Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Q] Air to Air Gunnery - Deflection Modifier?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> Tech Support >> [Q] Air to Air Gunnery - Deflection Modifier? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Q] Air to Air Gunnery - Deflection Modifier? - 1/14/2015 12:43:46 PM   
Primarchx

Just wondering if there are any deflection, speed or range of shot modifiers to air to air gunnery?

< Message edited by Sunburn -- 1/15/2015 7:53:21 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Air to Air Gunnery - Deflection Modifier? - 1/14/2015 2:11:14 PM   
Dimitris

They are coming in v1.07.

From the B638 release notes:
quote:

* Thoroughly revised mechanics for the endgame of AAW weapons against aircraft:

a) Speed is life: Most AAW weapons are optimized for engaging highly-subsonic (500-600 kts) targets since this is by far the most common flight regime in the jet age. Target aircraft at lower speed, and especially at higher speed, are proportionally more difficult to engage both for guns and guided weapons. The degradation depends on the maximum target speed of the AAW weapon (listed on the DB viewer); for example a SAM with a 1500-kts max target speed will be severely degraded against a 1200-knot target while a missile with a 5000-kt max target speed will barely notice the difference. This makes high-speed aircraft like the SR-71 and MiG-25R (and UAVs like the D-21 and Tu-123) very tough targets even if the intercept geometry is achieved, which is consistent with RL reports.

This also means that an aircraft evading a missile (and having its speed reduced as a result of the manouver) will, for at least a few seconds, have reduced ability to dodge subsequent attacks until it accelerates again to higher speed. This means that oft-quoted real combat examples like the "Kosovo Slammer Dodger" (the Serbian MiG-29 that evaded 3 AMRAAMs before finally succumbing to the fourth, probably because it was close to stall speed by then) are actually now reproducible in the sim. So ripple-fire those AAMs/SAMs!

b) The evasion bonus must now be earned: Until now all aircraft got their full evasion bonus (as long as they detected the incoming weapon) regardless of their actual geometry at the time of impact. This allowed players to "cheat" by disabling auto-evasion on an aircraft, heading stright down their target (or enemy shooter) and still get the full evasion modifier. Now however, the projected impact angle is critical: High-deflection ("crossing target") impacts maximize the agility effect, while head-on (less so) and tail-on (severely more so) impacts significantly reduce the actual evasion modifier (with further variations for forward-oblique and rear-oblique geometries). So now it often comes down to "beam or die", as in known RL engagements.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 2
RE: Air to Air Gunnery - Deflection Modifier? - 1/14/2015 2:52:30 PM   
Primarchx

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 3
RE: Air to Air Gunnery - Deflection Modifier? - 1/18/2015 3:58:59 PM   
Grondoval

....speechless, simply amazing what amount of high grade features you add on a update-2-update-basis ... didnt even had this one on my radar screen at all.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 4
RE: Air to Air Gunnery - Deflection Modifier? - 1/20/2015 11:09:29 AM   
jarraya

Amazing level of detail!

(in reply to Grondoval)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> Tech Support >> [Q] Air to Air Gunnery - Deflection Modifier? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI