Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Struggling with Reconnaissance

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Struggling with Reconnaissance Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Struggling with Reconnaissance - 10/14/2015 2:17:30 PM   
Devonport

First of all, I like the new strategic reconnaissance information in 1.01.01 - the previous system was too opaque.

Where I am struggling is with trying to use recon to identify ground units. I have my recon set at 12000ft using low level cameras and the mission type set (as is my ground attack) to interdiction on 'high' and units on 'normal'. After five turns I know no more than at the outset, and the only information I have on ground units is on those adjacent to my ground units. The rest (Sicily in this case) is blank. Now whilst I wouldn't expect to know what the axis general is eating for lunch by this stage, I would hope to have at least some partial info by now such as the presence of a (as yet) unidentified unit in a particular hex maybe.

Is unit information to be had by aerial recon, and if so, how do I go about it? Or am I being too impatiant expecting something after only five turns (weeks).
Post #: 1
RE: Struggling with Reconnaissance - 10/14/2015 2:27:07 PM   
KWG

try setting unit on high. what has the weather been?
How many aircraft, sorties?

< Message edited by KWG -- 10/14/2015 3:28:14 PM >

"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."

(in reply to Devonport)
Post #: 2
RE: Struggling with Reconnaissance - 10/14/2015 2:31:56 PM   
Helpless

Usually you should at least unhide unit if it was reconned. Tricky part is that if you set to recon only units, it will target units which already are known to be present. The issue might be that it is doing too many sorties against units which already have high recon value (to be addressed). I suggest to set interdiction priority to some value so it would search for the the "empty" regions.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Devonport)
Post #: 3
RE: Struggling with Reconnaissance - 10/14/2015 2:37:14 PM   
Devonport

Weather has been good (Mediterranean in July/Aug); 6 squadrons (exact number of planes varies); priority very high;
daily flights, set to auto strikes (8) per day.

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 4
RE: Struggling with Reconnaissance - 10/14/2015 2:45:46 PM   
Helpless

You can post a save if you think it doesn't work the way it should.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Devonport)
Post #: 5
RE: Struggling with Reconnaissance - 10/14/2015 2:49:38 PM   
Devonport

Sorry, just deleted to start again. Will look out for this in my next game.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 6
RE: Struggling with Reconnaissance - 10/14/2015 4:32:50 PM   
Rongor

I have also seen the AI opponent doing something like "carpet recon", covering about two dozen hexes in the battle site map overlay. And apparently he only used about 2 squadrons for that. Would have loved to discover what his AD set up has been for that. I guess (no, I hope!) all the recon symbols on the battle site map don't necessarily mean he gained sizeable recon values over those vast areas.

I agree it is hard to predict which amount of squadrons is necessary to do the job as desired. It often seems quite unrealistic.
For example one would assume a squadron of 12 recon planes would manage to take at least one photo of every enemy airfield in an area of lets say two dozen hexes within a week. But whenever I try stuff like that they mostly do 4 runs on the very same airfield and one failed attempt on another one and that is it. Quite frustrating at times.

< Message edited by Rongor -- 10/14/2015 5:34:18 PM >

(in reply to Devonport)
Post #: 7
RE: Struggling with Reconnaissance - 10/14/2015 4:38:10 PM   
LiquidSky

You don't need RECON aircraft to find units. I usually use bombers. Whenever aircraft fly over a hex, they get a recon value for it. So what I like to do is use level bombers on Interdiction (for example) and hit a large area. A lot of units will pop on. Of course you dont get to know what they are...just that there is/are unit(s) there.

You can also direct your bombing streams to fly over a line of hexes you may want reconned as well. I often find out stuff about Netherlands that way...without tipping off the Germans that I am interested by taking pictures.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to Rongor)
Post #: 8
RE: Struggling with Reconnaissance - 10/14/2015 4:47:37 PM   
KWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

You don't need RECON aircraft to find units. I usually use bombers. Whenever aircraft fly over a hex, they get a recon value for it. So what I like to do is use level bombers on Interdiction (for example) and hit a large area. A lot of units will pop on. Of course you dont get to know what they are...just that there is/are unit(s) there.

You can also direct your bombing streams to fly over a line of hexes you may want reconned as well. I often find out stuff about Netherlands that way...without tipping off the Germans that I am interested by taking pictures.

We use to allow 'fake counters' in some of the war board games we played. You never knew it until you had full recon.

< Message edited by KWG -- 10/14/2015 5:48:05 PM >

"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 9
RE: Struggling with Reconnaissance - 10/14/2015 4:51:56 PM   
Rongor

This is what I am talking about. Probably I would never have had an idea like that. When I think of a level bomber, I automatically think of using it for strategic raids. Fighter bombers and tactical bombers are suited for interdiction. Never would I have tried to set LB on interdiction jobs.

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 10
RE: Struggling with Reconnaissance - 10/14/2015 6:55:34 PM   
whoofe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Usually you should at least unhide unit if it was reconned. Tricky part is that if you set to recon only units, it will target units which already are known to be present. The issue might be that it is doing too many sorties against units which already have high recon value (to be addressed). I suggest to set interdiction priority to some value so it would search for the the "empty" regions.

ahhh thanks for that info - I assumed setting it to recon units was the best way to find hidden/unknown units

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Struggling with Reconnaissance Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI