Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/27/2018 11:57:58 AM   
AFBTD

its an United kingdom defeat; but not for me; jellicoe looked for another trafalgar and he could not maked i guess; also many of then (dreagnoughts) explode the magazine.

mis amigos; EL FRENTE ATLETICO, LA PANDA DEL MOCO, OCHAITA FANS

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 31
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/27/2018 4:23:46 PM   
Zorch

If only Alan Zimm would remake Action Stations.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 32
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/27/2018 4:37:57 PM   
jimi3

+1 on that. Still have the old 5.25 discs and docs. Great game.

Cheers, Jim

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 33
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/27/2018 5:45:12 PM   
bazjak

quote:

ORIGINAL: AFBTD

its an United kingdom defeat; but not for me; jellicoe looked for another trafalgar and he could not maked i guess; also many of then (dreagnoughts) explode the magazine.

Depends on which angle you look at it from
Yes the UK lost more men and ships but after that battle the German navy never went to sea to again

(in reply to AFBTD)
Post #: 34
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/27/2018 10:13:18 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: bazjak

quote:

Yes the UK lost more men and ships but after that battle the German navy never went to sea to again

Actually, it did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_19_August_1916

Another fleet sortie took place on 18–19 October 1916 to attack enemy shipping east of Dogger Bank. Despite being forewarned by signal intelligence, the Grand Fleet did not attempt to intercept. The operation was however cancelled due to poor weather after the cruiser München was torpedoed by the British submarine HMS E38

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 35
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/28/2018 12:21:47 AM   
Capitaine

quote:

ORIGINAL: bazjak

quote:

That's not true. They went to sea a number of more times. And looking for battle.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 36
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/28/2018 1:26:44 AM   
HighwayStar

+2 on that. Can't someone at Matrix contact RAW Entertainment and try to remake AS?

(in reply to jimi3)
Post #: 37
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/28/2018 4:25:09 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: HighwayStar

+2 on that. Can't someone at Matrix contact RAW Entertainment and try to remake AS?

They went under many years ago.

And I doubt these guys have anything to do with computer games https://www.facebook.com/pg/Raw-Entertainment-191704004197321/about/?ref=page_internal

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 6/28/2018 4:28:08 AM >

(in reply to HighwayStar)
Post #: 38
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/28/2018 6:24:02 AM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Why do you say that Jellicoe "looked for another Trafalgar"? Yes of course Jellicoe wanted to destroy the threat posed by the High Seas Fleet, but the criticism of Jellicoe post Jutland stems from the belief in many quarters that he was not bold enough. Yes he wanted to destroy the High Seas Fleet but he was not - and he told the Admiralty this upon becoming CinC of the Grand Fleet - going to risk defeat if conditions were uncertain (specifically he feared submarine and destroyer torpedo attacks) because he simply didn't need to. It was for the Germans to break the blockade - not for Jellicoe to hand them victory by taking unnecessary risks.

The criticism of Jellicoe therefore is that he wasn't going for another Trafalgar - not unless the conditions were absolutely perfect at any rate.

And to be clear, there was no British dreadnought loss at Jutland. The British lost the battlecruisers Indefatigable, Queen Mary and Invincible but no dreadnoughts. The loss of these battlecruisers was not the reason the High Seas Fleet got away - for that the 'blame' lies elsewhere....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to AFBTD)
Post #: 39
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/28/2018 9:28:57 AM   
AFBTD

well, warspite1 your right, i only read this article, take a look my english is not good enough; i know, maybe i mistake some part of the battle but one thing a want to say in my defense the WW1 and WW2 where for hungry; German was forced

https://www.navygeneralboard.com/who-won-the-battle-of-jutland/

no seras aleman..eres un grande

< Message edited by AFBTD -- 6/28/2018 10:09:36 AM >

mis amigos; EL FRENTE ATLETICO, LA PANDA DEL MOCO, OCHAITA FANS

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 40
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/28/2018 4:06:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

well, warspite1 your right, i only read this article, take a look my english is not good enough; i know, maybe i mistake some part of the battle but one thing a want to say in my defense the WW1 and WW2 where for hungry; German was forced

https://www.navygeneralboard.com/who-won-the-battle-of-jutland/

no seras aleman..eres un grande

warspite1

Mate believe me, your English is better than my [insert every other language in the world] .

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to AFBTD)
Post #: 41
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/29/2018 8:34:10 AM   
Pvt_Grunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Why do you say that Jellicoe "looked for another Trafalgar"? Yes of course Jellicoe wanted to destroy the threat posed by the High Seas Fleet, but the criticism of Jellicoe post Jutland stems from the belief in many quarters that he was not bold enough. Yes he wanted to destroy the High Seas Fleet but he was not - and he told the Admiralty this upon becoming CinC of the Grand Fleet - going to risk defeat if conditions were uncertain (specifically he feared submarine and destroyer torpedo attacks) because he simply didn't need to. It was for the Germans to break the blockade - not for Jellicoe to hand them victory by taking unnecessary risks.

The criticism of Jellicoe therefore is that he wasn't going for another Trafalgar - not unless the conditions were absolutely perfect at any rate.

And to be clear, there was no British dreadnought loss at Jutland. The British lost the battlecruisers Indefatigable, Queen Mary and Invincible but no dreadnoughts. The loss of these battlecruisers was not the reason the High Seas Fleet got away - for that the 'blame' lies elsewhere....

Excellent points. An Admiral is only "Bold" if his fleet wins. If they lose he becomes "Foolhardy"

The Grand Fleet didnt need to destroy the German force to win (my opinion). The German fleet withdrew so... a loss.

The only battle the British fleet lost was the battle of public expectations.

Back to Naval wargames, try Atlantic Fleet. It's WW2, but still fun and only $7 on steam

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 42
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 7/7/2018 9:51:22 AM   
Agathosdaimon

quote:

ORIGINAL: HighwayStar

bought this lovely boxed 3.5inch ibm version of this last year, best old game buy ever - the game is still heaps fun to play in its old dos form - run it in dosbox its great, its scenario generator is excellent too

i can tell you though that someone has been attempting a kind of newish version of Action Stations, though with a bit more of a Great Naval Battles style i think - Naval Battle Simulator, i have done some beta testing on this and i think he was going to put it into early access on steam.

its only the atlantic/mediterranean theaters at the moment but it also has a campaign element, and ship editor and scenario editor. I could be good in its final form, it is certainly interesting at the moment though it at the moment

just regarding Jutland from Storm Eagle Studios - people mentioning that it is broken now? i can still play it, so i am just wondering what is now broken in the game?

(in reply to HighwayStar)
Post #: 43
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 7/7/2018 5:49:03 PM   
Aurelian

I had Action Stations when I had an Amiga 1000. It looked better than the DOS version. Used to play the random battles a lot. It was funny trying to find the Royal Navy in one game, only to find the entire fleet ran aground....

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 44
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 7/8/2018 9:57:50 PM   
Agathosdaimon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

I had Action Stations when I had an Amiga 1000. It looked better than the DOS version. Used to play the random battles a lot. It was funny trying to find the Royal Navy in one game, only to find the entire fleet ran aground....

it looked fairly similar to teh dos version didnt it? perhaps its resolution was a little better? but also with the dos version you can change the colour palette

the random generator can have some interesting combinations, i suppose if a fleet is randomly put too close to a coastline a total ground could occur

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 45
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 7/8/2018 10:59:42 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

it looked fairly similar to teh dos version didnt it? perhaps its resolution was a little better? but also with the dos version you can change the colour palette

the random generator can have some interesting combinations, i suppose if a fleet is randomly put too close to a coastline a total ground could occur

It played the same, but it didn't quite look the same. It was easier to navigate around the various info displays IIRC. The closest thing to it now is NWS' Steam and Iron

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 46
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 7/9/2018 1:00:17 AM   
Agathosdaimon

Silent Service on the amiga was better too in terms of its UI being easier to navigate also - amiga was better in tat regard too - had an amiga 500 in the late 80s early 90s, nowadays there is cloantos Amgia forever emulator which is constantly being worked on - though all the hardware settings overwhelm me, and i want to do is just try and play Frank Hunter's very early game 'Napoleon I' on it but i get alot of errors

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI