Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Some Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some Questions - 12/12/2014 7:55:59 AM   
Michael T

Looking for some info on this game, I have just purchased it. I played the original TOAW many years ago, 1990's IIRC. I am an old FITE/SE boardgamer and I am really trying to find a game of that ilk that I can play on the PC.

So how does TOAWIII rate? In terms of Combat system, logistics and working for long campaign scenario's.

Compared to say WITE?

Also what are the best East Front 41-45 scenario's available? How do they play out? Where can I find them?

And, I recall the reason I stopped playing it was mainly due to turns suddenly ending because one combat went to long and took up all your time/impulses. Has this been addressed?

Thanks for any advice/info

Post #: 1
RE: Some Questions - 12/12/2014 2:22:03 PM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

Looking for some info on this game, I have just purchased it. I played the original TOAW many years ago, 1990's IIRC. I am an old FITE/SE boardgamer and I am really trying to find a game of that ilk that I can play on the PC.

So how does TOAWIII rate? In terms of Combat system, logistics and working for long campaign scenario's.
The logistics are pretty good. Although the player does not have much direct control over them. You just need to not have enemy ZOCs in your way and most of the time you will be fine.

Compared to say WITE?
Not even close lol. The Directive 21 scenario is the best one I have found. However it will take you a LONG time to do a turn and even longer to finish the campaign. Think WitP long

Also what are the best East Front 41-45 scenario's available? How do they play out? Where can I find them?
There are a lot of these in the East Front scenario folder that game with the game. many others can be found in the stickies in this forum.

And, I recall the reason I stopped playing it was mainly due to turns suddenly ending because one combat went to long and took up all your time/impulses. Has this been addressed?
No. Time is represented by your longest action across the entire front. So if a unit is adjacent to an enemy, an attack will not use up a lot of time. Even less if a hasty attack. If a unit moves for a long distance and then attacks then that will use up a lot more time. Hence you will not have as much time to do other actions elsewhere. It is a hard system to get into. Especially from the IGUG school. But it does address the issue of time and space in combat in a better way than other systems.

Thanks for any advice/info

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 2
RE: Some Questions - 12/12/2014 6:13:45 PM   
r6kunz

Michael
Re: the turn ending suddenly. I was having the same problem and frustration. I thought I understood the combat round system, and tried avoiding burning my turn. Then, I finally discovered the Ring of Stars! If any of the Gold Stars are silver, it means your planned combat will exceed the number of combats for that time/impulse. If that is what you wanted to do, fine. But it usually means you tapped an artillery unit than has already moved. It is a clue to go back over your planned combats to cancel the offending battery or whatever. I am embarrassed to say, but it took me years to discover this!
In addition, a designer can limit the number of rounds per combat to, say 3, and thus limit the amount of "turn burn"...

Re: East Front. Pardon a plug, but for someone getting back in the game, I rather like the Road to Moscow series for TOAW. I breaks down Barbarossa into the one or two month phases (10 km, one day, division or mechanized regiments) of Army Group Center...

Good luck and keep checking for comments of others.

< Message edited by HPT KUNZ -- 12/13/2014 12:58:45 AM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 3
RE: Some Questions - 12/12/2014 6:35:59 PM   
Michael T

Thank you guys for your thoughts and info, It is much appreciated. Activity on this forum looks good so that's promising in itself :)

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 4
RE: Some Questions - 12/12/2014 7:23:56 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

TOAW III has a feature called "Max Rounds Per Battle" (called MRPB for short). This allows a designer to limit the number of rounds that a combat can last. But, note that it is a designer feature - so it only applies if the designer has employed it (most older scenarios will not have done so). And note that it doesn't impact rounds being skipped due to the player's use of late units - but that is entirely under the control of the player.

Edit: And I should add that there remains the chance of early turn ending due to a Force Proficiency Check failure. But that's a good thing.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 12/12/2014 8:34:15 PM >

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 5
RE: Some Questions - 12/13/2014 1:03:43 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

Thank you guys for your thoughts and info, It is much appreciated. Activity on this forum looks good so that's promising in itself :)

Some information about how the MRPB and the AD work -

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3045873&mpage=1&key=�

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 6
RE: Some Questions - 12/13/2014 9:27:01 PM   
Michael T

The scenario my opponent and I have chosen has a MRPB of 3 and a FP of 100. So no more turns ending early I think. This is a big improvement IMO over previous versions.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Some Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI