From: Southern Pennsylvania
I have many questions concerning the Editor, and hopefully someone in the know can help with these:
1. I've attempted over the past month to change unit names in the 1943-45 Campaign to more nationality-specific form (for instance, rendering a German unit as 352. Infanterie-Div rather than '352nd Infantry Division', or 1 'Superga' Div Fanteria as opposed to '1st 'Superga' Ital Infantry Division. (I've been doing the same things for the Allies).
2. I understand that to do so, I have to rename the OOB/TOE entries, making sure internal data is locked, also being sure I'm using the right unit sizes rather than 'default', and make sure the entire scenario is named properly, so it won't overwrite one that comes with the game.
3. This works fine within the editor, but in most cases when testing, the modded scenario appears to lose all AI scripting (not all the time at first, but it seems to eventually), and generating a new script for it never seems to work either. In other cases, sometimes the scenario data appears to get scrambled, where for instance, the Allies lose all shipping points, and never can invade anywhere even under complete human control.
4. The problem in point 3 normally appears when I create and use a custom OOB/TOE for a particular unit, and then either modify an existing unit in the list, or add a completely new unit that uses the new entry to the list.
5. The questions I have are: (1) Should existing OOB/TOE's never be edited, and only brand new ones created instead? (2) Can a new OOB/TOE be added to the database anywhere in the open slots available, or are some slots reserved so that they can never be used, or are some Nation-specific only? (3) Also, when adding to the unit list for a scenario, do these slots also have forbidden areas as asked above?
6. Finally, am I 'breaking' the scenario by using a mixture of German, Italian, French, English, etc terms and abbreviations, when the Editor is only intended for use in English, while typing in entries?
Last question: If I was to create an air-only 1943-45 scenario to simulate the Strategic Bombing War, is it possible to create for the USAAF, Bomb Division HQ's and for the RAF, Group HQ's? Assuming it is, will escort fighters need to be assigned directly to a particular HQ, or if I were to create VIII Fighter Command, would it be able to escort bombers belonging to say 1st Bomb Division, if they both report to 8th AF? Also, try as I might, I can't seem to discover how to set victory conditions for an air campaign.
I know this is a long list of questions, but I really hope someone can help. If I'm going into areas that for expansion purposes have been locked out, I'll understand.
Many thanks for taking time to read this.