Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries - 10/3/2015 7:38:10 PM   
Jagdtiger14

Although the list is more about quantity than quality, there are some surprises in the rankings:

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-are-the-worlds-20-strongest-militaries-ranked-2015-9

Notice the first photo says F-22 with a F-35...should say F-22 with an F-15.

Also, not mentioned, Egypt recently purchased the small carriers France was going to sell to Russia, and purchased enough aircraft to outfit a third (so are they buying a third from France?).

< Message edited by Jagdtiger14 -- 10/3/2015 8:51:01 PM >

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Post #: 1
RE: Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries - 10/4/2015 2:55:49 AM   
GaryChildress

Interesting they list total number of submarines instead of total number of aircraft carriers. I sort of wonder if the conventional aircraft carrier has sort of gone the way of the battleship.

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 2
RE: Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries - 10/4/2015 4:37:56 AM   
cpdeyoung

So few countries have carriers, it may be seen as not worth having all the zeroes in the listings. They stress over and over that aircraft carriers boost the ranking by a whopping amount. There are many countries who want carriers, and few who can afford them.

There is nothing like a carrier for power projection and that is important in Credit Suisse's rankings.

Chuck

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 3
RE: Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries - 10/4/2015 3:34:01 PM   
Mobeer

They credit Japan with 4 aircraft carriers - bit misleading there.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 4
RE: Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries - 10/5/2015 6:58:49 AM   
Jagdtiger14

Actually, have you seen the Japanese carriers? They call them "Destroyer Carriers"...necessary for some reason I think because of their Constitution? They use helicopters, but are capable of fixed wing aircraft. I would say they are probably the 2nd most advanced carriers in the world behind the US carriers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2385430/Japan-warship-Izumo-aircraft-carrier-flat-topped-destroyer.html

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 5
RE: Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries - 10/6/2015 12:39:13 AM   
radic202

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Actually, have you seen the Japanese carriers? They call them "Destroyer Carriers"...necessary for some reason I think because of their Constitution? They use helicopters, but are capable of fixed wing aircraft. I would say they are probably the 2nd most advanced carriers in the world behind the US carriers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2385430/Japan-warship-Izumo-aircraft-carrier-flat-topped-destroyer.html

Thanks for that link Jagtiger14, I had no idea that the Japanese had such carriers. One question though: as seen in this picture, the Japanese Flag (Rising Sun I think it is called), I was under the impression that is was no longer allowed to be flown due to it being the Imperial WW2 Flag of Japan. Or is this simply a Navy Flag?

[image][URL=http://s568.photobucket.com/user/radic202/media/article-2385430-1B2B1111000005DC-883_634x362.jpg.html][/URL][/image]

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

Post #: 6
RE: Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries - 10/6/2015 6:39:07 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

warspite1

Don't know what the reason is for the Japanese, but in the 70's when the
Invincible-class were being built, for political reasons they were known as through-deck cruisers .

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 7
RE: Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries - 10/6/2015 7:56:26 AM   
Orm

quote:

One question though: as seen in this picture, the Japanese Flag (Rising Sun I think it is called), I was under the impression that is was no longer allowed to be flown due to it being the Imperial WW2 Flag of Japan. Or is this simply a Navy Flag?

Cut from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Sun_Flag

"After the establishment of the Japan Self-Defense Forces in 1954, the flag was re-adopted and approved by the GHQ."

Intend attacking at dawn high water.

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 8
RE: Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries - 10/9/2015 3:35:45 PM   
wesy

The JMSDF also uses ship names from the IJN - Atago & Kongo Class DDG (both using Aegis) - One of three countries that use the technology in terms of quantity in numerical order (US, Japan, S. Korea). Japan's subs are some of the most technology advanced diesel-electric subs in the world. The Soryu class subs is/was in the running for procurement for Australia's Navy.

The JMSDF is also the fifth largest naval power. Known for their ASW capabilities (lessons learned from WW2).

What a better combo - USN/JMSDF - two navies with long experienced naval traditions (The UK would laugh about long naval tradition though ;))

"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI