Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Jutland by Norm Kroger

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Jutland by Norm Kroger Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/20/2015 1:51:43 PM   
Lobster

Norm Kroger's RTS 3d game Jutland published by Storm Eagle Studios is badly broken and basically forgotten by Norm and SES. This would be a really great game for someone to pick up and fix. I don't suppose there's any chance Matrix would have any interest in this title?

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"
Post #: 1
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/20/2015 3:59:29 PM   
Aurelian

That's why I will no longer buy his games.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 2
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/21/2015 9:32:44 AM   
CarnageINC

I agree, the amount his games go for versus what you get is ridiculous.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 3
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/21/2015 11:35:39 AM   
Aurelian

The last patch broke Jutland I'm told. What a waste of money it turned out to be..................

Steam and Iron IMHO is better all around.

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 4
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/21/2015 1:24:59 PM   
Terminus

I'm surprised that Storm Eagle Studios is still around.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 5
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/21/2015 3:18:29 PM   
Alchenar

Just get Rule the Waves if you want a dreadnaught wargame. It's so simple and beautiful nothing's ever really going to beat it.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/21/2015 3:54:12 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Just for the record, the guy's name is Koger, not Kroger.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Alchenar)
Post #: 7
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/21/2015 7:39:40 PM   
Yogi the Great

You could try Tiller Jutland

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 8
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/21/2015 7:45:15 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

I did. It was the first game that I ever shot holes through.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 9
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/21/2015 10:18:24 PM   
ezzler

Rule the waves is great - Matrix could do great things with that kind of game.

(in reply to Alchenar)
Post #: 10
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/21/2015 11:29:23 PM   
OldSarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

Same here, except I use the CD as a coaster for my beer.

Steam and Iron is far better, especially with the campaign expansion. I just finished up an RJW campaign, and it was great! The chance encounters, the missed opportunities, due to weather.

I've been eyeing Rule The Waves, probably mske a nice holiday purchase.

As for SES, I purchased their first title "Distant Guns" in spite of misgivings about their draconian DRM. Initially, their support was great but it started going downhill for a variety of reasons. When they announced Jutland I decided I would sit and wait. It is a shame really, because the game has very well thought out ballistic and ship models.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 11
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/24/2015 5:39:41 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldSarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

Same here, except I use the CD as a coaster for my beer.

Steam and Iron is far better, especially with the campaign expansion. I just finished up an RJW campaign, and it was great! The chance encounters, the missed opportunities, due to weather.

I've been eyeing Rule The Waves, probably mske a nice holiday purchase.

As for SES, I purchased their first title "Distant Guns" in spite of misgivings about their draconian DRM. Initially, their support was great but it started going downhill for a variety of reasons. When they announced Jutland I decided I would sit and wait. It is a shame really, because the game has very well thought out ballistic and ship models.

I have SAI and the campaign. (Something SES said they couldn't do...)
RTW is on the list.

Jutland was a lot of fun, but the last "patch" killed it. No way to roll it back, and the official forum is more a zombie site now. So glad I didn't buy the two packs...

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 5/3/2016 5:26:17 PM >

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 12
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/24/2015 2:50:14 PM   
Mobius

I have all the ship data and gun data. We can gut it but keep the graphics and animations and call it Panzer Command at Sea.

All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 13
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/28/2015 1:31:38 AM   
rhondabrwn

They obviously made some kind of effort to let customers play the game when Storm Eagle sold out to Strategy First or whoever is running the store on their old site now. The status of my copy of Jutland is shown on the "My Games" tab and it shows "offline capable" but I have had no success trying to get Jutland to run. It just kicks me back to the storefront.

Initially there was a message about recovering my serial number if needed, but haven't seen that after the first try. Then there was a download window for a patch that bombed out twice with an error message and I haven't seen that since the 3rd or 4th try at running the game. Now I get nothing but a trip to the storefront. I note that they are still offering the game for sale though.

Very disturbing. This is my second recent experience with orphan games dependent on online activation. The first was Nitro Game's East India Company and now Jutland. I think the harbingers of doom warning about the dangers of downloaded games and online activations are being proven right :(

I think I am only going to buy the Matrix/Slitherine versions from now on and not Steam versions. I can count on my old HPS and Matrix/Slitherine/AGEOD games to work if Steam ever blows up.

I have enough games anyway.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 14
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/28/2015 11:28:41 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

They obviously made some kind of effort to let customers play the game when Storm Eagle sold out to Strategy First or whoever is running the store on their old site now. The status of my copy of Jutland is shown on the "My Games" tab and it shows "offline capable" but I have had no success trying to get Jutland to run. It just kicks me back to the storefront.

I may be wrong as I haven't had it installed for years, but I seem to recall that change was made when SES revamped Stormpowered sometime prior to the 'patch' everyone seems to be complaining about, and before Norm and Jim jumped ship. I remember the revamp because it was accompanied by a quite ludicrous and unintentionally hilarious on-site article trying to convince punters Stormpowered was some vastly preferable alternative to Steam.

God only knows why the site is still up. If the store actually works I can only suggest folks avoid like the plague as everything bar the now abandoned SES stuff is available elsewhere for a quarter of their prices.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 15
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 9/29/2015 1:10:04 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

I may be wrong as I haven't had it installed for years, but I seem to recall that change was made when SES revamped Stormpowered sometime prior to the 'patch' everyone seems to be complaining about, and before Norm and Jim jumped ship. I remember the revamp because it was accompanied by a quite ludicrous and unintentionally hilarious on-site article trying to convince punters Stormpowered was some vastly preferable alternative to Steam.

God only knows why the site is still up. If the store actually works I can only suggest folks avoid like the plague as everything bar the now abandoned SES stuff is available elsewhere for a quarter of their prices.

Definitely good advice! Stay far away!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 16
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/24/2018 3:37:28 PM   
ETF

I found before the last patch Norm's JUTLAND by storm studios was one of the best wargames have ever played. With friends, we played the whole battle of Jutland together 3 vs 3. Multiple command and divisions. Amazing graphics fighting it from god view or from the decks and where in between. Wow never seen anything like it in my 30 years of tactical wargaming. The battles went very realistically according to our results compared to history. RTW is nice indeed. But is has graphics from the previous century and has lots of spreadsheets. It would be amazing to combine the two.

My Top Matrix Games 1)CMANO PRO(WEGO/RT) 2)Waterloo 3)War In the Pacific/AE 4)End All Wars

Twitter -Tactical Wargamer
@TacticWargamer

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 17
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/24/2018 4:10:11 PM   
elxaime

Just curious, is the CMANO engine adaptable to the Dreadnought era? That seems a possibility, simply use that system.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 18
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/25/2018 1:03:13 PM   
Capitaine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF

I found before the last patch Norm's JUTLAND by storm studios was one of the best wargames have ever played. With friends, we played the whole battle of Jutland together 3 vs 3. Multiple command and divisions. Amazing graphics fighting it from god view or from the decks and where in between. Wow never seen anything like it in my 30 years of tactical wargaming. The battles went very realistically according to our results compared to history. RTW is nice indeed. But is has graphics from the previous century and has lots of spreadsheets. It would be amazing to combine the two.

If Norm would ever put his game on, say, Steam, I'd be lined up to buy it. It's like some kind of weird loyalty test to trust SturmAdler's wacky set up, which doesn't engender confidence. I'm a HUGE WWI naval fan, but I don't need any game that much.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 19
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/25/2018 5:15:08 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alchenar

Just get Rule the Waves if you want a dreadnaught wargame. It's so simple and beautiful nothing's ever really going to beat it.

I agree. Or wait for the new game coming out, which will have aircraft carriers etc!!

Steam and Iron and Rule the Waves are superb examples of gameplay over graphics!! Sparse graphics yet so immersive.

(in reply to Alchenar)
Post #: 20
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/25/2018 11:15:37 PM   
Mobeer

I bought Distant Guns (predecessor to Jutland) when it first came out. Great game, and when my campaign save got corrupted Norm and Jim gace great personal support to get it fixed.

Unfortunately things went downhill with the DRM on Jutland. SES seemed obsessed with piracy, to the point their DRM kept preventing genuine customers from using the software. SES might have been good developers but as retailers their customer service wasn't great, especially when considering Stormpowered was going to replace Steam.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 21
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/26/2018 1:52:18 AM   
demyansk

I have cmano,too difficult for me

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 22
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/26/2018 7:55:40 AM   
altipueri

quote:

ORIGINAL: demyansk

I have cmano,too difficult for me

I'm so glad you said that because I too found it beyond me.

Perhaps there should be an Alcoholics Anonymous equivalent place for gamers to admit to owning things they can't play. War in the Pacific and Ageod's Pride of Nations are two others of mine.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 23
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/26/2018 3:50:05 PM   
cpdeyoung

I am not happy to say that all three of these games (Command, War in the Pacific, and Pride of Nations) are beyond my fun-work barrier.

Chuck

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 24
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/26/2018 4:36:38 PM   
Poopyhead

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/331-loss-of-the-british-battle-cruisers/

"Tudor could see no problem with providing capital ships with additional projectiles. There was plenty more stowage in the shell rooms under each turret. When ships were ordered to "action imminent," moreover, it was normal operating procedure for all the shell bays in the turret working chambers and gun houses to be filled. There was space inside each rotating structure for sixteen rounds per gun. After all cages, hoists and waiting trays had been loaded, therefore, there would be some forty-six projectiles (or twenty-three rounds per gun) within the ammunition supply chain between the shell rooms and the guns."

This lead to the infamous chain explosions that sank three RN Battlecruisers. If in general practice, as implied, then ADM Sir Jellicoe's whole force might have become "one-hit wonders". Do these games simulate this reality?

Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 25
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/27/2018 12:05:05 AM   
demyansk

Those titles from AGeod are great but I just can't play them.

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 26
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/27/2018 12:33:25 AM   
OldSarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Poopyhead

Do these games simulate this reality?

IIRC HPS Jutland does. SAI-WWI definitely does, it is added as a modifier that varies with each nation and the year of the scenario.

Attachment (1)

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic:
When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 27
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/27/2018 3:05:12 AM   
Hentzau

Norm Koger's masterpiece was doomed from the moment he threw in with Jim Rose. Until that moment I eagerly awaited his product. Disastrous decision.

Killerfish could make a pretty sweet WWI game based off Atlantic Fleet if they wanted to.

< Message edited by Hentzau -- 6/27/2018 3:06:22 AM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 28
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/27/2018 7:53:40 AM   
Pvt_Grunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hentzau

Killerfish could make a pretty sweet WWI game based off Atlantic Fleet if they wanted to.

Yes, I was thinking that as well.

(in reply to Hentzau)
Post #: 29
RE: Jutland by Norm Kroger - 6/27/2018 11:46:09 AM   
bazjak

Its a shame as i have had this game for a long time
Is there no-way that someone could sort it out?

(in reply to Pvt_Grunt)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Jutland by Norm Kroger Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI