Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

250kg SAP bomb vs main battery

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> 250kg SAP bomb vs main battery Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
250kg SAP bomb vs main battery - 10/7/2015 1:15:48 PM   
Yaab

Coral Sea scen,naval attack test, hotseat, DaBigBabes

BB Wisconsin was parked in Lae as the target ship for a 27 Oscar group operating from Lae. The group was lead by Fuchida (highest leadership/inspiration values, experience 97). The leader was also a flying pilot in the squadron.

First attack, and an Oscar achieves a 250 kg SAP bomb hit on the BB. The message said "a hit on 16/50Mk 7 gun". There was no additional message. During the day, only the Oscars were attacking the BB. Next turn, and as the Allied player I checked the damage on the BB and voila - the barrels are marked red 0. Now, since the armour on the main battery is level 492 this couldn't be a penetrating hit. Does that mean that the bomb somehow destroyed the very barrels leaving the turret intact?

[image][/image]
Post #: 1
RE: 250kg SAP bomb vs main battery - 10/7/2015 1:26:14 PM   
Encircled

Yes

Something has been done by the bomb to render that turret inoperable and in need of repair

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 2
RE: 250kg SAP bomb vs main battery - 10/7/2015 1:56:14 PM   
mind_messing

Plenty of cases in history of shells or bombs rendering turrets inoperable without actually destroying the turrets or the guns themselves.

Battleship turrets are fairly complex, so I can easily see a 250kg bomb wrecking something fragile, like jamming the roller path or some such.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 3
RE: 250kg SAP bomb vs main battery - 10/7/2015 7:42:37 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Yes

Something has been done by the bomb to render that turret inoperable and in need of repair

And in terms of the game that's all that matters. Ship weapons are their own devices. A different class of damage with its own rules and numbers. Weapons are either working or broken. There's no degree of damage. Whether a specific piece of ordnance has enough oomph to damage a particular weapon is down in the weeds. All we know is red or not red.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 10/7/2015 8:44:28 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 4
RE: 250kg SAP bomb vs main battery - 10/7/2015 8:10:36 PM   
GetAssista

Those multibarrel turrets... them prone to catching flying junk, you know

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 5
RE: 250kg SAP bomb vs main battery - 10/7/2015 9:29:20 PM   
crsutton

Yes, it has nothing to do with the armor of the turret. What you are seeing is enough damage occurring that the turret is out of action and needs to be in a shipyard for repair. The turret is not necessarily destroyed.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 6
RE: 250kg SAP bomb vs main battery - 10/8/2015 9:06:43 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

Those multibarrel turrets... them prone to catching flying junk, you know

I guess that is one way to take out a 40mm bofors with a .50 MG.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 7
RE: 250kg SAP bomb vs main battery - 10/8/2015 9:13:59 PM   
Shark7

OK, I remember playing a game a while back against the AI where I managed to catch BB Maryland as it tried to flee Pearl Harbor on Dec 8. Since I had enough fuel and no real threats to KB, I chased it for a bit. Never managing to get into torpedo range, but dropping hundreds of 250kg on it. The ship did not sink. Finally after 3-4 turns of this, I decided to pop in and have a look at it, so saved, set to head to head and took a look. The ship was at 97 fires, and did not have a single weapon left on it. However, flotation was only damaged around 20% or so. It did eventually sink, no doubt from the fires.

Moral of the story, non-penetrating hits may not sink the ship directly, but can either render it entirely useless (stripping the weapons), or in the case of my example above, cause it to sink from fire damage. Or both, as the case may be.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> 250kg SAP bomb vs main battery Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI