I've made my share of video games....and I can tell you with certainty, the current convoy system is neither as-designed nor as-wanted. But, I agree it was better to release the game, than stall the game's release.
But, what we as players can do, is help ourselves make the gaming experience better by passing useful information around. For example, the step-by-step to deal with the clunky convoy system. Here's a contribution from me:
1. eliminate unlimited corp breakdown into divs. It opens a whole can of worms tactically. 3 divs ALWAYS takes an unoccupied hex. UK can use cruisers to go invade all kinds of places and automatically take hexes. Re-inforce the balkans? no problem; send 6 divs on cruisers from UK near the end of the turn. land them. At the end of the turn reform into corps (or not). I've invaded sardinia, corsica, and Sicily in june '41. What Japan and Italy can do is even worse to contemplate....
2. Is sicily home-country for Italy? If so, Palermo should be a home-country primary supply source. An italian nav in Syracuse was unable to reorganize during end of turn activities--I think because of the presence of UK ships in the Italian Coast. However, the ships shouldn't matter when tracing to Palermo, right?
3. USSR declared war on Japan and went and sank the USA-JPN conv chain--causing JPN to break the trade and giving USA 2-chits per turn! Either JPN should start with a few more conv's at game-start. Or, not have this rule in effect while JPN and USSR are at war. Fixing the USSR/JPN war/peace situation would be nice. My house-rule is this:
New Deplomatic Action for USSR: USSR demands cessation of Manchurian resource exploitation by JPN.
Japan Accepts: Must immediately idle 2 resources until JPN and USSR are at war. If JPN does not idle 2 resources, JPN must declare war on USSR next impulse.
Japan Declines: USSR immediately declares war on JPN.
These rules were created within the confines of current game coding and therefore are stated as they are. Without these rules, USSR goes to war with JPN if for no other reason than to get "land actions" and will likely save China during 1940's tough year. Add the USA conv chain as well as some heavy bombing runs in Japan, and boy...it can be tough on Japan in 1940. Incidentally, to get the heavy bombers back to East Front, the USSR player removes the pilots of the bombers in cities (Vladivostok) and next unit placement they show up in the Crimea.
2. Probably playing oil and can't trace to any across the straits due to playing both Options 11 and 12. Don't use option 12.
3. This has always been an available ploy in the game. There are consequences for Russia too. And Japan should be aware of the possibility and guard against it by keeping a CP reserve.