Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to form Amphibious HQs for Invasions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> How to form Amphibious HQs for Invasions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to form Amphibious HQs for Invasions - 5/22/2015 7:32:07 PM   
pbbm

Hey,

So I got this game a while ago and finally have gotten around to learning it. I played through the Sicily campaign on Easy, and have just loaded up the 1943 to 1945 campaign to try it out. For whatever reason I wanted to form an amphibious task force out of my Free French forces based in Bizerte and land them in northern Sicily. I re-read the guide that comes with the game and I'm almost sure it doesn't mention how to form an amphibious task force, even in the hotkey section. I'm sure I either missed a really obvious button in the game, or equally obvious instructions in the manual, but if anyone can let me know how to form an amphibious headquarters for an invasion I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: How to form Amphibious HQs for Invasions - 5/22/2015 7:51:34 PM   
marion61

You start the campaign with 6 TF HQ's already and you had two of used them in the Sicily scenario. In the campaign after you've landed and got your self established you pull those TF's back to functional ports and put combat units with them.

This is the one page guide in the Player's Handbook and it explains invasions. I don't recall the exact rule in the rule book, but you start with six TF's and later you'll get two more, but these are the HQ's for all invasions by sea.

In the campaign you can also retarget your TF's to new invasion sites and only lose 1 prep point so that the next turn they can invade instead of losing 1/3 of their prep.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by meklore61 -- 5/22/2015 8:53:08 PM >

(in reply to pbbm)
Post #: 2
RE: How to form Amphibious HQs for Invasions - 5/22/2015 8:12:23 PM   
pbbm

Ah, thank you meklore61! For some reason I thought you could build new amphibious HQs.

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 3
RE: How to form Amphibious HQs for Invasions - 9/18/2018 1:23:51 PM   
BeirutDude

How do you repair the damage they suffer between invasions?

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 4
RE: How to form Amphibious HQs for Invasions - 9/18/2018 2:58:03 PM   
Red Lancer

Put them back in a Port.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 5
RE: How to form Amphibious HQs for Invasions - 9/18/2018 3:19:50 PM   
BeirutDude

Just any port?

Does depot size matter?

Port capacity considerations?

If I invade Catania on turn 2 I can bring the Amphib HQ into Catania on turn 3 to repair damage?

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to Red Lancer)
Post #: 6
RE: How to form Amphibious HQs for Invasions - 9/18/2018 3:30:10 PM   
Joel Billings

16.6.2.2. Amphibious HQ at Sea Attrition and Damage to Amphibious HQs Amphibious HQ units that are at sea (defined as being in a water hex or a temporary port hex) during the logistics phase will suffer damage and transport ships attached to them may be sunk. The chance of attached transport and cargo ships being sunk is determined as follows based on location of the amphibious HQ unit: 1. Calculate the value AG by first adding (Rnd(10)+(enemy double digit interdiction value in hex))/10 and truncating 2. Add to AG the value for coast defences as done in step 2 of section 16.7.1 3. Randomize AG (pick a number randomly between 0 and AG and this becomes the new value of AG) Each attached transport and cargo ship checks and if Die(20)<Die(1+AG+(weather value of hex*2)) then the ship is considered sunk and removed from the game. The weather value of the hex for this check is based on the air weather, 0=clear, 1=rain 2=heavy rain, 3=cold, 4=snowfall 5=blizzard. Amphibious HQ units themselves can be damaged while at sea and this damage can be repaired when in a permanent port during the logistics phase. The current damage of an amphibious HQ unit is shown on the right unit bar. Damage is added to an amphibious HQ unit at sea each turn in the logistics phase as follows: 1. Calculate AG value as per 3 steps above. 2. Add 1 plus the air weather value of the hex (0=clear, 1=rain 2=heavy rain, 3=cold, 4=snowfall 5=blizzard) 3. This total is the damage added to the amphibious HQ unit Once an amphibious HQ unit’s damage is greater than 99, it is withdrawn from the map and set to reappear as a reinforcement unit in 12 turns. An amphibious HQ unit that is in a permanent port during the logistics phase will have some of its damage repaired (the larger the port, the more damage repaired).

---Likely any damage to the port will slow the repairs.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 7
RE: How to form Amphibious HQs for Invasions - 9/18/2018 3:51:07 PM   
BeirutDude

Thank you!

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> How to form Amphibious HQs for Invasions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI