Stimpak's New Maps (Nienburg released!)

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Stimpak

Stimpak's New Maps (Nienburg released!)

Post by Stimpak »

OP Under construction
This thread is dedicated to several maps I have worked on throughout my time enjoying FCRS, including both .fp9 data and map renders themselves.
I do almost all of my rendering in Paint.net, which is a free but less capable photoshop clone. My map renders change style frequently as more tools and experience becomes available to me, but I am getting closer to a dedicated "Style".

Maps I have worked on so far can be found throughout the thread, right now I am editing the OP to include a short list of them all for those who don't want to read through the whole thread.

East German Campaign maps
These four maps were apart of my first project for FCRS, a series of maps meant to cover the attack of the NVA 5. Armee as it supported 2GTA and 3CAA in the drive west.
The campaign later ran into problems regarding engine limitations and my own inexperience, and work on the campaign has, for the most part, been discontinued. I may consider remaking these, they were built without QGIS data and did not fully utilize the map scanner, resulting in playable, but mostly inaccurate maps.
These maps are:
Faßberg (CEG 1)
Bad Fallingbostel (CEG 2)
Verden (CEG 3)
Vechta (CEG 4)
Maps I missed in this area and may work on later include Soltau and Celle, the latter is a particular hotspot, being a stronghold of NATO forces.
Link to them all is here.

Jever, Bad Segeberg
These maps represented a style change from the arguably poor aesthetic of my original East German Campaign maps, but did not fix the issues related to terrain accuracy or data representation.
Bad Segeberg in particular is easily my most complex map and I spent the most time on it. Still, it was made without QGIS and the terrain may not be accurate.
Map links:
Jever

Bad Segeberg

Würzburg
Würzburg is a map not originally created by me. Instead, zwobot created this map using QGIS, and I merely provided a render which can be found in his thread for the map he created here

Nienburg
Nienburg, my latest map, is the first in which I made use of QGIS data and the FCRS value scanner. This map was produced rather quickly, taking only a few days. The map is both relatively accurate and fully playable.
fcrs_Nienburg
Tazak

RE: Faßberg (New Map)

Post by Tazak »

Stimpak, thanks for sharing, good looking map (better than my attempts [;)] )
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

A whole new map, covering the region around the German town (And airbase) of Faßberg.
The pre-war history of Fassberg air base includes a number of interesting details and well-known names. From the spring of 1933, not only airfields and planes were built for the German Air Force, numerous training centres were also created, and in the first years, because of the Versailles Treaty, they were called by names that veiled their real purpose.
An airfield was established in 1934. However, since Germany was not allowed to possess an air force (Luftwaffe) under the rules of the Treaty of Versailles, the airfield was supposed to serve a future air force.
Between 1934 and 1945 various Luftwaffe units were based on the air base, flying aircraft as diverse as Junkers Ju 52, Junkers Ju 88, Heinkel He 111, and towards the final stages of World War II Messerschmitt Me 163 and Messerschmitt Me 262.
In April 1945 the airfield was overrun by the British Army and subsequently used by the Royal Air Force. It was renamed first Airfield B 152 and later RAF Fassberg. During the Berlin Blockade RAF Fassberg played an important role as a hub for supplying the city.

Following the foundation of the Bundeswehr in 1955 and consequently the establishing of a German air force, Faßberg Air Base was returned to Germany on 1 January 1957. It was home of the Technical School of the Luftwaffe and for some time the Luftwaffe's Officer Training School. For fifteen years a helicopter pilot training school was also located at Faßberg Air base.

The local area has extensively been used in field exercises as well, by the British as well as the 9th Panzer (Lehr) Brigade, which operates locally here.

Faßberg Air Base is home to the army's Transport Helicopter Regiment 10 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 10) which was established in 1971. The regiment was first based at Celle Air Base but was moved to Faßberg in 1981. Transport Helicopter Regiment 10 is equipped with helicopters of the type Bell UH-1D. Other units stationed at the air base are the airforce's training school, a technical-logistical training centre for rotary wing aircraft run by both the air force and the army, part of the Franco-German training facilities for the Eurocopter Tiger, a medical services centre, a family support unit and part of the administration of Bergen-Hohne Training Area.

As we can see, this region is strategically important. So why just write it off with a few chemical strikes, when it's directly in the path of the 5. Armee (NVA)?

My full intention with this map (and 3 others planned) is to create a 4-part East German campaign. The terrain at first might seem friendly to Warsaw Pact units, but will grow harsher. The East Germans are well trained, but their equipment is lacking. If you play them like the Soviet steamroller you're used to, well, let's just say you're gonna have a bad time.

My first serious map attempt, I created this map in Paint.Net while using ArcGis and Google Maps as reference. Production time of this map was about 4 weeks (2 of which I spent actually working on it). Before I begin the three other maps, this one obviously needs a lot of polish and there's a few things I'm sure to have missed.
Criticism is more than welcome, heck, tear it apart if you have to. Don't go soft on me.

I'd like to thank the devs for creating this awesome game in the first place, as well as keeping it fresh with content and updates. Special thanks go out to Tebeinteresno and W1ll14m, Teb for inspiring me in the first place as well as providing me with the knowledge of ArcGis (Which helped me figure out elevations), and W1ll14m for providing the lovely map graphics that helped to make this map look a bit prettier.

Map
http://puu.sh/uJfLO/5cc1a962b5.zip
harry_vdk

Post by harry_vdk »

Hi,

The area of Faßberg Fliegerhorst is part of some larger training area's to.

And nice to see more map.

Note:
The link of the .png reference to the .fp9
Attachments
FabergFliegerhorst.jpg
FabergFliegerhorst.jpg (274.32 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
dox44

Post by dox44 »

aren't map and map file in post 1 same file?
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

My bad. It's fixed now.
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

Great job: superb map, with a back story, great graphics, and a .fp9 behind it that has correct map values (I checked : ) ).

Looking forward to your scenarios and next maps.

William
William
On Target Simulations LLC
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

Wouldn't have been half as good without your help, Will. Big thanks. [:D]
harry_vdk

Post by harry_vdk »

William,

Perhaps a idea, can you make some general textures like city's/forest/fields enz. For used within maps like this one and or replacement of the current HexDraw templates textures.

Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

First scenario is ready for testing.
You will need the data and map files listed in the OP.
Bruder Gegen Bruder Ver 1.1
(Don't expect the name to stick, it'll become CEG1 Somethingsomething eventually.)

EDIT: Note to self:
Test before release.
Test, before release.
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

Just finished the first full playthrough. A crushing 73% victory for East Germany.

That being said, the scenario is poorly balanced in favor of the East Germans. It'll have to be re-balanced.
Also, the .fp9 file has been updated due to a few errors that were present.
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

Stimpak

could you use a filesharing that doesn't require a signup to download from or if the file is less than 5mb zipped it and attach it to the forum post [:)] please

When you create a scenario it 'bakes' the user data file into the scenario file so users don't need to download that as well (think it does the unit icons as well)
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

When you create a scenario it 'bakes' the user data file into the scenario file so users don't need to download that as well

Not in my experience. Sharing the scenario without the relevant data causes a crash and renders the scenario unplayable.
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

you want to bug that then, it shouldn't/didn't required the data file for each scenario to play only when your editing the scenario
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

.FP9 has been updated again.

Scenario has received another update as well.

OP now includes all relevant files in one link: To install it, simply unzip the "FPRS" into Flashpoint Campaigns/Modules.
Be sure to back up your data.
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

Here's a little preview of Map #2... [;)]

WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

Bad Fallingbostel? If so, great choice. Please do check the name of the Böhme stream...

Tazak might have some info on the (former) BAOR facilities there (east of Bad Fallingbostel).

Looking forward to your next map!

William
William
On Target Simulations LLC
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

Yep, it's the second of the four planned maps. It'll mostly cover the training area between it and Bergen. No clue on where map #4 will be, but I plan to make map #3 the river junction between the Weser and Aller rivers at Verden. (Infact, that's not very far away from the area of CA5... perhaps I can tie it in somehow. Preventing an outflank, perhaps?)

And thanks for the name correction. Hard to read a background when it's covered by a hexgrid.
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

That is a very nice looking map.

[&o]
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

-snip-

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”