First, let me say that this is a fantastic mod Osito, it fits the way I play very closely. I especially like the excluded techs by race. There were a few things that bothered me about it though so I decided to fix them. I thought people might be interested, so I’ll share!
1. Deneba crystal is a strategic resource in this mod, but its description and icon still showed it as a super luxury so I fixed those. The icon was a quick fix, someone could easily do a better job.
2. Hyper jump initiation times go up to 50s in the mod, but in practice there seems to be a 15s upper limit hard-coded, no matter what the settings are for the component. So I adjusted all the times to keep the balance between drives, but with 15s as the longest.
3. To make prewarp more interesting I adjusted the costs of early hyperdrive techs (and lowered the speed of the first from 1250 to 1000) so that the first one is cheap, but the next few are pricey, allowing easy access to your own system and maybe very nearby systems. This works really well for games that I like to play that are sparse (250 stars, 15x15), I’m not sure if it would work for a very dense galaxy. I also hope (speculatively) that this might help the AI for prewarp to get a strong home system setup.
4. As a physicist, it really bothered me that the highest-end fusion drive used helium as a fuel source instead of hydrogen, helium fusion produces less energy than hydrogen fusion! So I changed it to hydrogen. Also, from a gameplay perspective, it is nicer to have fewer fuels to worry about for resupply ships as they always take onboard all fuels available when deployed at a source.
5. The mining techs went above the caps for resource extraction, which are 10/40, so I adjusted those techs.
6. Reactive armour was a side tech in the armour line, while gravity armour as the ultimate armour had a much lower reactive rating and I suspect would be less effective at that stage of the game, so I adjusted the armour line slightly.
7. By far the most time consuming adjustment! It bothered me in the ship designer that “Show only latest” wasn’t working for this mod. I realized that it had to do with the way techs were excluded from races; using the “Allowed Races” flag in the research file makes the game treat it as a special racial tech, and the designer always shows racial techs alongside mainline techs. I changed the way this was done for components, removing the “Allowed Races” line from any component-related techs, and adding “DisallowedComponentIds” to all the race files where appropriate. This also had the added benefit of making the race selection screen much much easier to parse.
I have (I think) included a zip file containing only those files that I changed, you should overwrite the files from Research Unleashed that are already there.