Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this a Good Battle of Britain Sim?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Is this a Good Battle of Britain Sim? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this a Good Battle of Britain Sim? - 5/14/2015 12:42:47 AM   
SpicyJuan

Hi, I was considering purchasing this simulator, but I have a few questions first:

How good of a simulator is this game at simulating the Battle of Britain? If I use this to test out say the plausibility of Germany winning the Battle of Britain (indeed a highly controversial topic) would it give me a good, "accurate" answer?

Also, how well does this game allow to be modified? Is there an editor in-game so I can test out scenarios where Germany employs the He 100 and Fw 187?
Post #: 1
RE: Is this a Good Battle of Britain Sim? - 5/14/2015 1:18:56 AM   
VegasOZ

I have deleted it from my machine. It is in terrible condition and does not run well at all. It is in serious need of an upgrade and patch. Personally I would NOT recommend buying it, waste of money and time.

(in reply to SpicyJuan)
Post #: 2
RE: Is this a Good Battle of Britain Sim? - 5/14/2015 2:02:37 AM   
SpicyJuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ

I have deleted it from my machine. It is in terrible condition and does not run well at all. It is in serious need of an upgrade and patch. Personally I would NOT recommend buying it, waste of money and time.

Oh, is an update on the horizon at all? Also, do you recommend Battle of Britain II as a sim?

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 3
RE: Is this a Good Battle of Britain Sim? - 5/14/2015 3:51:46 AM   
VegasOZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: SpicyJuan

quote:

Oh, is an update on the horizon at all? Also, do you recommend Battle of Britain II as a sim?

If you mean the Battle of Britain: Wings of Victory (I think it is) I cannot recommend that either. It is basically a Flight Sim wrapped up in a so called strategic game. You are supposed to fly the planes during engagements. I tried to play it by letting the AI fly the missions and I handled the strategic part, but it is very non-historic and not very much fun at all. It is also deleted from my machine.

(in reply to SpicyJuan)
Post #: 4
RE: Is this a Good Battle of Britain Sim? - 5/14/2015 3:52:38 AM   
VegasOZ

As far as I can see there is NO HOPE of a patch for this game anytime soon. It appears to be dead and gone as a game.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 5
RE: Is this a Good Battle of Britain Sim? - 5/15/2015 9:08:40 PM   
SpicyJuan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SpicyJuan

quote:

If you mean the Battle of Britain: Wings of Victory (I think it is) I cannot recommend that either. It is basically a Flight Sim wrapped up in a so called strategic game. You are supposed to fly the planes during engagements. I tried to play it by letting the AI fly the missions and I handled the strategic part, but it is very non-historic and not very much fun at all. It is also deleted from my machine.

Oh, how sad Are there any to look forward to in the future? Perhaps another Gary Grisby game dealing with the early years of the war? (S
since War in the West only covers 1943-)?

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 6
RE: Is this a Good Battle of Britain Sim? - 5/15/2015 11:09:34 PM   
JeffroK

Not everyone thinks it is trash.

I dont see it as a sim, its a strategy game.

The BoB part works OK, a few historical questions about things but nothing game breaking.

As Luftwaffe you plan your raids and sit back to watch the replay, as the RAF you get to plot patrols, intercept raids and manage your AA.

The game is from an early era, computer games have moved on, Its worth $20
(Bombing the Reich has a few more problems, it runs for 2 years rather than a month so has more chance to screw up, but I like it.)

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to SpicyJuan)
Post #: 7
RE: Is this a Good Battle of Britain Sim? - 6/29/2015 7:05:18 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK
Not everyone thinks it is trash.

It is definitely not trash. As a sim, it is fun. A whole lot of planes in those hun formations, for little fps hit. Decent looking game, and as I said it is fun, once you get past that weird Rowan feel

quote:

I dont see it as a sim, its a strategy game.

You are in the minority. Look at the effort put into the sim versus the strategic sides of the game since Rowan released the source code... Sim = YEARS. Strategy = ZERO.

quote:

The BoB part works OK, a few historical questions about things but nothing game breaking.

I disagree. It's a fun sim. But they completely ignored the strategy side of the house, once they got the source code. If they only would've dedicated an iota to the interface. The hoops one must jump through to get information that is basic to all strategic BOB games, are too small and too high. Which is a real shame, as it could've been a great strategy game.

As to Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich, I agree with Vegasooze... you'd be better off to run the originals and deal with the warp speed map mouse scroll. This combined iteration would never run right here. And of course you must remember, like BOB II, it is based on the original code, as modified by others. In this case the original codes by Grigsby have been combined from both original games, patched, ripped, speed taped, safety-wired, torn, stapled, hammered, etc. (I just wanted a fix for the high speed mouse map scroll of the originals! *argh*)

This game is a dead issue. No patches. No fixes. No support (they're rumored to still be in hiding, to this day!).

For my strategic BOB fix, I'm back to 1983's "Fighter Command" by SSI. No one has surpassed Charlie Merrow's 48k programming.

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 8
RE: Is this a Good Battle of Britain Sim? - 7/3/2015 4:57:50 AM   
AlterEgo

E, I'm pretty sure JeffK was talking about EDBTR, not BoB from Rowan.

(in reply to E)
Post #: 9
RE: Is this a Good Battle of Britain Sim? - 7/3/2015 5:03:50 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlterEgo
I'm pretty sure JeffK was talking about EDBTR, not BoB from Rowan.

Okay I see it now... he missed the BoB II switch, and I missed that he missed it. Not that any of it matters at this point, and even much less at the point I posted!

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

(in reply to AlterEgo)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Is this a Good Battle of Britain Sim? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI