Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Are some random events due to story line?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Are some random events due to story line? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are some random events due to story line? - 10/11/2015 5:55:58 AM   
jacozilla

After 1 game with random events enabled, I've always turned it off.

But I do play with most or all the story lines (shadows, original, and shaktur) enabled.

I just had a 'random event' disrupt one of my water worlds - giant sea monster that lowered my planet quality a ton after the event. I have all random events disabled though - or so I thought.

Am playing Akdarians - is this perhaps a built in racial event that can't be avoided? A story event from one of the expansion stories I've enabled?
Post #: 1
RE: Are some random events due to story line? - 10/11/2015 7:21:31 AM   
Bingeling

It sounds like a random disaster to me. One that should have been turned off with the toggle.

(in reply to jacozilla)
Post #: 2
RE: Are some random events due to story line? - 10/11/2015 7:27:18 AM   
Aeson

None of the storylines cause this event. I think this is a race-specific event for Ackdarians (or perhaps for all factions which natively inhabit ocean worlds); my guess would be that you may have missed the checkbox for race-specific events when you disabled 'disasters and other events' (race-specific events are enabled separately from disasters and other events). If you go through the new game creation screens until you reach that stage, you'll be able to see what the last settings you chose were (if you've started another game with different settings since this one, or even if you've considered starting a new game and went through changing settings but didn't start the game, you won't be able to check the settings for this one in this manner).

< Message edited by Aeson -- 10/11/2015 8:28:23 AM >

(in reply to jacozilla)
Post #: 3
RE: Are some random events due to story line? - 10/11/2015 11:58:15 AM   
jacozilla

Ok I see that setting now - or, I see it in a new light I suppose.

I had left the 'Enable Race Specific events' setting checked because I thought it added to the story. Didn't know it was (at least so far) just another version of the 'Disasters and other events' setting.

After playing with 'Disaster and other events', it seemed like there was no such thing as a random 'good' event, just all disasters. to be fair the first part is labeled as disasters so I expected that, but kinda was hoping the 'other events' might include some good random events. Maybe just unlucky but hadn't gotten any good ones, just bad to super bad

Anyone know what the Race-specific events are like in general? Are they always bad like the disasters setting? Or can there be good random events for your race specific event, if it triggers?

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 4
RE: Are some random events due to story line? - 10/11/2015 12:37:51 PM   
Aeson

The race-specific events in my experience are mostly positive. For example, Ackdarians may suffer from attacks by giant sea monsters, but they can also gain fairly significant yearlong happiness bonuses at colonies with Nepthys Wine, and to my recollection the wine event is much more likely to occur than the monster attack. Another example, if I recall correctly, is that one of the other species can get a minor increase in the quality of colonies on certain types of planets (only one colony for any given event, though, not all such colonies at once).

I'm pretty sure that the giant sea monster attack is both the worst event in race-specific events (or at the very least close to it) and one of the few bad ones, and since the damage to the colony is only temporary it's not really that bad in the long run.

quote:

After playing with 'Disaster and other events', it seemed like there was no such thing as a random 'good' event, just all disasters. to be fair the first part is labeled as disasters so I expected that, but kinda was hoping the 'other events' might include some good random events. Maybe just unlucky but hadn't gotten any good ones, just bad to super bad

There are a handful of positive events tied in with disasters and other events; for starters, there's a "discovered new source of (some resource) at (some colony)" event, which adds a random new resource deposit to a random colonized planet or moon. But yes, most of what's in disasters and other events are negative events. I personally feel that some of the negative events in Disasters and Other Events are actually among the more entertaining events in the game, as long as you don't have a run of bad luck and have to deal with them in one game after another.

(in reply to jacozilla)
Post #: 5
RE: Are some random events due to story line? - 10/11/2015 1:10:15 PM   
jacozilla

Ohhhh...now I'm torn whether to maybe go back to using the disaster and other events setting.

I thought the 'discovered new resource on colony' message was just normal part of game. Didn't realize till now that i no longer see it because i disabled that setting. On my last game with disasters enabled, i got like 4-5 really bad events but also had as i recall about same number of discovered new resource messages as well.

Reason i stopped using it was bc of one event frankly - a plague virus that decimated my home planet from like 10billion pop down to like 7
That one event bascically crippled my economy. But not sure how common or how rare that bad an event is.

Will try using both settings - race and disaster ones- to see how it averages out over more than the few games i've done so far

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Are some random events due to story line? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI