Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Germany Reforged-some disapointment

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Germany Reforged-some disapointment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Germany Reforged-some disapointment - 11/21/2015 6:42:30 PM   
Steelwhip

I will have to say that I am disappointed with Germany Reforged.

A number of the scenarios seem to be very...bleh. All the defenders set up on a small radius of hexes from the VP locations and the attackers come on with pretty much one avenue of approach to the VPS.

I feel there is a lack of....tactical flexability or control needed for the scenarios. its not like the Red Storm scenarios where in-say...Dawns Early light, the Soviets had a number of attack avenues to approach and the NATO HAD to respond to where ever the penetrations and thrusts came at. I'm not seeing any of this in Reforged.

I did a little test earlier today and did the scenario Forward Defense. I set the Germans up in a nice standard defense....and hit play. I didn't order a single unti to do a single thing the entire game. Just let it play out where the troops stood and let the AI come at me

I won in 3 hours with an 86%

Ive NEVER won a match in Red Storm with an 86%...and I didn't order a single unit the entire match.

I get that this is a port of a previous games scenarios. But it just seems that the translation didn't come over very well.

I will admit the new maps do look fantastic.....and I'm sure the gameplay is more exciting from the Soviet side of things...just feeling that the mark was missed with this DLC. If I'm missing something please let me know

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment - 11/21/2015 7:56:05 PM   
budd

I've only played the smaller ones and of the ones i've played it certainly seems your right now that i think about it. i would think the medium to larger ones would have more tactical options? I guess it all depends on the amount of VP's and the locations. The VP's have been bunched more in the smaller battles with limited approaches.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Steelwhip)
Post #: 2
RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment - 11/21/2015 7:59:37 PM   
wodin

I'm waiting for the expansion to Red Storm. Though I may pick this up at some point if I have abit of spare cash.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 3
RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment - 11/21/2015 8:44:53 PM   
zakblood

you need to remember these are the older battles / maps just made into the newer game engine / version, and just what many wanted as previous players of the old game are used to them i'd guess, but it's like everything now days, while some enjoy a blast from the past, others would maybe like the same format as on the newer maps / battles, for me i like it, then again i loved the old Germany ones as well...

edited typo again lol

< Message edited by zakblood -- 11/21/2015 9:44:53 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment - 11/21/2015 9:17:20 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steelwhip

I get that this is a port of a previous games scenarios. But it just seems that the translation didn't come over very well.

I will admit the new maps do look fantastic.....and I'm sure the gameplay is more exciting from the Soviet side of things...just feeling that the mark was missed with this DLC. If I'm missing something please let me know

from a little bit of play with the new scenarios I think its the really big ones that offer something new. Trying to co-ordinate 4 Soviet tank divisions or several NATO formations is a new challenge that isn't in the original scenario set.

Now whether, given how the game plays, huger is better is a different question. I'm learning a lot with the new scenarios but keep on finding myself firing up 'Time to Dance' (with either side) because it is such a playable and challenging experience.

(in reply to Steelwhip)
Post #: 5
RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment - 11/21/2015 9:27:51 PM   
RangerX3X

I would have to say I agree and disagree with the OP: they pretty much play out as he describes, however they did come over (port) quite well.

The original game featured 12 sectors that existed on every map. The objectives in an overwhelming majority of scenarios were located in the same sector. NATO and the Warsaw Pact would fight for control of sector 3 or sectors 6 and 12, but mostly always the same.

Forward Defense from the original game, both sides have to fight for Sector 2 only, with NATO effectively starting there:

Very rarely were there objectives in different sectors, and rarer still were there objectives in multiple sectors.

The end result is in Flashpoint Germany one side was largely playing a defensive holding game (whether they started in the objective sector or not), and the other side would play an attacking game - rinse and repeat for the same sectors.

Flashpoint Campaigns is much more diverse in switching to Victory Points which can be strung out along a road or shotgun blast all over a map, making for a much more challenging and varied tactical situation.

But to replicate those original FPG scenarios, the VP pretty much have to be clustered together.

(in reply to Steelwhip)
Post #: 6
RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment - 11/22/2015 11:11:08 AM   
demyansk

Good points but I still like this game

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 7
RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment - 11/23/2015 9:56:11 AM   
Phoenix100

Try it H2H. I finished a game on this map (Soviet Punch Alt) with Alex1812, playing classic PBEM, me playing NATO, and it was nailbiting stuff, great fun, quite a close thing right to the end. He won a minor victory, but I think if he'd been up against someone better than me, someone with sense and know-how enough to try to keep at least a couple of units fresh and on high morale and readiness for the last hour (as he did)then it would have been a draw.

So far my experience (very very limited) has been that the GF scenarios are better balanced for H2H than the originals.

Peter

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 8
RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment - 11/24/2015 1:32:49 AM   
WABAC

I can never get anywhere with the Germans.

Next time I won't give them orders. Let them figure it out.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 9
RE: Germany Reforged-some disapointment - 11/24/2015 10:38:20 AM   
CapnDarwin

Sometime you can have a great defensive plan that just works. Sometime you need to adjust. Everyone plays and sees the game a bit differently and that's okay. Some find the game exciting and with tension and others don't. We are cool with that. You need to play games that you find interesting.

Work on Southern Storm continues. OTS will be at Connections UK in September (William)!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to WABAC)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Germany Reforged-some disapointment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI