Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Franz Halder's War Diaries

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Franz Halder's War Diaries Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Franz Halder's War Diaries - 10/30/2015 3:43:01 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

I don't know how many people know this but Franz Halder's war diaries are available online at the following site (Combined Arms Research Library).

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p4013coll8/searchterm/War%20journal%20of%20Franz%20Halder/field/title/mode/all/conn/and

Really interesting to read this diary during game play and compare your progress with the historical advance. Especially interesting are his entries during blizzard.

All you have to do is click on the thumbnail and the diaries are downloaded.

The German version is also available online.

Post #: 1
RE: Franz Halder's War Diaries - 10/30/2015 4:08:20 PM   
loki100

thanks for this - its fascinating stuff

(in reply to Bozo_the_Clown)
Post #: 2
RE: Franz Halder's War Diaries - 10/30/2015 6:44:19 PM   
swkuh

Double thanks...

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Franz Halder's War Diaries - 10/30/2015 7:23:31 PM   
timmyab

Very interesting thank you.
I just spotted this from his June 23rd 1941 entry. Relevant to a lot of the discussions on this forum:

The situation looks more difficult in the sector of AG-p South, because in abandoning the original plan of operation, based on Romania, we have thrown away our best strategic opportunity.

This "original plan of operation" was the trapping of SW front in a Lvov style pocket.

< Message edited by timmyab -- 10/30/2015 8:25:08 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Franz Halder's War Diaries - 10/30/2015 7:24:13 PM   
timmyab

double post

< Message edited by timmyab -- 10/30/2015 8:24:35 PM >

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 5
RE: Franz Halder's War Diaries - 10/30/2015 7:54:59 PM   
chaos45

If I remember correctly the original plan wasnt used because of either politics with Romania or operational security. Much harder to keep troop movements secret in an allied nation people talk/word spreads....and especially in that area of Romania being close to Russia there was probably a decent population of maybe even pro communist/russian supporters/spies.

Also if you read on he talks of the heavy fighting AGS encountered.....much worse than the crap resistance Soviets units there in WITE put up. Its a weakness of the IGUGO system historical soviet units in the south reacted with an immediate coutnerattack....in this system they sit there get convienently surrounded which trashes their CV and are then rapidly mopped up by second rate infantry/security/Romanians/hungarians and slovakians.

While in real life they gave the entire panzer gruppe a run for its money so were quite beyond the capabilities of second rate formations to handle.

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 6
RE: Franz Halder's War Diaries - 10/30/2015 9:24:50 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

This "original plan of operation" was the trapping of SW front in a Lvov style pocket.

All very interesting. Halder's information from the Fuehrer Conference on 17 March:

AGp South; "It would be fundamentally wrong to attack everywhere." Pruth and Dniestr are rivers, which will block any offensive. The Dniestr Is much more impregnable as a defense line than the Rhine. Hence, no attack across the Pruth. Here we would only drive the Russian away from a spot where we should beg him to stay put.

f) Conclusion: In the Romanian sector, employ only the forces necessary for the protection of Romania. All other available forces will be used for frontal attack north of the Carpathians with greatest weight on the northern wing where additional armor will be brought to bear. Armd. units must be pulled out of Romania at the earliest!

What was the original plan for Barbarossa? How many armored divisions were supposed to jump off from Romania (I believe the 16th Panzer division was originally stationed in Romania)?

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 7
RE: Franz Halder's War Diaries - 10/30/2015 9:40:38 PM   
timmyab

Wasn't 12th army supposed to start in Romania before it was diverted to the Balkans? That might have tipped the balance in the South, although as chaos says it might also have tipped off the Soviets about the coming invasion.
I also seem to remember that Hitler was worried about the threat of a Soviet thrust into Romania towards Ploisti which limited 11th army's offensive options.

< Message edited by timmyab -- 10/30/2015 10:41:35 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Franz Halder's War Diaries - 10/30/2015 11:04:18 PM   
chaos45

Yes oil/fuel is extremely understated for the Germans currently. After the initial thrust they had pretty much used up the strategic reserves. So what was left used to fuel operation blue and even then they quickly started to run short of fuel at different points in the operation. Its why Hitler was always very concerned about the Romanians being happy in the real war, and why the Romanians got more military aid than the Hungarians lol.

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 9
RE: Franz Halder's War Diaries - 10/30/2015 11:10:47 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bozo_the_Clown

What was the original plan for Barbarossa? How many armored divisions were supposed to jump off from Romania (I believe the 16th Panzer division was originally stationed in Romania)?

If I recall, the whole southern wing of Barbarossa was disrupted by the Yugoslavian and Greek campaigns - not the timing (it would have been silly to hit Russia during the spring mud season) but the location of units.

I think most of the original German deployment to Romania was essentially defensive, it got reinforced as it made more sense to allocate the formations from Greece into Romania rather than pull them back into Poland. That then escalated into a two prong offensive plan, which was partly undermined as the Romanians refused to declare war on the Soviets till the Germans had fully committed themselves.

Post #: 10
RE: Franz Halder's War Diaries - 10/31/2015 12:39:33 PM   
mktours

David Stahel's Book "operation Barbarossa and Germany's defeat in the east" is a very good read, in which he establish a good point that Barbarossa was doomed to fail from start. There are many good discussions in the book.
Personally I like the book, though having some reservation, David Stahel is not someone who prefer venture, his point of view in military is rather cautious, he would not be a daredevil.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 11
RE: Franz Halder's War Diaries - 10/31/2015 1:01:20 PM   
mktours

Halder is a very poor military leader. Hitler is a disastrous political leader and military leader. That is my impression after reading David Stahel's book.

Post #: 12
RE: Franz Halder's War Diaries - 12/1/2015 9:47:33 PM   
Rommel76

Great link!!

(in reply to mktours)
Post #: 13
RE: Franz Halder's War Diaries - 12/1/2015 9:59:14 PM   
philabos

He may not have been a military genius. He did participate in the stillborn plot to overthrow Hitler in 1938. I believe he also had a hand in the 1944 plot. He was arrested late in the war. One of Glantz's books state he was about to be executed by the SS but was rescued by a Wehrmacht unit. More details of that little encounter would be interesting.

(in reply to Rommel76)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Franz Halder's War Diaries Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI