Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fog of War Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> Fog of War Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fog of War Question - 12/15/2015 11:46:30 PM   
SteveD64

In the outlined hex I'm fighting Napoleon, but I can't see any of his units that are in my hex. I never saw them enter the hex either. I'm playing medium FOW. And for some reason I can see all these other French units all around, but not the ones in my hex. Anybody run into this?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by CLEVELAND -- 12/16/2015 1:19:23 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Fog of War Question - 12/16/2015 1:29:40 AM   
76mm

Yes, I've encountered something similar. Moreover, sometimes I can't see some of my own units for a turn or two.

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 2
RE: Fog of War Question - 12/16/2015 4:12:02 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: CLEVELAND

In the outlined hex I'm fighting Napoleon, but I can't see any of his units that are in my hex. I never saw them enter the hex either. I'm playing medium FOW. And for some reason I can see all these other French units all around, but the ones in my hex. Anybody run into this?

It can be confusing when units get mixed in the same hex and, as the game resolves movement, I can see units being moved into and out of hexes, until the movement turn ends.

When a battle commencement is shown and the forces are listed (as in your screen shot), you sometimes see different a ratio of forces when the battle actually resolves. I am assuming that these are forces that have 'marched to the sound of the guns' and entered the battle after it has begun.

You often do not see all the enemy units in a stack and the only clue is the total units in the same stack, mouse-over a stack and look at the 'Stack' number in the top bar of the game screen ( like 'Stack 8'). If 5 of of them are yours, then 3 of them are enemy, even if you cannot see them.

You are seeing French units all around, but only 1 unit per hex, again mouse-over and see if these French units represent stacks, there is likely to be more there than you think (although the stack numbers will include supply and command units, as well as fighting units).

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 12/16/2015 6:16:45 AM >

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 3
RE: Fog of War Question - 12/16/2015 4:26:34 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Yes, I've encountered something similar. Moreover, sometimes I can't see some of my own units for a turn or two.

I have 'lost' units and usually they have withdrawn, or retreated after contact, but can go some distance and not be visible where you expect them. You can use the 'find' button on the left of the playing screen, but the stock hex highlight graphic is not very visible, so you need to search for the highlighted hex, or use a brighter highlight graphic symbol.

It is important to monitor the 'Retreat Point' which has been allocated to corps, or detached units. This needs to be close by the action, somewhere safe, but not too far. If you don't update, then a defeated unit could be heading off miles back to a 'Retreat Point' far in the rear, destroying themselves on the match and going out of your sight.

You often find missing units lurking in another friendly stack, after having fled the field.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 12/16/2015 5:27:08 AM >

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: Fog of War Question - 12/16/2015 12:16:29 PM   
SteveD64

quote:

You often do not see all the enemy units in a stack and the only clue is the total units in the same stack, mouse-over a stack and look at the 'Stack' number in the top bar of the game screen ( like 'Stack 8'). If 5 of of them are yours, then 3 of them are enemy, even if you cannot see them.

I had no idea that this "stack number" existed! Thanks for the tip.

Why am I able to see so many French units? Is it because they are in Austrian territory?

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 5
RE: Fog of War Question - 12/16/2015 2:28:49 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: CLEVELAND

quote:

I had no idea that this "stack number" existed! Thanks for the tip.

Why am I able to see so many French units? Is it because they are in Austrian territory?

Regardless of the settings, FOW is very strong in this game, but it does demonstrate the uncertainties of the era.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 12/16/2015 4:29:49 PM >

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> Fog of War Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI