Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Capturing Messina

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> The War Room >> Capturing Messina Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Capturing Messina - 6/24/2015 11:55:09 PM   
tex_ka95

Does anyone have any tips for capturing Messina in the 43-45 Italy scenario? I am pretty new to WitW. I kicked a$$ across Sicily, destroying the 1st FJ div, the HG div and 2/3 of the 15th PzG. But the Germans are holed up in Messina (unlike historically) with 2 other PzG div and I can't make a dent with 10+ British div plus artillery.

In the meantime I am planning an invasion of Corsica and Sardinia so maybe that will help.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Capturing Messina - 6/25/2015 1:12:16 AM   
carlkay58

Messina is a tough nut to crack.

1. Remember that adjacent Naval Amphib HQs will give artillery type support to attacks.
2. Be sure to have your Corps HQs bulk up with artillery SUs.
3. Attach Engineer SUs to your ground units.
4. Place ground units that are above the six unit limit in the two adjacent hexes into Reserve mode where they could be committed to the battle in the Reserve activation.
5. Use Ground Support AD to support the higher commands for air support.
6. Use Ground Attack AD targeting Units to hit the units in the city and disrupt them.

Hope that helps. It may take more than a single turn to capture it but it is possible.

(in reply to tex_ka95)
Post #: 2
RE: Capturing Messina - 6/25/2015 4:10:04 PM   
Q-Ball

Carlkay is right, and one more thing you can do if you have two amphibs available is isolate it, by placing them adjacent to the ferry hexes (but not adjacent to the ports; it's possible to position them that way).

That will make it still tough to crack, but you will bag the German defenders

This is why many humans don't defend Messina with Germans usually; getting elite units destroyed is a disaster, not because of the losses so much as the morale loss when the unit comes back

EDIT: Another way to get a tough position is to move fresh units in to attack it twice, if you have alot available. The defenders will be tired after first combat, second one is often successful, IF you have fresh units to commit

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 6/25/2015 5:11:21 PM >

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 3
RE: Capturing Messina - 6/25/2015 6:32:40 PM   
tex_ka95

Thanks carlkay58 and Q-Ball. I wasn't aware of #1. I'll def try that. Does attaching the engineer units directly to divisions make them more effective than if they are attached to Corps HQ but still take part in the battle?

I've been playing around with #5 and #6 as well. Still getting used to the new air setup.

Erik

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 4
RE: Capturing Messina - 6/25/2015 7:20:59 PM   
Seminole

Naval gunfire can dish out some brutal disruption. TFs can be moved to a fire support position during the turn, then return to port at the end of the turn (provided you have ample movement) and continue prepping for the next invasion.

(in reply to tex_ka95)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> The War Room >> Capturing Messina Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI