Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Love Torch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Love Torch Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Love Torch - 10/18/2015 2:18:02 AM   
Wild

The game just keeps getting better and better. I'm loving the expansion.

It would be great if the early North African campaign could be done at some point!
Post #: 1
RE: Love Torch - 10/18/2015 8:41:23 AM   
goulash

Agree, the game has got really interesting with the new scenarios and I am learning better each day. Well done Devs

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 2
RE: Love Torch - 10/18/2015 1:59:31 PM   
IslandInland

I love it too. I played the hell out of R.T. Smith's Vulcan as a child so I've always had a soft spot for the Tunisian campaign and the North African campaign in general. I also love the fact Rommel's Kampfstaffel is a SU in some of the scenarios.

Attachment (1)

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

(in reply to goulash)
Post #: 3
RE: Love Torch - 10/18/2015 2:15:14 PM   
zakblood

ah, those were many happy days spent, still have the boxset of all his pure war games

Arnhem: The 'Market Garden' Operation (1985)
Desert Rats: The North Africa Campaign (1985)
Vulcan: The Tunisian Campaign (1986)

Shogun: Total War (2000) (Production Programming)
Medieval: Total War (2002) (Battle Logic & AI)

Medieval: Total War - Viking Invasion (2003) (Design)
Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion (2005) (Design)
Medieval II: Total War (2006) (Lead Designer)

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 4
RE: Love Torch - 10/19/2015 3:17:14 PM   
IslandInland

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

ah, those were many happy days spent, still have the boxset of all his pure war games

Arnhem: The 'Market Garden' Operation (1985)
Desert Rats: The North Africa Campaign (1985)
Vulcan: The Tunisian Campaign (1986)

Shogun: Total War (2000) (Production Programming)
Medieval: Total War (2002) (Battle Logic & AI)

Medieval: Total War - Viking Invasion (2003) (Design)
Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion (2005) (Design)
Medieval II: Total War (2006) (Lead Designer)

I also had Market Garden and Desert Rats. Those along with Vulcan and Crusade In Europe, Decision In The Desert and Conflict In Vietnam were the first wargames I played.

Every time I load up WITW and see the Allied and German units in France or NW Europe I'm reminded of Crusade In Europe. All of the games I've listed had units that were rated with realistic numbers for men, guns and tanks. In a way they spoiled me because ever since then I've only ever really enjoyed wargames that have those numbers rather than an abstract '10' or whatever to represent unit strength.

To me wargaming is almost a form of roleplaying and without those 'real' numbers immersion suffers.

I love WITE but WITW just edges it for me because having played those games listed above thirty years ago units such as 7th Armoured, 2nd New Zealand Div, Guards Armoured, 1st US Inf Div, 116th Panzer, 4th US Armored, 352nd Infantry Div, Panzer Lehr and 12th SS almost seem like old friends and I have more of an emotional connection to them than the hundreds of Soviet rifle divisions of War In The East.

Sorry for going OT, I just had to express this.

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Love Torch - 10/19/2015 3:31:20 PM   
RealChuckB

quote:

ORIGINAL: XXXCorps

I also had Market Garden and Desert Rats. Those along with Vulcan and Crusade In Europe, Decision In The Desert and Conflict In Vietnam were the first wargames I played.

Decision in the Desert was also my first one (on 8-Bit Atari), loved that one! When Conflict in Vietnam came out, I was already hooked and was so excited to find it when I was in School in England - had no computer there so I read the manual dozens of times before I even inserted the 5 1/4 floppy disk into the drive for the first time. They did such a good job of capturing the conflict in Vietnam with it's different facets ...

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 6
RE: Love Torch - 10/19/2015 3:54:15 PM   
IslandInland

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chuck B.

quote:

ORIGINAL: XXXCorps

Decision in the Desert was also my first one (on 8-Bit Atari), loved that one! When Conflict in Vietnam came out, I was already hooked and was so excited to find it when I was in School in England - had no computer there so I read the manual dozens of times before I even inserted the 5 1/4 floppy disk into the drive for the first time. They did such a good job of capturing the conflict in Vietnam with it's different facets ...

Great games. The boxes the games came in had pride of place on my games shelf. I remember taking the manuals for the Meier games on holiday with me to Cornwall even though I had read them many times. If I remember correctly Decision in The Desert simulated minefields, something that even now you rarely see in wargames.

(in reply to RealChuckB)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Love Torch Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI