Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Converting historical encounters to Command

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Converting historical encounters to Command Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Converting historical encounters to Command - 9/2/2015 3:21:05 AM   
Mgellis

Just for fun, I worked up some "rules" for "converting" historical encounters (i.e., Age of Sail) to Command...

First, find a historical encounter. Wikipedia has a large list of them!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Naval_battles_by_country

As an example, a quick bit of searching leads me to the Battle of Minorca...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Minorca_%281756%29

Now, I need to "translate" the ships. One way to do this is to assume there are three general types of ships that can be involved in such battles...

Ships of the Line (first-, second-, third-, and sometimes fourth-rate ships) -- treat these as cruisers or large destoyers, vessels of at least 5,000 tons displacement

Frigates (i.e., fifth- and sixth-rate ships) -- treat these as smaller destroyers, frigates, and large corvettes or OPVs, vessels with displacements between 1,500 and 5,000 tons

Sloops (unrated ships smaller than frigates) -- treat these as corvettes, OPVs, missile boats, etc., vessels with displacements of less than 1,500 tons

The battle of Minorca involved two large squadrons of ships, each side has about a dozen ships of the line and about half-a-dozen frigates. A Command version will give each side a dozen cruisers and/or large destroyers and half-a-dozen smaller destroyers, frigates, or corvettes.

Sides? Use the ones from the historical battle. England vs. France!

Date? Take the actual historical date and add increments of 50 years until you get a date that makes sense for Command. With this battle, from 1756, either 1956 or 2006 would be reasonable. This also lets you know which classes are appropriate for the scenario--no cheating and putting a Type 42 destroyer in a scenario set in 1956!

No aircraft carriers in these conversions, of course, but onboard helicopters can be used. Also, we assume these squadrons, etc. are on their own...no land-based aircraft backing them up.

Thoughts? Comments?
Post #: 1
RE: Converting historical encounters to Command - 9/2/2015 8:36:44 PM   
AlexGGGG

Missiles? Aircraft and carriers cannot be used, but what about missiles? The naval battle of year 17xx involved "ships of the line" because they had tendency to form a line. When only guns are available, the formations of ships are radically different form these used for missile engagement. Also firing ranges are incomparable.

Helos? in 17xx there were no spotters. Detection range in best conditions was limited by the LOS from mast-top. So helos should really be forbidden, and by the same rationale OTH radars. Because helo gives me immediate understanding of where the enemy is and what they are likely up to. Without it, I will be more inclined to divide my forces, because I will have to search for the contact with visual means only (or short-range radar for that matter).

I also have a loosely related note, like, I was searching and there seems to be few scenarios featuring hypotetical and/or future platforms. Something like airborne laser aircraft shooting at Shkval supercavitating torpedoes fired by Lun ekranoplan, with 2014th Tomcats dogfighting Tu-22DPs with AAAMs in background. Aren't you by some strange coincidence planning one of your puzzles in a future setting?

< Message edited by AlexGGGG -- 9/2/2015 9:40:20 PM >

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 2
RE: Converting historical encounters to Command - 9/3/2015 4:22:44 AM   
Mgellis

To be honest, I wasn't being very scientific about it. Mostly I was thinking in terms of "make it fun and make it easy to convert historical encounters" and "if it is part of the ship at the time, it is okay to include it in the scenario." I just figured keeping out land-based aircraft, etc." would help keep the "age of sail" feel. The ships are on their own. But a 1785 scenario updated to 1985 can have helicopters and missiles and long range radar.

Probably, to do a "guns only, no long range radar, no helicopters" approach, you would probably want to limit the scenarios to the late 1940s or the early 1950s, when what was being used was mostly updated World War II vessels. But you can definitely do it that way.

I actually have not done much with hypothetical platforms, but I'm definitely considering the possibilities.

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlexGGGG

Missiles? Aircraft and carriers cannot be used, but what about missiles? The naval battle of year 17xx involved "ships of the line" because they had tendency to form a line. When only guns are available, the formations of ships are radically different form these used for missile engagement. Also firing ranges are incomparable.

Helos? in 17xx there were no spotters. Detection range in best conditions was limited by the LOS from mast-top. So helos should really be forbidden, and by the same rationale OTH radars. Because helo gives me immediate understanding of where the enemy is and what they are likely up to. Without it, I will be more inclined to divide my forces, because I will have to search for the contact with visual means only (or short-range radar for that matter).

I also have a loosely related note, like, I was searching and there seems to be few scenarios featuring hypotetical and/or future platforms. Something like airborne laser aircraft shooting at Shkval supercavitating torpedoes fired by Lun ekranoplan, with 2014th Tomcats dogfighting Tu-22DPs with AAAMs in background. Aren't you by some strange coincidence planning one of your puzzles in a future setting?

(in reply to AlexGGGG)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Converting historical encounters to Command Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI