Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on accessing a Ruin

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question on accessing a Ruin Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on accessing a Ruin - 4/8/2015 10:29:47 PM   
Uncle Lumpy

Hi,
One of my explorers located the Nexus of the Red Claw on an Ice planet. Neither it nor the cruiser I sent will actually "discover" the ruin "buried under the ice." Does this mean I have to research and complete Ice Colonization before I can access the ruin? Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Question on accessing a Ruin - 4/9/2015 12:10:46 AM   
Aeson

You do not need to have the colonization technology for a world before you can explore ruins on its surface.

I would suggest that you try grabbing a ship and using cntrl-right click on the world with the nexus, as sometimes an "investigate" option will pop up in the menu (you may need to have visibility on the ruin in order to do this, and the ship might need to be an exploration ship, I'm not entirely sure; I don't know what triggers that option to show in the menu). Alternatively, grab a ship and give it move orders to the location, let it go there, and if the event doesn't trigger by the time the ship stops at the planet hosting the ruin send the ship away and bring it back again.

(in reply to Uncle Lumpy)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on accessing a Ruin - 4/9/2015 12:38:36 PM   
Uncle Lumpy

Thank you for responding Aeson. I have tried already tried all of your suggestions. Which is why I'm not sure what to do next. Right now I have a small fleet parked over the planet till I figure out what to do.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on accessing a Ruin - 4/10/2015 3:20:54 AM   
CyclopsSlayer

Is it because you weren't the first there? ie. Did you get a 'The ruins are silent' type message?

Post #: 4
RE: Question on accessing a Ruin - 4/10/2015 5:18:37 AM   
Shark7

If someone got there before your did, you'll likely get a 'ruins are silent' message.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 5
RE: Question on accessing a Ruin - 4/10/2015 10:13:49 PM   
Uncle Lumpy

I thought I was there first, but in light of the information provided by CyclopsSlayer and Shark7, I guess not. Thank you for the enlightenment. I hope one of my "friends" found the death ray and not one of the bugs.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 6
RE: Question on accessing a Ruin - 4/10/2015 11:59:31 PM   
Aeson

You can use an intelligence agent to check, if you have contact with all the empires that might reasonably have reached the area (or, preferably, all the empires in the game, just in case there's an empire that for some reason sent an explorer to the other side of the galaxy early or is more advanced than you thought or something like that). Go to the characters screen, select the agent, set him to Steal Research, and work through the list of targets looking for Super Beam Weapons; it lacks prerequisites, so it'll show up in the list of technologies you can steal regardless of the relative standing of your technology and your opponent's technology if you don't already have it, and you don't need to be on good terms with the empire in order to see it (unlike with tech trading). You also don't need to actually send the agent out on any missions to do this.

Post #: 7
RE: Question on accessing a Ruin - 4/11/2015 5:43:37 PM   
Uncle Lumpy

Thanks Aeson, That's a great idea! I've been using a variation to locate Pirate bases. I "assign" an agent to destroy pirate bases. Then I note all of the bases listed and see if I can locate them in the galaxy. If I do find one, then I can send a fleet after it. Sometimes it takes a while for any bases to be listed, and most times I am unable to actually locate the system the base is in (it is a big galaxy). So far I'm at about 25% success with this approach. I will try your suggestion an see if I can find out who has what.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 8
RE: Question on accessing a Ruin - 4/11/2015 7:59:44 PM   
Spidey

If you want to hunt pirates then try putting long range scanners on your mining stations. That will form a bubble of active scanning around your part of space. Then simply work on expanding that bubble, slowly and methodically, while making sure that nothing exists inside it that you don't like. And if that's not fast enough then fitting long range scanners onto exploration ships us also an option.

Post #: 9
RE: Question on accessing a Ruin - 4/11/2015 9:50:08 PM   
Uncle Lumpy

Thank you Spidey. Already have them on my Explorers. Probably a good idea to include them on the mining stations, too.

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 10
RE: Question on accessing a Ruin - 4/26/2015 7:57:56 PM   
Uncle Lumpy

As Aeson suggested above, I have attempted to search for the empire with the Death Ray from the Red Claw ruin. Now in late game I still am unable to locate it. Nor has any other empire deployed or used it in combat. I have had the Super Area weapon for most of the game and have decided not to employ it (doing well enough so far). Even though I have the technology (it's listed in the possible components list of my ship building screen), it does not show up as a technology I can sell through the negotiations screen. Is this because I have not actually placed the weapon into "production?" And if so, is that a possible reason (the empire with the Death Ray for what ever reason has also decided not to use it), so I cannot locate it in anyone's technology to steal?

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question on accessing a Ruin Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI