Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

#HoW15 - An AAR from a gamers perspective

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2016 - The Home of Wargamers >> Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2015 - The Home of Wargamers >> #HoW15 - An AAR from a gamers perspective Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
#HoW15 - An AAR from a gamers perspective - 6/26/2015 8:00:27 PM   
terry1040

Wow, what a great event it was.

2.5 days of focus on wargames development and the marketing strategies. Located in the beautiful historic CastelBrando, just 1hr north of Venice, Italy. I was able to meet great developers from all around the world incl. legends like Joel Billings, Roger Keating and Hubert Carter. Had great chats during the breaks, lunch & dinner. Each day closing the bar late night with a couple of hardcore gentleman joining in.

Thanks to the generosity of Slitherine I had the pleasure to participate again in such an event after already attending #HoW14. This year I represented the role of a gamer's ambassador, i.e speaking for the community of hardcore wargamers around the world. Trying to explain & defend their/our constant interest in fresh future games. Being already 50 years old myself, I also tried to fairly represent the interests of the younger Generation Y.

What a huge responsibility to carry on my shoulders indeed.

In preparation of the event I have already supported Slitherine in creating relevant questions for the planned Twitch live-stream session. On several social media sites as well as the Matrix-Forum Daniele of Slitherine and I posted different topics. Then we tried to condense the ongoing gamers discussion into main trends.

Some examples: Is bigger always better? IGOUGO or WEGO? What are the current challenges to make games successful? Do we really need Hexes? What defines complexity of a wargame? Those topics already lead to some good discussions upfront on the different media and within this forum. If you have not read them, check them out in the #HoW15 section. During the Twitch Live Stream many of them were discussed by both the developers & Slitherine.

Also for the first time a lot of the event was streamed via Twitch. This allowed the developers community around the world to watch in the different presentation and discussion. I am sure you will find some of them available online very soon on either Twitch or Youtube.

The Slitherine team did a lot to entertain us. It was well organized including a local wine tasting experience, a gala dinner and a cool medieval "Arrow Shooting"-Tournament. My "Blue"-team only ended up 4th, despite my bulls-eye hit on the deer's heart. Not sure if the cool fleet of 5 Ferrari in front of the castle belonged the event as well.

On the final day, most of us had the chance to join in to visit the lovely historic town of Treviso, home of Tiramisu. Yummy. :-)

I would really like to express my special thanks to JD, Ian and Marco of Slitherine for taking the effort of organizing such an massive event. From personal experience I know how much effort it takes to put this all together and to manage the logistics of such an event.

Well done guys!

Bringing together the best wargame developers around the world to discuss and share ideas about the next generation of games is a great way to help to have these niche games available for the years to come. If Slitherine plays their cards well, then they will also be able to attract a younger audience and to expand their business.

I am looking forward to this as well as to #HOW16.

Cheers
Terry

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terry1040 -- 6/26/2015 11:57:48 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: #HoW15 - An AAR from a gamers perspective - 6/30/2015 6:26:32 PM   
Helpless

quote:

My "Blue"-team only ended up 4th, despite my bulls-eye hit on the deer's heart.

Attachment (1)

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to terry1040)
Post #: 2
RE: #HoW15 - An AAR from a gamers perspective - 6/30/2015 8:37:52 PM   
wodin

Sounds great..I do hope the topic of to many Panzer Corps type games getting developed\released compared to the amount of new innovative wargame designs was discussed. I'm looking forward to Heroes of Normandie and of course Steel Tigers but I'm also hoping we get to see some surprises that bring a fresh new look and feature\mechanic set to the table.

One game standing out currently in development that is bringing new mechanics and features is Decisive Campaigns 3. Some major aspects of the game design is really exciting and a breath of fresh air.

< Message edited by wodin -- 6/30/2015 9:39:48 PM >

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 3
RE: #HoW15 - An AAR from a gamers perspective - 7/5/2015 11:34:57 AM   
zakblood

Barbarossa done again to me isn't a fresh of breath air, it's another one of what's already been done over and over again and already been done very well, what will it bring new to a already well done section of the small war gaming market?

i'll test anything, i'll play anything, i like everything, so it's just a comment wodin and nothing else, but what in your opinion makes it stand out from the others?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: #HoW15 - An AAR from a gamers perspective - 7/29/2015 7:22:22 AM   
Lobster

There are only so many significant battles in WW2. All of them have already been done. Some have been done more times than others. Battle of the Bulge comes to mind. So of course they will be done again because history has a fixed set of 'scenarios'. Being a fan of the East Front I have no problem with someone doing Barbarossa again. What would you suggest Mr. zakblood?

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: #HoW15 - An AAR from a gamers perspective - 7/29/2015 7:54:06 AM   
zakblood

i'd like to see Arnhem done well, Crete would be nice, Falklands war, Gulf war but on a pure ww2 front, i'd go for DDay with options, so not a WITE or West game as such, more of certain battles with plenty of what if type thrown in so doesn't have to be history re done, but what could have been etc, then again it's only a dream imo.

WITE and West are great as they are, WITPAE is good as well, so now for something different i'd like not a whole world stage, but a section of it that could be impacted by different events, no mass spending on V weapons or wonder weapons so budget can be spent on rest of the army etc, so less newer monster stuff and more of the stuff that worked, as i like what if type battles and wars, but will play anything Mr Lobster :)

no need to be so formal, i answer to almost anything m8 :)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 7/29/2015 8:55:39 AM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 6
RE: #HoW15 - An AAR from a gamers perspective - 8/6/2015 9:23:56 PM   
Lobster

Some game companies have already done some of what you ask for. I won't mention names *coughJTillercough*. I would like to see a WitE done with a realistic space/time aspect instead of the current arcade system. But that's just me. The best Arnhem game ever done was a board game by SPI many years ago. Would be nice to see a decent computer version. They also did the best Crete and D Day games I've ever seen. Again, all board games. I'm amazed that they have never been redone for the computer. There is more than enough material out there, even the battles that have already been done can be done better. Unfortunately for me, an old wargamer from way back (been at it for over 50 years), I prefer the grog versions of everything. Seems most new gamers want fast and furious over realistic. That's probably why WitE was so popular when it came out. I just couldn't get used to moving units through a hex were a battle was taking place as though there was nothing there.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
RE: #HoW15 - An AAR from a gamers perspective - 9/22/2015 4:32:00 PM   
jjdenver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster
There are only so many significant battles in WW2. All of them have already been done. Some have been done more times than others. Battle of the Bulge comes to mind. So of course they will be done again because history has a fixed set of 'scenarios'. Being a fan of the East Front I have no problem with someone doing Barbarossa again. What would you suggest Mr. zakblood?

I'm quite happy to see Barbarossa, or better 41-45 (I find Barbarossa-only games terribly unsatisfying when they end in late 41 early 42) done well. There is not a single 41-45 or even Barbarossa game that I think is a great game. Grigsby's game has the terrible "carpet" syndrome for example.

Something like "Bulge" I don't want to see again. It's very limited in scope (operational/grand-tactical only).

There's my 2 cents.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2016 - The Home of Wargamers >> Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2015 - The Home of Wargamers >> #HoW15 - An AAR from a gamers perspective Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI