Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bad Dad?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Bad Dad? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bad Dad? - 10/29/2015 10:40:58 PM   
jamesjohns

I'm playing WITP AE, my 11 year old son asks what I'm doing and wants to try it.......I let him...........he wants to play it again.......

I just started him down a path of darkness......a path of hundreds of hours of wasted time and money commanding electronic battleships and fighter squadrons to do his bidding.....I feel like a bad dad because my first thought was, wow, he wants to play a real wargame that requires brains not reflexes.....my second thought, yes I have a new opponent!

I am a bad father, my wife doesn't know yet, but I am in serious trouble

Good news, I have a chance to beat him. His plan is to launch everything that floats, yes even AK's because they have machine guns you know, to attack the "enemy base" Tokyo in April 1942.

In fairness I got Tactics II when I was 12 and played it nonstop, lead to hundreds of hours wasted commanding Panzer Armies and Paratrooper Squads in Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich, PanzerBlitz, Squad Leader, and on and on....

< Message edited by jamesjohns -- 10/29/2015 11:43:36 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/29/2015 10:52:37 PM   
Feltan

This isn't bad parenting.

This is carrying on tradition. Something totally different. Your wife might not understand, but all of us do. :-)

Regards,
Feltan

P.S. Besides the pending attack on Tokyo with AK's et. al. will build character and humility as it did for all of us at that age.

(in reply to jamesjohns)
Post #: 2
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/29/2015 10:58:55 PM   
witpqs

Cool!

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 3
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 12:03:21 AM   
Chickenboy

Atta boy! Be sure to beat him soundly while you still can!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 12:33:28 AM   
zuluhour

I still have my tactics II (squares, not hexes) except I lost the atomic weapons card. Now that made for a shorter game!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 12:37:20 AM   
jamesjohns

Tactics II with squares, same here! Lent it to a guy in college years ago, never got it back really wish I had it again great first wargame

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 6
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 1:37:16 AM   
dr.hal

Now you know why I never had kids! I didn't want them to walk down this dark path...

(in reply to jamesjohns)
Post #: 7
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 2:12:24 AM   
geofflambert

My dad would beat my brother and I at chess, until he couldn't anymore. I was never much good at it but I could beat my father and defeated my brother once or twice. He went on to get a rating in the international chess whatever thingie of between 1900 and 2000, and beat a couple of grandmasters on different occasions. My brother invented something that got called the Lambert's Gambit, which if I recall correctly was a response to the Bishop's Opening. That happened to be my opening of choice. I was greatly embarrassed when at a high school tournament I was beaten and afterward my opponent said he used the "Lambert's Gambit". I asked him if he had noticed what my name was, then explained it to him.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 8
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 2:25:46 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

My dad would beat my brother and I at chess, until he couldn't anymore. I was never much good at it but I could beat my father and defeated my brother once or twice. He went on to get a rating in the international chess whatever thingie of between 1900 and 2000, and beat a couple of grandmasters on different occasions. My brother invented something that got called the Lambert's Gambit, which if I recall correctly was a response to the Bishop's Opening. That happened to be my opening of choice. I was greatly embarrassed when at a high school tournament I was beaten and afterward my opponent said he used the "Lambert's Gambit". I asked him if he had noticed what my name was, then explained it to him.

You should have just eaten him. The rest of your opponents would have let you win.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 9
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 2:26:24 AM   
witpqs

Tactics II with squares here, too!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 10
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 2:29:52 AM   
geofflambert

Well, I ate something. I think there were black feathers involved.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 11
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 2:43:38 AM   
geofflambert

Back to my superior sibling, he started collecting chess sets while a teenager and his collection was rather impressive. He had the usual stuff like an onyx set among many others. But the best ones, I think, included the teak/ebony set which was awesome. He also had a jade set where the kings were about 8" tall. The best, I think, was made out of resin, kind of like meerschaum with a leather board. The pawns were all legendary characters (Japanese) with samurai swords and the like.

I forgot, he had a set made of ivory which would probably be illegal now, maybe then, I'm not sure. I think it had an African theme, Zulus or other Bantus, maybe some Watusi.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 10/30/2015 3:49:15 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 5:14:58 AM   
bushpsu

I have two daughters and neither of them seemed to know what I was talking about when I mentioned what I was spending so many hours on. I think one of them may have a clue now, but it would not hold her. My wife and both girls are impressed by what I do with my leisure time - but they would never embrace it.

< Message edited by bushpsu -- 10/30/2015 1:19:20 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 9:56:56 AM   
Jellicoe

Having children was part of the plan to grow my own opponent. Made slightly harder by the fact I have a daughter. A few more years before the plan reaches maturity, although she does know who Admiral Jellicoe was....

(in reply to bushpsu)
Post #: 14
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 11:18:31 AM   
LeeChard

Don't forget, once you've soundly defeated the young lad you must present him with a trophy so his fragile ego
doesn't take a hit

(in reply to Jellicoe)
Post #: 15
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 12:03:53 PM   
Canoerebel

My dad and I began playing chess when I was about eight years old. He thrashed me each game for years. Then, one day, I beat him. It brough tears to my eyes. I felt bad about beating my father.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 10/30/2015 1:29:27 PM >

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 16
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 4:09:46 PM   
Panther Bait

When he was 4, my oldest son saw some of my Naval Reference Books (Naval Institute Press type books) on the shelf and loves anything mechanical. We've taken him and his younger brother to see the submarine Albacore in Portsmouth, NH and Battleship Cove in Massachusetts (which according to him still ranks as one of his best days ever). He occasionally asks to go see the Intrepid down in New York.

So when he saw my old Avalon Hill Naval War card game on the shelf one day, I couldn't help but pull it down and start the teaching process. He's six now and finally gets the concept of gun size and ammo cards, although we're still mostly playing with hand cards on the table, rather than hidden.

Mike

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 17
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 5:03:25 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Last week my nine year old son watched me playing and asked some questions. Then he left and came back half an our later with a handdrawn sketch of a map with lots of arrows and explained his masterplan to win as Japan. In short, take Kodiak, the Galapagos, Cape Horn and the Falklands to establish refueling bases in order to send the entire Japanese Fleet to bomb and bombard Washington DC into devastation and submission. My offspring is not lacking ambition, have to be careful when playing him in a few years

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 18
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 6:22:26 PM   
Canoerebel

Cape Horn. Falklands. Washington, D.C.

Your nine-year-old son is John III???

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 10/30/2015 8:14:23 PM >

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 19
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 8:54:35 PM   
John 3rd

Hey Now...

My near 12-year old son is playing Uncommon Valor. Once he masters the AI then he and I are going to play each other. When he is competitive there then we will move on the AE. How 'bout that??!!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 20
RE: Bad Dad? - 10/30/2015 9:32:15 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
My dad and I began playing chess when I was about eight years old. He thrashed me each game for years. Then, one day, I beat him. It brough tears to my eyes. I felt bad about beating my father.

Funny. My father an I played "Stratego" in a similar vein. For years he won lopsided matches. Then we were evenly matched. He used to sweat profusely during our matches-literally. I used to feel bad about making him sweat. I didn't really understand the root of his nervousness. Eventually, I won far more than I lost. My thrashings of him became too much and we gradually stopped playing.

I never felt guilty about gutting him like a fish. I felt it a rite of passage to be embraced and exploited, not rebuked or scorned. Crossing that rubicon with my father's guidance.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 21
RE: Bad Dad? - 11/1/2015 6:53:33 PM   
Footslogger

This is all very interesting. I'm have no children. I'm 44 and still looking for a wife. If I do want to be a good father, should I buy AE or a musical instrument?

< Message edited by Footslogger -- 11/1/2015 7:54:10 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 22
RE: Bad Dad? - 11/1/2015 10:18:06 PM   
Dili

A musical instrument gives you more chances of getting a wife...

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 23
RE: Bad Dad? - 11/2/2015 2:37:42 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

This is all very interesting. I'm have no children. I'm 44 and still looking for a wife. If I do want to be a good father, should I buy AE or a musical instrument?

My father was 46 when I was born. He started collecting Social Security when I was a freshman in college. Even though that was 30 years ago, it's still surreal. I watched my parents struggle as older parents. It's a lot more common now, but it is a struggle.

I do agree that taking up a musical instrument will get more attention from women. Even playing the cello is considered sexier than wargaming.

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 24
RE: Bad Dad? - 11/2/2015 4:58:21 AM   
geofflambert

I have been told that being best at "Flip the Toad" scores a lot of points with women. Unfortunately I cannot find anyone to play "Flip the Toad" and I don't think I could find a gornette who was interested.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 25
RE: Bad Dad? - 11/2/2015 6:35:02 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Cape Horn. Falklands. Washington, D.C.

Your nine-year-old son is John III???

Well, when I explained that DC is not on the game map and that the distances are too great and that Japan cannot move to off-map boxes anyway, he settled for taking Kodiak and devastating the West Coast from Seattle to San Diego with carrier raids. I will let him try that later.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 26
RE: Bad Dad? - 11/2/2015 8:48:25 AM   
Encircled

Can I have official confirmation that an attack by a horde of AKs on Tokyo isn't a good idea?

Its not in the manual you see, so it might be true!

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 27
RE: Bad Dad? - 11/2/2015 11:51:46 AM   
Orm

quote:

Good news, I have a chance to beat him. His plan is to launch everything that floats, yes even AK's because they have machine guns you know, to attack the "enemy base" Tokyo in April 1942.

So what if this surprise attack succeeds?

Intend attacking at dawn high water.

(in reply to jamesjohns)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Bad Dad? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI