Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 72 VP: -617 Axis Victory Resigned

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 72 VP: -617 Axis Victory Resigned Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 72 VP: -617 Axis Victory Resigned - 2/19/2015 12:57:14 PM   
Peltonx

Turn 12 VP’s this turn: -14 Total: -93
Troop ships lost: 92 Cargo: 290

Invasion Brittany (turn11) and early which seems to be the new fade as invading Italy seems a waste of time and VP’s.

1st and 19th Armys rush north to contain the invasion. 10th Army is left behind to defend Italy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Pelton -- 10/11/2015 12:51:20 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Post #: 1
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 2/19/2015 1:00:21 PM   
Peltonx

Turn 13 VP’s this turn: -19 Total: -122
Troop ships lost: 104 Cargo: 310

The 2 small ports are lost. 1st Army opens the pocket and 2 divisions make it back.
The line is solid, but the main goal now is to hold both of the large ports for as long as possible.
The LW is busy sinking ships.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 2
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 2/19/2015 1:03:14 PM   
Peltonx

Turn 14 VP’s this turn: -20 Total: -142
Troop ships lost: 128 Cargo: 333

The pocket is reopened and another divisions gets out.

It seems that all of the WA air force is fling over the combat area.

I am very carefull not to move anything and depots are close to the front.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 3
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 2/19/2015 1:09:43 PM   
Peltonx

Turn 17 VP’s this turn: -12 Total: -191
Troop ships lost: 150 Cargo: 417

Nothing has really changed other then the weather is very poor,
which has let replacement get to the front and a 2nd line of forts are being built.

Because the WA's had all their air force here Germany is getting -12 VP's per turn from subs.

The line is solid so units are being taken off line and being moved north along the coast and new divisions are being sent to Italy.

Germany needs to hold the lines for about 8 turns and then things should start looking better along the France coast and Italy.

I am not sure how long the ports can hold out, but the longer the better another 4 turns would be great.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 4
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 2/19/2015 1:32:21 PM   
LiquidSky

Hmm...he has a lot more space then I do, but less ports. Not sure if I like the idea of invading of Brittany. Although it is harder to hem him in.

Did he at least take Sicily?

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 5
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 2/19/2015 2:45:28 PM   
marion61

I chose Brittany for a number of reasons, which outweighed invading closer to Germany. My overall plan is different, and a level six, five, two, and one port will easily supply an offensive when it's time. With the weather coming in now, there won't be a lot of attacks till snow hits probably, and by then those ports will be full of supply. Plus I have tank country, and a lot of it is open without a major river before Paris. It has it's drawbacks, but I was thinking end game when I chose Brittany, not just getting ashore.

I'd taken Sardinia several turns ago, and I had just invaded Corsica when the Italians surrendered last turn, which surprised me. I didn't know that you had to have so many cv in Italy to keep them from having a surrender check. Italy looks wide open, and don't think I'm not headed there lol. I left some divisions in the Med.

I rested several AF's this turn, so his supplies flowed again. Typhoons not only rip up tanks, but they are great at railway interdiction. Tactical bombers can generate numbers consistently over 30k in a hex, and sometimes 100k plus. Normally between 30k to 60k. Not going to let him have supply if I can help it, and it locked the area around the beaches down and allowed me to cut off the peninsula in three turns. Those damned divisions at Vannes just had no support units, and kept letting a division slip out each turn. I have about 4 divisions trapped, and although they can leave by sea, they'll pay the price since I'm interdicting the port I'm currently taking.

Pelton's done a good job containing me, and surprised me that he opened that hole two turns in a row. Once I got some su's in them, they started to hold. I'm sure he sees my shiny new forts behind the line. Can't have him trying to break thru and my men need somewhere to get out of the rain.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 6
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 2/28/2015 1:09:50 PM   
Peltonx

Turn 21 VP’s this turn: 3 Total: -203
Troop ships lost: 159 Cargo: 528
After some quiet turns the WA’s are desperately trying to breakout. LXXVI Panzer Corp held vs 4 attacks and LXXXVI Corp held vs 2 attacks. The cost was 21,000 men.
The LW was busy bombing ST. Milo for 87%. The LW will try and put another port out of action next turn.
Along the coast starting in Denmark and working south Fortress Europe is slowing being put together.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 7
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 2/28/2015 1:11:12 PM   
Peltonx

Turn 22 VP’s this turn: -22 Total: -225
Troop ships lost: 163 Cargo: 557

The weather is very poor and no assaults are made vs The Brittany Line. OKW keeps putting the new units along the coast.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 8
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 2/28/2015 1:12:52 PM   
Peltonx

Turn 24 VP’s this turn: 3 Total: -223
Troop ships lost: 167 Cargo: 638

3 large offensives on the Brittany line and one punches a hole in the lines. XIV Panzer Corp plugs the hole. The cost was 28,000 KIA. The LW has been bombing the ports and has them all below 50% or more now I am hoping this slows things down some?

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 9
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 3/7/2015 5:25:32 PM   
Peltonx

Turn 27-35 VP’s this turn: - 3 Total: -329
Troop ships lost: 174 Cargo: 770

Lost a hex turn 26, but lines are stable.

The weather the last 8 turns has be very poor/poor.

The LW been busy bombing all the ports under WA control with long range bombers and Stukas, all have 50-90% damage.

The Wehrmacht has been garrisoning the coast line in Northern France and Italy during the last 8 turns and defenses are at least not weak. Hopefully before spring at least the Northern France defenses will be strong.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 10
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 3/17/2015 10:43:34 PM   
Peltonx

Turn 44 VP’s this turn: - 4 Total: -272

Finally things liven up, WA take one of the front line hexes.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 11
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 3/17/2015 10:44:21 PM   
Peltonx

A major landing in Southern France.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 12
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 3/17/2015 10:46:03 PM   
Peltonx

Turn 45 VP’s this turn: - 13 Total: -285

A few more hexes fall, but the lines seem to be holding just fine.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 13
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 3/17/2015 10:47:26 PM   
Peltonx

Southern France a few more hexes fall but help has arrived.

Italy is Italy no movement.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 14
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 3/17/2015 10:58:02 PM   
Peltonx

Turn 47 VP’s this turn: - 20 Total: -318

I am using the very same tactics I used on the Russian front as GHC in WitE.

You can not stop the flood all things being equal, but you can direct the flood. As can be seen at least so far
I am able to shift my best units towards the enemys best thrust. Parrying each turns attacks and not letting any
units get pocketed or letting him breakout.

Never attack as that simply causes a manpower crunch.

So far so good but its only May.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 15
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 - 3/17/2015 11:00:21 PM   
Peltonx

The south is under control I only need to control
this area while he losses VP's same goes for Italy.

As long as you control the fighting your winning the VP battle.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 16
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 53 VP: -396 - 3/29/2015 3:30:31 PM   
Peltonx

The Brittany line is bending, but has not broken yet.

The 10th and 140th Infantry Divisions are cut off and give their all for Germany.

They did not die in vain as this helped prevent a breakout and gave more time for the lines to reform.

I am tring to keep the lines at least 2 deep.

WA's will push the line at some pt, but as Germany you can hold where ever you want just not every place.

So like WitE hold the shortest line to Berlin and make WA's take the long road. Next to nothing for VP's in Southern France so let them push that first building VP's on dead GI's

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 17
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 53 VP: -396 - 3/29/2015 3:32:56 PM   
Peltonx

In Southern France WA's are slowly pushing north at a very high cost.

As Germany you simply need to control the advance.

The LW at this time as disbanded everything but fighter formations and are spread around Germany.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 18
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 53 VP: -396 - 4/2/2015 9:25:21 PM   
Peltonx

WA's gain a few more hexes at a cost and the German lines are reformed again 2 deep.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 19
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 53 VP: -396 - 4/2/2015 9:33:49 PM   
Peltonx

On the Southern France front the Italian side of the Allied invasion is starting to run out of steam and the same goes for the push north.

Again I am tring to hold the shortest route to Paris, Rome and Berlin.

The Brittany Front I am holding the water from flowing east and forcing it to flow south and on the Southern France Front I have built the dams to the east and north letting it flow west.

Same tactics I used playing War in the East.

turns vs hexes to Berlin.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 20
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 53 VP: -396 - 4/15/2015 9:28:35 AM   
Peltonx

The great retreat begins.

47 turns left, now its all hexes to Berlin and turns to Berlin.

I just need to trade space for VP's, hopefully I have enough in the bank.

WAs land in Holland, but I have 6 strong PDs near by.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 21
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 53 VP: -396 - 4/15/2015 9:30:28 AM   
Peltonx

We start with drawing on the Brittany Front, the key is not letting to many divisions get pocketed as with WitE.

I would like to have a front that's 3-4 hexes deep when I get to Germany so I cant lose many divisions

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 22
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 53 VP: -396 - 4/15/2015 9:30:57 AM   
Peltonx

South

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 23
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 63 VP: -594 - 4/15/2015 9:33:13 AM   
Peltonx

So far so good. I should have a line 2 deep built before I get close to Germany + my 2 deep front line.

I also have a good buffer of VP's

Forgot to take a picture, but in Holland I was able to route a few stacks of units. I hold the ports so the invasion has become a prison camp.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Pelton -- 4/15/2015 10:34:47 AM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 24
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 63 VP: -594 - 4/15/2015 11:04:53 PM   
marion61

Yes, my invasion was a mistake. I should have retargeted when I saw those forts, and when I bounced off one invading I should have pulled out, but that's life. Live and learn. Another thing is that I was strapped for troops trying to put it together and maintain an offensive in France. That's why most of it was made up of regiments and brigades. 9th Army just started coming in, and if I'd held off till they had arrived I probably would have had better luck. I really had no reserves to follow up with, and it was just an all around bad decision.

I've learned a few things this game, so next time it won't be so easy.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 25
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 63 VP: -594 - 4/16/2015 2:08:00 AM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: meklore61

Yes, my invasion was a mistake. I should have retargeted when I saw those forts, and when I bounced off one invading I should have pulled out, but that's life. Live and learn. Another thing is that I was strapped for troops trying to put it together and maintain an offensive in France. That's why most of it was made up of regiments and brigades. 9th Army just started coming in, and if I'd held off till they had arrived I probably would have had better luck. I really had no reserves to follow up with, and it was just an all around bad decision.

I've learned a few things this game, so next time it won't be so easy.

Alls you got is you will not be so easy next time?

You can do better then that.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 26
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 63 VP: -612 - 4/16/2015 2:29:41 PM   
Peltonx

Big Picture.

10th Army in Northern Italy has pulled back to the Alps and have received 4 fresh infantry and 2 MT divisions.
Several lines are being dug.

On the Holland front most of the WA's have left the beaches, 14th Army will keep all its divisions in Holland.
The SS Panzer Corp has been moved back into reserve for rest/refit 50 miles to south west.

1st Army is tring to hold Paris for as long as possible.

Across the rest of the Western Front a general pull back of 10-20 miles per week is still the general rule until those units reach the stop line.

Only 33 turns are left.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 27
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 63 VP: -594 - 4/16/2015 3:25:34 PM   
marion61

How about, next game I'll let my actions speak for me?

It's been a good game, you handled the situations I threw at you well, and maintained your lines without losing too many men.

Overall I think that skipping Italy was a mistake on my part. I should have taken Rome in 43 so I'd be getting more city points. Not taking those cities in Italy hurt my score a bit. The good thing about Italy is not having to take it while losing massive casualties. Casualties have been light as neither of us committed much to this area.

Invading from England in 43, is not really all it's cracked up to be either. It can be easily done, but unless you land close you probably won't get a good break out. Allies really don't have enough units for open field fighting in France in 43. Once I'd gotton onto Brittany, I was running out of troops, just to maintain the lines from all those high CV Panzer units. Hell, I even built forts behind my lines!

Once I'd managed to start breaking out of Brittany things have eased up, but my Canadian and British manpower is about dry. I'm going to have to disband some units soon as those units are the best I have. I've disbanded most of the light flak units, and soon I'll probably disband a HQ or two since I have plenty of US hq's still sitting around.

On the air front, I'm still trying to find the happy balance between bombing points, and ground attacks. I'm losing 10-20 points a turn (from not taking Italy I lost alot of city points a turn), but as I take cities, it's getting better.

One thing I can say for Brittany now and Normady is, that once you start to break out into that clear terrain, the axis casualties from interdiction go up significantly. According to my battle reports, FOW on, he's lost in the neighborhood of 300k troops in the past 6-7 turns. Most of that was retreating thru my interdiction and retreat interdiction from attacks. The bad thing about Brittany is that it's so far away, and it takes a few turns to really get a good break out. The first few times I attacked the wall at Brittany, I had every unit on the front in reserve mode. One attack went in with over 200k men attacking at Rennes. I've only managed to pocket about 4 divisions since I broke out, so he's retreating very well. I'm just making it expensive to withdraw thru the interdiction.

My game with Qball has really helped me with this game. I hadn't really had to use my ground forces much before that game, and I wasn't very proficient with them. I've learned how to reorganize them, not push them and make too many hasty attacks, and how to manage my reserves. Also it's a matter of focusing in just a few area's or one area, to achieve your goal, then put them back on refit for the next advance. I know when we get to Pelton's next stop point it's going to be tough.

My main strategic blunder was when I shifted too many armored units from Brittany to assist in the invasion of Southern France. I thought getting out of Southern France, I would need those armored units. That wasn't really necessary, and I left the Brittany front a little short of armor. Hind sight's 20/20, but now that I've connected the two fronts, I can shift the armored units anywhere I want.

Invading in several places is really not that great a strategy. The allies only have so many units, and in order to achieve a breakout you have to have enough units to get it done. Three fronts was all I could really handle, with Italy having a skeleton crew, the invasion in the Neatherlands was just doomed no matter what. Against what he had there, there's no way I'd broken out of that mess with the few divisions I had. Allies just don't have enough units for all that real estate.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings! Or the VP's sing, however you want to look at it.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 28
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 63 VP: -594 - 4/16/2015 10:46:13 PM   
carlkay58

Brittany as an invasion site is really only good if the Western Allies have captured the Channel Islands. The airbases there are great as staging bases along with making great fighter bases. Without them the distance is just a tad too far for good air coverage and air coordination.

Normandy has that darn bocage and all of the historical baggage that goes with it. But it is a peninsula with a good port (Cherbourg) and is good defensive terrain vs those pesky Panzer Corps.

The problem with the rest of France is there are no natural flanks and it is hard to get some depth to allow a build up for a breakout.

Invasions have to be concentrated and well planned. Yes the Allies can make a few small invasions here and there, but unless you have some major ground forces able to get to them and help out they will go nowhere and become POW camps.

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 29
RE: Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 63 VP: -594 - 4/16/2015 11:39:35 PM   
LiquidSky

The Channel Islands are awesome for much more then Brittany. You can paradrop within 8 hexes of a supplied unit/(hex?). You can completely isolate the Cotentin peninsula with para brigades on the turn you hit the 'invade' button for Normandy.

And all, that lovely bocage will protect your units from the German Panzers until you have sufficient strength to break out.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 72 VP: -617 Axis Victory Resigned Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI