Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Back to the River...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Back to the River... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Back to the River... - 4/19/2015 7:39:47 PM   
Werewolf13

... and I can't swim out?

Playing the KG Rommel scenario as the Germans. The Bn HQ got caught on the northside of the Weser - which I figured might happen during setup. Wasn't terribly concerned as the unit was considered amphibious with just the staff and a 577 Command PC.

Time came to move to the other side of the river. So I tried to plot a move across the Weser to the south. Get a message that says you can't plot a land unit to move across water.

Guess that 577 isn't amphibious after all - or - I'm missing something.

One wonders what the deal is?

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Post #: 1
RE: Back to the River... - 4/19/2015 11:20:44 PM   
CapnDarwin

Amphibious movement across major rivers is bugged. That was mentioned in another thread. It is an issue with the plotting and AI routines. It is related to the same bug that will plot a move around a crossing location instead of going straight across. We have this on the list of items to address with the Southern Storm game engine since it is a deep AI problem and will need a major revamp of code and also orders to make it work better down the road. Sorry for the confusion with the mechanic.

Work on Southern Storm continues as we squish bugs and work on features.

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 2
RE: Back to the River... - 4/20/2015 2:18:25 AM   
Werewolf13

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Amphibious movement across major rivers is bugged. That was mentioned in another thread. It is an issue with the plotting and AI routines. It is related to the same bug that will plot a move around a crossing location instead of going straight across. We have this on the list of items to address with the Southern Storm game engine since it is a deep AI problem and will need a major revamp of code and also orders to make it work better down the road. Sorry for the confusion with the mechanic.

Hmmmm...

That probably explains why the Soviets sat at the unguarded VP west bridge and never moved across it.

Pretty major bug I'd say - especially since the whole point of the scenario is for the soviets to capture the Weser bridges.

< Message edited by Werewolf1326 -- 4/20/2015 8:20:13 PM >

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Back to the River... - 4/21/2015 2:36:11 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326

Hmmmm...

That probably explains why the Soviets sat at the unguarded VP west bridge and never moved across it.

I don't understand this comment.

quote:

Pretty major bug I'd say - especially since the whole point of the scenario is for the soviets to capture the Weser bridges.

Amphibious operations were never intended to cross major rivers. Amphibious units in all the militaries at that time and all those to my knowledge currently do amphibious operations in either calm or slow moving waters. They have mobile assault bridges, assault rafts, girder bridges, etc. for crossing major rivers. That's exactly why the objective in this scenario is to take those bridges over the Weser River. It's not easy to get across without them.

Amphibious operations in FPC at this point represent quick amphibious prepartion over a small body of relatively calm water. That could include engineering assets like AVLB's, MAB rafts, or fording. It does not include assets that would take hours to install like Bailey or Ribbon bridging assets.

We are still discussing whether or not those are even realistic at this level.

So Commander, go take those bridges and cross the river now or wait until they bring up the engineering assets and you can cross them tomorrow.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Back to the River... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI