Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Theatre violation penalties not working properly

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Tech Support >> Theatre violation penalties not working properly Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Theatre violation penalties not working properly - 12/10/2015 12:26:07 AM   
ChuckBerger

Playing as Soviets, mid-September, and I've got the better part of 3 armies from centre front operating in the northern front area. I managed to cut off all of the German AGN by a thrust through to Riga. Hee hee.

Anyway, my PP income is 15, and I ended the previous turn with 7 PP saved up.

At the start of the next turn, the "Theatre Violation!" report pops up, and a total of 20 units have a "penalty incurred -1 PP" note, not counting all the units that just have a warning.

And yet I have 21PP, far more than I expected I would have given the massive theatre violation penalties.

So I open up the daily log - staff - and find the following explanation:

- Theatre Violations by Unit -20PP
- German units killed last turn +6PP
- Base Command allowance +15PP

So I expected I would have 7, minus 20, plus 6, plus 15 = 8PP.

Instead, it looks like what happens is the theatre violations gets applied first, reduced my pool of PPs to zero but not going negative, and then the base allowance and bonus for killed units get applied, giving me my total of 21 PP.

In other words, the operations are happening sequentially, rather than all at once. As a result, the penalty for theatre violations is effectively capped at whatever I have saved up.

Is this working as intended? It seems odd, because in effect I'm hardly being penalised at all for such a massive theatre violation!

Post #: 1
RE: Theatre violation penalties not working properly - 12/10/2015 10:15:01 PM   
lancer

Hi ChuckBerger,

It's WAD.

It's an exploitable hole in the design but one that's difficult to resolve. Having the Player's PP's go negative results in a rapid death spiral.

While it'd be possible to take into account the additional PP's gained and subtract those this wouldn't stop a determined player from incurring massive violation penalties knowing that the cost is capped to whatever PP's he has on hand.

To date it hasn't been a problem as everybody has taken heed of the traffic rules. You're the first rebel.

I might have to consider sterner measures.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to ChuckBerger)
Post #: 2
RE: Theatre violation penalties not working properly - 12/10/2015 10:20:13 PM   
Michael T

Just make them go to zero if zero or less is left after your total is calc.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 3
RE: Theatre violation penalties not working properly - 12/10/2015 10:43:06 PM   
willgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

Just make them go to zero if zero or less is left after your total is calc.

I agree that would be a good direction to go. It certainly would resolve the OP's issue.

Even if you go out of your way to abuse, starting with zero PP is tough!

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 4
RE: Theatre violation penalties not working properly - 12/10/2015 10:53:13 PM   
Flaviusx

The AI routinely violates this as well and gets away with it too btw.

I've seen it march the entirety of 4th Army as the German to the southern theater in the direction of Kharkov, among other things. One of the reasons the south is such a pain to defend.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 5
RE: Theatre violation penalties not working properly - 12/11/2015 5:55:15 AM   
lancer

Hi,

The AI is immune from theatre violation penalties but does attempt to stay within theatres.

It's been given the latitude to cross boundaries, where needed, if it judges that it can be more effective in doing so.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Tech Support >> Theatre violation penalties not working properly Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI