Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Updating DBB versions during a game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Updating DBB versions during a game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Updating DBB versions during a game - 1/12/2015 5:52:30 PM   
apbarog

I'm in a PBEM game using DBB-B with extended maps and stacking limits. We started our game using DBB-B version 13. If one player upgrades to DBB-B version 14 during the game, does this make any difference? It is my understanding that the version matters at game start, and that the data is set in the saved game file after that. I do know that we both still have the same versions of the map files.

If this is an issue, is it remedied by both players upgrading to the same version?

We've continued play with one side having version 13 and the other having version 14, and haven't seen any side effects, other than getting a message that the database was updated on the first turn after the update was done.
Post #: 1
RE: Updating DBB versions during a game - 1/13/2015 2:18:54 AM   
geofflambert

Aside from possibly of ingenious ways of cheating due to some advantage gained by one side over the other, I don't think it is advisable and even if it would work without crashing the game, I wouldn't do it.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2
RE: Updating DBB versions during a game - 1/13/2015 2:58:07 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: apbarog
I'm in a PBEM game using DBB-B with extended maps and stacking limits. We started our game using DBB-B version 13. If one player upgrades to DBB-B version 14 during the game, does this make any difference? It is my understanding that the version matters at game start, and that the data is set in the saved game file after that. I do know that we both still have the same versions of the map files.

If this is an issue, is it remedied by both players upgrading to the same version?

We've continued play with one side having version 13 and the other having version 14, and haven't seen any side effects, other than getting a message that the database was updated on the first turn after the update was done.

It does make a difference. Some of the updates are data error fixes (benign), some are substantive changes to data. At times, different substantive scenario data sets can make the game go unstable (maybe not today, or maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life). It is mandatory that both players use the same revision version of a scenario (whether Babes, or RA, or Stock, or whatever).

If one player updates to a newer version, the other must do so as well. Talk to your opponent before doing this, get their agreement, and do it simultaneously. Otherwise Baron Samedi will rise, and Le Bon Temps will definitely not Rouler.

< Message edited by Symon -- 1/13/2015 4:06:26 PM >

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 3
RE: Updating DBB versions during a game - 1/13/2015 5:38:19 PM   
apbarog

Thank you Symon. We will roll back our game a few turns to before his upgrade, and both continue using version 13. Thank you for your response and your many years of work on improving the game.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Updating DBB versions during a game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI