Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reputation loss not severe enough?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Reputation loss not severe enough? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reputation loss not severe enough? - 7/18/2015 1:28:35 PM   
jadelith

It seems to me that regaining reputation after attacking w/o wardec, bombing planets etc. is far far too quick. I think bad AND good rep gains should be much more "sticky", and the neutralization of rep should be nerfed to the ground.

Opinions?
Post #: 1
RE: Reputation loss not severe enough? - 7/18/2015 2:18:34 PM   
ASHBERY76

Yes and don't expect it to change.This is one of those aspects that should have been moddable, like diplomacy.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 7/18/2015 3:17:52 PM >

(in reply to jadelith)
Post #: 2
RE: Reputation loss not severe enough? - 7/18/2015 2:31:42 PM   
RiftHick

I see reputation as more of a relic system, one that was largely dropped in favour of race, government and species family bias ratings but only kept around for a few vestigial things like domestic and foreign opinions.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 3
RE: Reputation loss not severe enough? - 7/24/2015 1:04:33 AM   
Tehlongone

That may be how it's working now, but improving it just a little should not be overly difficult. It would make sense for crimes like extensive planetary bombardments involving the deaths of billions would be remembered for a long, long time.

(in reply to RiftHick)
Post #: 4
RE: Reputation loss not severe enough? - 7/24/2015 11:19:37 AM   
RiftHick

I don't see the point in adding to a system or aspect that as had most of it's purpose made more dynamic and distributed among other things as it defeats the purpose of being distributed. Also remembered how? negatively or positively and by who? I somehow doubt "alliance" empires like Kaiden, Human, AGs..etc would care that much if someone actually did bombard the Shakturi into extinction but they might care if I targeted the Wekkarus and they certainly would care if I targeted the Securans meanwhile I don't think the Shakturi or any malignant empires would care too much if the AGs got nuked....etc. Ideally the reputation system would be much more dynamic allowing for much more than uniform and universal praise or condemnation for actions but as it stands right now its complete and widespread condemnation/ praise even when it makes no sense in context. A fix to all of this would most likely require a substantial rewrite to a large part of the diplomatic side of the game and at this stage in the games life is in my opinion unreasonable.

(in reply to Tehlongone)
Post #: 5
RE: Reputation loss not severe enough? - 7/24/2015 1:09:13 PM   
Spidey

quote:

It would make sense for crimes like extensive planetary bombardments involving the deaths of billions would be remembered for a long, long time.

One of the things that annoy me quite a bit about this game is how human-centric most of the concepts are. Humans have a strange concept of "war crimes" so obviously all the aliens do as well, even the psychotic killer bugs that marvel in death and love working their slaves to death in planetary prison colonies.

What would be awesome is if there was a contextualized impact of these kinds of actions. Sluken are very unlikely to give a damn whether humans kill a trillion Gizureans or vice versa, while the Securans would detest the loss of so many potential tourists and the Haakonish would detest the loss of real estate caused by the bombing while being largely unphased about some bald apes and gibbering insects dying. That said, they might all obviously dislike the idea of this happening on their home turf, so the impact would be affected by their level of caution. Aggressive speciels would respond with immediate screaming while less aggressive speciels would maintain a mostly discrete grudge for the foreseeable future.

(in reply to RiftHick)
Post #: 6
RE: Reputation loss not severe enough? - 7/24/2015 7:29:51 PM   
Tehlongone

Well I was talking simple, easy improvements for a developer, though if we consider ideal situations a dynamic system is definitely best.

A middle road would be if some races simply cared less for the whole "reputation" thing in the first place. Then reputation can genuinely cover human-like morality (which lorewise is definitely shared by many races) and races/governments can decide to which degree they care if at all. The "good" governments/races would not realistically condone large scale genocide (bombardments/exterminations) except against the most heinous and uncompromising races like the Shakturi. As such reputation makes sense for them, though killing evil races ought to have less impact than neutral/good ones.

Also I do think the Sluken would care if Gizureans were killed, not because they consider their lives sacred of course, but because they'd consider genocide targeted at insectoids a threat, and the Gizureans might be considered a potential ally which would be missed not to mention that if there is already a semi-consensus amongst the "civilized" races then even the races that don't genuinely care would loudly proclaim their condemnation. Slukens might be more indifferent to the death of humans/Atuuk/Ackdarians or other races likely to cause them nothing but trouble.

But yes, ideally each race would receive a "condemnation" modifier which depends on their individual dislike of the enemy race as well as murder in general. It wouldn't be a general reputation value but a modifier to the diplomatic opinion of all other empires separately in relation to the guilty empire, and then some things might take a few years to forgive while others might take centuries. Like how opinion modifiers work in Crusader Kings 2.

Also your Haakonish comment in regards to real estate reminds me, planets heal too fast! Especially if a planet was bombed to somewhere around zero percent it should take several decades before it's even reasonably useful. If fact it should take centuries, but maybe just a decade or so IF the terraforming facility is constructed. Then maybe that facility might have some use, considering how useless it is right now.

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Reputation loss not severe enough? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI