20 (thought you can increase in subsequent turns) @ 10 supply each
a) Is the number selected an abstraction ? Or are you actually getting 20 torp's ? And is this number per turn per turn ? So if I'm trying to supply a group of 36 Nells, I should be requesting 36+ ?
b) Do the unused torp's stockpile ?

Basically, it is not clear to me just how this is implemented and the restrictions/constraints ..... Any insight would be appreciated. And where it may be in the manual .....
Post #: 1
RE: Air Flotilla's, torpedoes and range ? - 12/23/2015 6:05:13 PM   
Lokasenna

1) The "Command Radius" of the Air HQ. It is not just Air Flotilla or Air Fleet units - the Air Army units can do it as well. Any unit that is type HQa (and has the Torpedo device in their TOE, although in stock all HQa's have it).

2) It does not matter what command/HQ the air unit is assigned to.

3) You can assign 20 torpedoes at a time to the air HQ. You can also click on the "Show TOE" button at the bottom to be able to set the air HQ to attempt to replenish its torpedo supply every turn. I typically set this number at an amount where my full complement of planes can strike 2 times per day without running out of torpedoes. Sometimes this is a very high number... For 36 Nells, you would want to pull at least 72 torpedoes into the HQa.

Keep in mind that there are other factors which determine whether a plane loads a torpedo for a strike, such as DL of the target and aggression (I believe). A commander may (seemingly rarely) choose not to use torpedoes on a low-value target. You must also have the minimum airfield size. For Kates/Jills/Avengers/etc., you may only need AF 2+. For Nells, which are considered Level Bombers, you will need a larger AF (I think 4, without looking up specifics). If you don't meet the minimum size requirement, then the planes will fly with their reduced load only and will only fly out to normal range (no extended). For almost all planes that carry torpedoes, the reduced load is bombs instead of torpedoes.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 2
RE: Air Flotilla's, torpedoes and range ? - 12/23/2015 9:43:10 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

If you have more torpedoes than are used in the strike they are just left in the Air HQ inventory. You can add more torpedoes or have the Air HQ replenish to get the numbers back up.
There is no inventory of torpedoes in the system to stockpile - they just come out of supply on the assumption that the logistics system would anticipate needs and produce/deliver enough torpedoes to meet demand. This was likely done to avoid having a player use up his entire inventory in one battle and having to wait months for replacements to arrive.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 3
RE: Air Flotilla's, torpedoes and range ? - 12/23/2015 10:34:14 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

Couldn't find this in the manual (sure it may be there, just not obvious to me) .....

Land based a/c (Nells/Bettys) require a source of torpedoes which comes from the Air Flotilla's and/or Air Fleet's. Got a few questions concerning the logistics of this ....
1) How close do the a/c need to be to get torpedo reloads ? I See the Air Flotilla has a command radius of 1. Its ability to reload torp's has to be further than that ?

Yep, one hex. Many Air Hq's have a better range you just have to find 'em and get 'em where you need them.

2) Can close by a/c groups not part of the Air Flotilla command structure get any torp's, or are they SOL ?

Any air HQ will supply any A/C capable of carrying torps as long as its in range and has torps in its inventory.

3) The selection of torp ordnance is up to 20 (thought you can increase in subsequent turns) @ 10 supply each

The easiest way to keep an air HQ supplied with torps is to open up its TOE screen. From there you can set the torp level to your desired limit and the HQ will automatically attempt to maintain that level. This will expend supply at the HQ's base.

a) Is the number selected an abstraction ? Or are you actually getting 20 torp's ? And is this number per turn per turn ? So if I'm trying to supply a group of 36 Nells, I should be requesting 36+ ?

Just do as above and don't worry about it.

If you set the HQ as stated and the base has supply it will always maintain that level of torps. Set it and forget it.

Basically, it is not clear to me just how this is implemented and the restrictions/constraints ..... Any insight would be appreciated. And where it may be in the manual .....

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Air Flotilla's, torpedoes and range ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI