Love the game, been playing obsessively since found out about it couple weeks ago. 90% of everything I just learned as I went. But one major item I can't figure out and don't see anything in game or offline to help explain it.
I know WHAT it is doing (apparently), but have zero clue as to how or why, and dying to know.
The Behavior --> How can a ship travel in hyper / space when it has zero fuel? Thought zero fuel = 0 speed = dead in the water?
1. A capital ship I repaired and rescued from debris field got forgotten by me between systems, and next I looked, it had zero fuel. It is part of a fleet I put together from existing fleet and then adding this ship into it. I ordered fleet to move to another system and forgot this ship was low on fuel, so midway to destination it ran out.
2. But to my surprise, it is still cooking along in what appears to be hyper speed - reduced to kinda slow, but not regular non-hyper speed. It is still definitely traveling way, way too fast to be considered normal non-hyper cruise / sprint / impulse speed.
3. How can this be? Looking at the ship, it says on my screen it is Fuel = 0 but says 'Fuel 0 (speed reduced)
Energy also says 0, and my shields are 1371 / 2080 and slowly decreasing as it powers down from having no fuel I guess
4. Sat and watched and this trooper limped at slow hyper speed for about 1.5 sector distance to catch up with my fleet at destination, and then refueled.
5. I examined the design and while this debris field capital ship has much better tech in terms of higher tech, I don't see anything like an energy to fuel converter on board (which I read about as a really higher end tech that converts solar into fuel. But this ship definitely does not have that on board.
What it does have is 2 energy collectors - but I thought all that did was convert energy into the static energy use it otherwise takes from fuel. I use them on my stations and bases, but did not install on ships yet.
Anyone know or have thoughts on a) what is the general rule of thumb re: fuel and ship travel - I thought 0 fuel meant no travel but now I'm confused.
And b) in this specific scenario - is the cap ship still able to travel because it was in mid hyper so stayed in slow hyper even with no fuel? e.g. can't re-jump, but your last hyper still carries on 'momentum'? Or is it the energy collectors?
Appreciate any insight.