Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Research mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> Research mod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Research mod - 12/4/2014 10:34:26 AM   
JanW

Dear all

I have started creating research mod. At first I wanted to add a bit of diversity to the end game techs just for myself.
I really enjoyed mid part of tech tree with several optional components but was not impressed that all ends up in one super component/tech. First I just started adding similar branches to end game techs with all vanilla ones unchanged but the new ones feel a bit OP when made with same multipliers as the mid game tech junctions.

But I rethink this approach and I consider making the 2-3 techs more balanced. So you would basically have 1 starting tech -> 2 - 4 mid techs all with balanced pros and cons (3 levels of research) -> 2 - 4 end techs scaled from mid tech (3 levels of reserach). No dead end research on obsolete techs or changing components just after one research (except prewarp -> regular techs)

Now it is 1 besic -> 1 better -> 2 - 3 optional (making the previous one obsolete) -> 1 super tech.

I also consider adding some new alternatives instead of just end game duplicity of mid tech but I need to know if you are interested in this mode especially in mod cooperation. I cannot do icons, also AI would be probably broken by this + due to race mods I dont want to mess with racial techs which could be made obsolete by new tech tree. Also I'm not that much creative so help with creating names for researches and components would be great.

It wouldn't be definitely standalone mod but more likely just module that needs support from other sides.
If I release anything feel free to do anything with it - adding to your mods/editing - only mention me in credits.
Post #: 1
RE: Research mod - 12/4/2014 1:20:59 PM   
Blackstork

Good luck. We once intended the megamod together with Icemanias AI mod and Beyond. If you can do it and finish it could be awesome addition to Beyond and form new megamod. I wish you luck and anxious to see what you going to do :)

(in reply to JanW)
Post #: 2
RE: Research mod - 12/4/2014 3:08:47 PM   
Falokis

Research mods must crush souls. We've had several people get 90% done then drop off the face of the earth. I wish you luck and hope you finish it. I've been waiting for one and the megamod for 5 months.

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 3
RE: Research mod - 12/4/2014 4:30:06 PM   
JanW

I'm aware of that I was looking for any existing research mod but found only dead threads. Also I intend to release it with free rights to modify it. But I would really appreciate help with icons for new components (possibly resources) and help with creative texts for new research - so far I limited texts to Advanced/Improved prefix only.

(in reply to Falokis)
Post #: 4
RE: Research mod - 12/4/2014 7:44:30 PM   
Locarnus

@Falokis: Some didnt drop off, but left intentionally in protest, or continue like the Starfall one.

@JanW: The Starfall mod says it includes a new research tree.

DW:U BalanceMod v0.9 (extended TechTree)
compatible with DW:U Extended, StarTrek and XPanded

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3624576

(in reply to JanW)
Post #: 5
RE: Research mod - 12/4/2014 9:36:18 PM   
JanW

I missed that one. I will try it to see how similar or different is his idea of research.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 6
RE: Research mod - 12/10/2014 12:11:51 PM   
msnevil

You can try the research mod I made for myself. I balanced the tech's to my taste, and extended the 2nd tier tech's exp shatterforce laser to lvl 7 tech, and included the super tech's as well. (to add more flavor at the end game.)

Make a new folder in the customization files, (name it whatever you want.), unzip the attachment into that folder, start the game, change the themes to what ever you named the folder.

Notice, I balanced the tech's some what, titan beams, and torpedoes still are the best weapons. The Ai usually uses these, and the AI needs all the help it can get.

Wanted to make a moo Mod, but work tells me "no".

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JanW)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> Research mod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI