Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RA and Stock AE on the same computer (Pillager welcome)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RA and Stock AE on the same computer (Pillager welcome) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RA and Stock AE on the same computer (Pillager welcome) - 3/1/2015 9:34:15 PM   
wneumann

I’ve been looking at the RA (Reluctant Admiral) mod and noted the mod includes its own (expanded) game map and art files. What I’d expect to happen when installing RA is that the expanded map would replace the stock map (the stock map being eliminated), likewise with the art. The end result being the copy of AE on my computer would play only Reluctant Admiral scenarios and no longer be usable for playing stock scenarios. While I ordinarily would not have an issue with this, I still have a PBEM campaign underway with Jolly Pillager using stock scenario 6 which leads me to this question…

Would a feasible solution to the problem involve having two copies of AE installed on my computer – one copy of AE updated with the RA mod, the second copy still configured to run stock AE. One trick I could see with this is keeping save files matched with the correct version of AE (stock with stock, RA with RA) when handling them outside the SAVE folders within each copy (version) of AE – this not a major issue, I’d come up with methods for handling it.

At the moment, I’m assuming this arrangement is possible and has probably been done at least a few times before. Just getting comments and any pointers I may need to know.

Post #: 1
RE: RA and Stock AE on the same computer (Pillager welc... - 3/1/2015 9:45:43 PM   
RogerJNeilson

Each opponent I have has a different AE install folder. Two are on the newest Beta one is on vanilla AE.

It is simple to operate like this and as long as you remember which save file to use for your specific opponent the only limit ids the size of your hard drive.

When I start a new game with a new opponent I just copy one of the other folders as a stating point, rename it to the new opponent and then modify the data, maps whatever...... I also copy tracker across to the folder.

Roger

< Message edited by Roger Neilson 3 -- 3/1/2015 10:45:57 PM >

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Currently in 1945 of my sole surviving PBEM which has been running since the game came out.

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 2
RE: RA and Stock AE on the same computer (Pillager welc... - 3/2/2015 12:46:41 AM   
John 3rd

I just bumped a 'how to' up to the front of the War Room. Walks you through the whole installing a second game process. Let me know if you need more help.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 3
RE: RA and Stock AE on the same computer (Pillager welc... - 3/6/2015 12:52:07 PM   
btd64

I have 4 seperate installs on my system at the moment. Three for PBEM and one for me to screw around with.....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4
RE: RA and Stock AE on the same computer (Pillager welc... - 3/6/2015 12:55:46 PM   
Mundy

I tend to use the separate installs just to keep the log files straight.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RA and Stock AE on the same computer (Pillager welcome) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI