Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tried Stardrive 2 but Distant Worlds Universe is still the best Space 4X there is!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tried Stardrive 2 but Distant Worlds Universe is still the best Space 4X there is! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tried Stardrive 2 but Distant Worlds Universe is still ... - 4/28/2015 4:59:02 AM   
Tanaka

I tried Stardrive 2 and it is ok but I keep coming back to Distant Worlds for the best space 4X gaming there is! Nothing beats it still! Thanks for the continued patching and support!!!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 4/28/2015 6:02:01 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Tried Stardrive 2 but Distant Worlds Universe is st... - 4/28/2015 1:11:27 PM   
Icemania

I'll second that motion. I've been playing the daylights out of Stardrive 2, if you like a military focused game it's fun. I consider it a decent game (unlike Stardrive 1) that needs a few expansions and patches to be remotely close to being competitive with Distant Worlds. I'm trying to start modding the Stardrive 2 AI starting with ship designs and it's not easy. I can get the AI to use some of my Cruiser ship designs and that's about it. It makes you appreciate how much was opened up to us ...

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 2
RE: Tried Stardrive 2 but Distant Worlds Universe is st... - 4/28/2015 1:44:07 PM   
mordachai

I'll second the "modding DW:U is FANTASTIC! #1 Amongst the very best moddability I've seen in a game, period."

Call me biased, but when a game has an accessible engine - that doesn't require arcane tools - it speaks volumes about the pragmatism and common-sense of the developer team - closed systems make for fragile, cumbersome, rarely updated games. Open ones like DW:U, Civ IV, Mount & Blade, are a huge boon to gaming as a whole. New things come out of such engines and sometimes spawn new franchises or genres.

Much appreciated.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 3
RE: Tried Stardrive 2 but Distant Worlds Universe is st... - 4/28/2015 4:52:17 PM   
Cauldyth

I just can't go back to the conventional space 4X games, like StarDrive 2. Colonize/conquer a planet, then queue up the build orders for a string of planetary improvements. Nothing's changed in that formula since Civ 1 in 1991 (24 years ago!) and I'm thoroughly bored of it.

And "oh, this planet has a population of 4, 3 of which are farmers and 1 is a scientist." Eh? Way too abstract for me now. In DW, I'll have a planet of 4.6 billion assorted alien races, which generates all sorts of output, which I can amplify with wonders, but I'm not going in there and building "a factory" or "a farm". DW:U feels like I'm simulating running an empire, whereas the old formula makes it feel like I'm playing a very abstract boardgame. And the way DW:U handles the difference between interplanetary and interstellar travel is perfect (though obviously difficult to translate to a turn-based game).

As I said in another thread, DW:U has spoiled me, I can't go back to the old way now. I hope DW points the way for more developers. Even if not, there's always DW2.

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 4
RE: Tried Stardrive 2 but Distant Worlds Universe is st... - 4/28/2015 5:25:50 PM   
mordachai

DW:U is in many ways the fulfillment of a longtime wish in the gaming community.. MOO3 tried... oh, how it tried. But, for many reasons, did not work out well. And I've seen some other attempts at something like this fail miserably - HoI 3 - maybe they finally got it right, but the first many months with it was just not-fun mess to try to play. Talk about fighting the AI.

The more that DW:U is able to let me pick and choose / customize how the automation does it's job / what parts to leave to me - I think DW:U creates a winning combination. The automation has to be built anyway... giving access to it for the player seems to me a win/win, and solves one of the biggest problems with all 4x / strategy games on the PC: scale. Early games are great fun, but inevitably becomes a micromangement hell over time, as the same game mechanics that were designed for the early game fall utterly upon their face later on.

Automation is a must - designing competent / responsive to human control automation is the key. Congrats on leading the way... :D

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 5
RE: Tried Stardrive 2 but Distant Worlds Universe is st... - 4/28/2015 7:57:33 PM   
ASHBERY76

Let's not forget DW1 vanilla was pretty broke way back in release and the UI was a mess.Only after a few expansion did it become great.

The SD2 diplomacy system with the tolerance mechanic is just what DW needed.

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 6
RE: Tried Stardrive 2 but Distant Worlds Universe is st... - 4/30/2015 4:38:21 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

I'll second that motion. I've been playing the daylights out of Stardrive 2, if you like a military focused game it's fun. I consider it a decent game (unlike Stardrive 1) that needs a few expansions and patches to be remotely close to being competitive with Distant Worlds. I'm trying to start modding the Stardrive 2 AI starting with ship designs and it's not easy. I can get the AI to use some of my Cruiser ship designs and that's about it. It makes you appreciate how much was opened up to us ...

Agree it can be fun if you want a quick close shoot out and a very simplistic beer and pretzels game. But even with patches and expansions I do not see it ever coming close to the complexity and epic deep strategy of Distant Worlds Universe! And the map is only 100 stars at most! Pathetic!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 4/30/2015 5:45:19 AM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 7
RE: Tried Stardrive 2 but Distant Worlds Universe is st... - 5/21/2015 7:56:27 PM   
Tanaka

And now after trying Gal Civ III...Distant Worlds is still king!!!

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tried Stardrive 2 but Distant Worlds Universe is still the best Space 4X there is! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI