Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dynamic campaign possible?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Dynamic campaign possible? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dynamic campaign possible? - 8/20/2015 2:22:09 PM   
cns180784

Hi i'm still quite new to command, played a few scenarios so far and getting into it nicely. Was wondering if, i guess not now, but at some point in the future there could be the possibility for a scenario maker to create a dynamic campaign like there is in Falcon BMS? would be truly awesome.
Post #: 1
RE: Dynamic campaign possible? - 8/20/2015 7:39:03 PM   
jmarso

I am guessing that by a 'dynamic campaign' you are referring to linked scenarios.

I'm not one of the devs, but if my understanding of how the game works is correct I don't think this is possible the way you are thinking. I think (I might be wrong) that you can chain together scenarios using lua scripts, but importing a new scenario won't refer back to losses or resources expended in terms of the scenario you are jumping from.

On the other hand, this game affords you the ultimate opportunity to play a campaign: you can design as long and convoluted as you want; the trick is that you probably won't be able to sit and play it in one sitting. The other problem you run into there is that obviously, the larger the scenario is with more units, the more of a CPU hog it becomes.

That's my .02, but one of the devs can probably answer your question a lot better.

(in reply to cns180784)
Post #: 2
RE: Dynamic campaign possible? - 8/21/2015 12:25:13 AM   
hellfish6

I think dynamic campaign in the grand sense is the incorporation of a strategic layer above the operational layer - so that your actions as a battlefield/operational-level commander have effects on the outcome of the war (be it economic, political, military). Right now, CMNAO doesn't concern itself with any of that - you hit a target gives you points for the scenario and removes the target from the enemy's command. It doesn't affect morale/will to fight or protect their sea lanes/air space beyond that. In a true dynamic campaign (I've never considered linked scenarios dynamic), the loss of a platform would have cascading effects on the nation/group you're at war with.

(in reply to jmarso)
Post #: 3
RE: Dynamic campaign possible? - 8/21/2015 7:46:38 PM   
mikmykWS

Its more possible than it ever has been mostly because of some key changes we've made to the logistic models (SAM reloads, replenishment, refueling)and lua. In my mind though we still need to get port replenishment and a few more higher level AI things working. Lua and the Event editor really addresses a lot though.

Falcon BMS's approach and engineering to accomplish was and is brilliant and amazing. A flight sim lends itself to their design well because they're not sim'ing everything in that world at once but rather what's in focus which helps keep calculation overhead low. We are sim'ing everything though which is a considerable challenge. I think we can take it.

BTW I think the most brilliant thing about their design is they're able to do this while maintaining a story narrative that makes sense. I've never really seen oddball results and I very much feel like I'm contributing to the war effort while playing. They deserve to be in a video game hall of fame for this. I'm serious.

In the meantime if would be great to see scenario editors push durations out to see what shakes out. Like everything else our approach will be to address what comes out of that.

Mike

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 4
RE: Dynamic campaign possible? - 8/21/2015 9:04:36 PM   
ETF

Even something like JUTLAND would be nice......always adds to the realism of the battles. ie. saving resources....knowing when to run rather than suicide missions to score some points :)
Mikmyk how is the WEGO MP aspect to the engine coming along sir? Would make a nice Xmas present

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 5
RE: Dynamic campaign possible? - 8/21/2015 9:10:04 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF

Even something like JUTLAND would be nice......always adds to the realism of the battles. ie. saving resources....knowing when to run rather than suicide missions to score some points :)
Mikmyk how is the WEGO MP aspect to the engine coming along sir? Would make a nice Xmas present

The party line is its still very much on our list and given some of the pro things going on may be getting a greater priority.

My take is this is something we always wanted. The end game in our mind always had Command as a sandbox simulation with lots of inputs and mp'er. I'm still very confident we'll get there. Mostly because the team and community has the energy and brains to get it done.

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 8/21/2015 10:10:49 PM >

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Dynamic campaign possible? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI