Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Windows and Firefox

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Windows and Firefox Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows and Firefox - 8/10/2015 2:33:01 PM   
m10bob

It is official..Microsoft did not do anything with Windows 10 to accommodate other browsers. Windows 10 comes with a browser called "Edge"

Problem is, other browsers may or may not work so well on Windows 10.

I have used Firefox for years and the programmer/owner of Firefox published an open letter to Microsoft complaining that Windows 10 needs to be more compliant of third party browsers, (as they would for 3rd party games.

While Windows 10 allows one to select their "browser of choice", it may or may not keep that as the recognized browser and may ask you to "select a browser of choice" every single time you log on from a cold boot.

I have done this maybe 15 times since acquiring Win10......

Frankly, I was glad to see it was not just me..

Other symptoms? Speed within your internet experience may suffer..

In Matrixgames? They play on Win10 but you may need to open the "properties" screen and either make it run on compatibility for another version of Windows, or add switches to the .exe ...

That said, I like Windows 10 and anticipate bug fixes just like with any other program..

Post #: 1
RE: Windows and Firefox - 8/10/2015 2:59:02 PM   
Yaab

Bro, can you spare a Win XP?

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 2
RE: Windows and Firefox - 8/10/2015 3:51:48 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

It is official..Microsoft did not do anything with Windows 10 to accommodate other browsers. Windows 10 comes with a browser called "Edge"

Problem is, other browsers may or may not work so well on Windows 10.

I have used Firefox for years and the programmer/owner of Firefox published an open letter to Microsoft complaining that Windows 10 needs to be more compliant of third party browsers, (as they would for 3rd party games.

While Windows 10 allows one to select their "browser of choice", it may or may not keep that as the recognized browser and may ask you to "select a browser of choice" every single time you log on from a cold boot.
That's bad. I haven't seen it yet, will be on the lookout. They have to fix that behavior.

I have done this maybe 15 times since acquiring Win10......

Frankly, I was glad to see it was not just me..

Other symptoms? Speed within your internet experience may suffer..
Chrome is behaving very well on Win10 so far.

In Matrixgames? They play on Win10 but you may need to open the "properties" screen and either make it run on compatibility for another version of Windows, or add switches to the .exe ...
Switches very likely. Very doubtful compatibility mode is needed at all.

That said, I like Windows 10 and anticipate bug fixes just like with any other program..

I used to use Firefox but ~5 or 6 years ago switched to Chrome.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 3
RE: Windows and Firefox - 8/10/2015 7:26:19 PM   
wdolson

I smell a lawsuit coming.

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4
RE: Windows and Firefox - 8/10/2015 7:43:20 PM   
witpqs

The more I think about it the more I am wondering if Bob is just missing a check box or option that says something like "Don't ask me this again" and so it keeps asking. Bob?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 5
RE: Windows and Firefox - 8/11/2015 2:28:08 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

The more I think about it the more I am wondering if Bob is just missing a check box or option that says something like "Don't ask me this again" and so it keeps asking. Bob?

Nope.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/30/pushed-over-the-edge/#.ddarwe:CXPB

< Message edited by m10bob -- 8/11/2015 3:30:59 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 6
RE: Windows and Firefox - 8/11/2015 4:06:42 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

Nope.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/30/pushed-over-the-edge/#.ddarwe:CXPB

That article is consistent with what I said and with my own experience. What I mean is that you do that procedure one time only and it sticks. That is still a difference because it used to be that during installation you could just click on Firefox's (or anybody else's) question to make it your default browser and that would work. And of course, the fact that it changed your default while upgrading to Win10 is annoying.

From what I have seen so far, Microsoft is making it a little harder for software to change system-wide settings that people might not be aware are being changed. That's a good thing, but it's also not a perfectly clean concept. It does not account for those times when you *do* want software to change settings while it's being installed.

The biggest problem is for people who do not easily know how to find those settings and make the changes that they want. That is of course the great majority of people. Microsoft has done much, much better with this upgrade than they have in the past with many things going fantastically well. The still need vast improvement in making information 1) easy for people to find for people who don't already know the answer, and 2) actually having information published for users to find in the first place. There is at least one thing that I've searched for about Win10 that I simply cannot find either in Win10 itself or on Microsoft.com, and I have a pretty good idea how to look for things.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 7
RE: Windows and Firefox - 8/11/2015 8:45:39 PM   
JeffroK

I had no problems with Firefox & W10, it even put an icon on the toolbar to move to Firefox.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 8
RE: Windows and Firefox - 8/11/2015 9:59:17 PM   
MrKane

My problems with Windows 10 got just solved. :D I have managed to rid of that icon on tool-bar "Get Windows 10" in my windows 7. ;)

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 9
RE: Windows and Firefox - 8/12/2015 1:36:33 PM   
witpqs

Firefox version 40 is out.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5198/firefox-40-is-designed-for-windows-10

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5202/a-few-tips-for-using-firefox-40-with-windows-10

(in reply to MrKane)
Post #: 10
RE: Windows and Firefox - 8/12/2015 2:23:44 PM   
Lecivius

I am having fits with the new Firefox. I have had to shut it down here at work, and go back to IE11. Memory and Kernel problems, and something that keeps reporting as a Firefox Profile. Not my profile, a Firefox Profile. Very strange, but it started with the latest update.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 11
RE: Windows and Firefox - 8/12/2015 3:13:40 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I am having fits with the new Firefox. I have had to shut it down here at work, and go back to IE11. Memory and Kernel problems, and something that keeps reporting as a Firefox Profile. Not my profile, a Firefox Profile. Very strange, but it started with the latest update.

Do you mean 40, the one that just came out yesterday?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 12
RE: Windows and Firefox - 8/12/2015 4:19:25 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Do you mean 40, the one that just came out yesterday?

39.03, I have not updated yet. Sorta nervous about it until I get the time to find out why I'm having fits.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Windows and Firefox Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI