Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Research costs??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Research costs?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Research costs?? - 12/26/2014 8:27:24 PM   
aaatoysandmore

If I adjust the research costs to like 1000 in that lil box to the right where I'm setting up the game will all the AI races have to abide by that number or is it just for me??
Post #: 1
RE: Research costs?? - 12/27/2014 6:22:13 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

If I adjust the research costs to like 1000 in that lil box to the right where I'm setting up the game will all the AI races have to abide by that number or is it just for me??

It will be for every players and AIs too. I got mine on 480k or very expensive so I can play mega galaxy map. 1400 systems in 15 grids is fun to explore.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 2
RE: Research costs?? - 12/28/2014 10:08:29 AM   
aaatoysandmore

I setup a game with prewarp and 500 in that box and I couldn't believe how long it took to finally leave my system. I expected the ai to be all over the map but sady when I found the ai it only had 1-3 colonies and I had over 20+. Wasn't a very fun game. I guess the only fair game is with everyone starting out at warp. Perhaps everyone but me. I'm gonna try some other setups but I tried your system of 1400 on a 15x15 grid and it just wasn't the game I wanted.

Are there any premade scenario mods where everyone starts out with an equal number of colonies spread out over the galaxy? I'd say like 10 total players and starting with 10 colonies each? The ai seems sad in this game even if their capitals are hard to take the rest of their stuff isn't. This must be one of those games that that guy who did the commentary about ai that worked on civilization what he calls "fun" ai's as it's not suppose to win just give you a backseat challenge. But, for me it's just not fun if it doesn't try to throw me off the board or beat me.

With a "good" (that's what that guy called them) ai this game would have been great. I love the way it can control everything one doesn't want to mess with and let you play with the stuff you do. But, with no real challenging ai (and Pirates in the 1000's when you start prewarp is not a challenging ai it's just a frustrating get in your way ai, overwhelming odds against me is not what I call a challenging ai it's just a handicapped ai with high numbers and no brains).

If only someone could make a "good" ai out of this game. Coming out of prewarp and seeing them with just 1-3 colonies to my 20+ is not what I call "FUN" ai either.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 3
RE: Research costs?? - 12/28/2014 3:59:31 PM   
Rising-Sun

You can set this up easy before launching the game, there is options for random or pick race and choose starting techs and other details. AIs seem to be doing pretty good in my game, almost 100% each game I made. Depending on setup on galaxy, I put very rare habitable planets so there wont be so many. The hard parts is locating and gathering those important strategic resources. So I got 1400x15 with three races plus minors and all start beginning techs, very expensive research cost, distant from me and on spiral galaxy. So I always start on the outer galaxy or on the edge.

Its vary on setup, that why many players aren't happy with it. But be warned on this huge galaxy, it will be long game unless you stop them before they get too strong.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Research costs?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI