Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Noob Question: Brother vs Brother

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Noob Question: Brother vs Brother Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Noob Question: Brother vs Brother - 3/14/2015 1:01:22 AM   
Quetzal

G'day! I'm afraid I'm having a hell of a time with the scenario Brother vs Brother. Although I'm new to CMNAO, I played Harpoon for a decade so I'm relatively familiar with the basics of platforms, systems, etc. I've tried this scenario 4 times, with an epic fail each time. My two biggest problems seem to be 1) the AAW environment. My Kfir C.7s simply can't hold their own against F-16As and SU-30s; and 2) finding the rebel base.

So my questions:

1. What tactics should I use to give my Kfirs more survivability? I've tried hiding under the cloud layer, coming in at high altitude with radars on and off, sneaking next to the hills and popping up at the last minute, multiple groups of from 2 to 4 ships on different axes, even sending a singleton in first fast and stoopid to try and "dangle my coat" and ambush whoever jumps him. I'm still getting clobbered. My best "score" so far is 8 Venezuelans (5xF-16 and 3xSu-30) to 7 Columbian Kfirs. Not good. Without any ECM, the Kfirs simply get slaughtered by the SU-30's, and since Kfirs seem to maneuver like they were trapped in mud, I can't seem get a rear end shot on a F-16 very often, either. If anyone who has won this asymmetrical tech imbalance airwar could give me some pointers, I'd be eternally grateful.

2. Where's the stoopid rebel base? I checked the editor, and it looks like my SF company walked right through the middle of it without noticing. Maybe they were drunk, or something. Is there a trick to getting them to actually see the rebels, or is it a time variable, or did I do something extraordinarily (for anyone but me) stoopid? Thanks for tips.

The rest of the scenario was pretty straight forward: sank the sub, sank one of the Venezuelan surface ships, sank two whales, etc.

Appreciate the help!
Post #: 1
RE: Noob Question: Brother vs Brother - 3/19/2015 4:04:45 PM   
gord96

Hehe. I just got into this game to and came to the forum to ask the exact same question. My Kfir C.7s get wiped out usually before they even get off a shot. They seem very slow and unable to respond to Venezuela's fighters. Any help would be appreciated! :)

(in reply to Quetzal)
Post #: 2
RE: Noob Question: Brother vs Brother - 4/2/2015 12:22:27 AM   
ljdramone

The answer is don't try to fight the Venezuelan air force -- use (and maybe sacrifice) the Kfirs to keep them busy only when your OV-10s are about to attack the rebel camp. Venezuelan Su-30s can use IRST and AA-12 Adder missiles to nail you from something like 50 miles away.

Make sure you have "Special Messages" turned on in Game Options->Message Log. The Colombian Army lands special forces near the border after the start of the scenario, and you get a message that includes intel about a possible location for the rebel camp.

I found the rebels by sending the two ready Kfir C.2s to the reference points near the border to conduct a visual low altitude search, spiraling out from the center. After the special forces landed, I shifted the spiral search to the HUMINT location. The fighters spotted a ground unit just before the rebels betrayed their location by downing one Kfir with a Mistral shoulder-fired missile.

The Colombian special forces were about 16 nm south of the rebel camp, so I ordered them to move north to gain contact with the rebels. By the time they got into position to attack, the OV-10s would be ready to strike.

I planned the strike for 1700Z:

1) Six OV-10s fly at low altitude to the rebel camp, using the mountains along the border for cover.
2) Nine Kfir C.2 in flights of 3 fly to push points west of the mountains, staying low. When the OV-10s were about 20 nm out, Kfirs pop up to high altitude, turn on their radars, and head east at military power.

The Colombian special forces moved faster than I thought, spotting rebel units at 1515. By 1545 they were in range, and had killed 3 Mistral platoons with machine gun fire.

My strike plan worked pretty well. Between 1700 and 1710 the OV-10s wiped out the rebel ground units with rockets. Two Venezuelan Su-30s and one F-16 were patrolling the border area. The Su-30s fired their AA-12s at long range and headed home, nailing one Kfir. The F-16 was sandwiched between two flights of Kfirs and shot down with a Python.

Got a special message at 1710 saying the surviving rebels had surrendered, and the Colombian government had ordered air and naval units to stand down.

(in reply to gord96)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Noob Question: Brother vs Brother Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI