Freezing/crashing at random times

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

rustinpeace91

Freezing/crashing at random times

Post by rustinpeace91 »

I don't know exactly what is going on here but basically when I'm playing a scenerio the game just freezes at random times. I can still move the mouse around but it locked in the "pointer" thing. I can't click on any of the units, I can't click on the menus and I can't even close the game without forcing the game to quit via my computer.

This did not happen for the first few days I owned the game, so i thought it might be a result of some of the scenarios I downloaded from rugged defense. So I moved all my scenarios out of the matrix game folder and started the game again. I was able to play for a while without freezing so i thought I had solved the problem but It has started again. It seems to be happening a lot in the Korea 50-51 scenerio I am playing, which is a shame because I really love this scenario so far. This is really annoying. I can just save early/often but even losing an entire turn of moves is pretty obnoxious.
Curtis Lemay

RE: Freezing/crashing at random times

Post by Curtis Lemay »

How long are you waiting before deciding the game has crashed?

What part of the game turn does the freeze occur? (Pre-turn calculations, moving units, changing the map location or scale, while using any dialog, or combat resolution phase).
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

What part of the game turn does the freeze occur? (Pre-turn calculations, moving units, changing the map location or scale, while using any dialog, or combat resolution phase).

What he said.

Sometimes the game is making calculations, swapping graphics from one size to another, loading 'stuff' and other things that might take your machine awhile. If it says 'not responding' then it might be working on something that takes a bit of time. If you click on the screen it will turn kinda white and say not responding on the top of the window. If you are patient it will get done eventually. If eventually is too long then maybe upgrade your cpu or your memory or both. I have a quad core 3700megahertz(oops, that's gigahertz[:D]) with 16gig of memory and I can still get 'not responding' with FitE. But if I wait a couple minutes it does get done with whatever it's doing.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
rustinpeace91

Post by rustinpeace91 »

It does this while I'm selecting units, so nothing is calculating. And I've waited upwards of 10 minutes with no response.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: rustinpeace91

It does this while I'm selecting units, so nothing is calculating. And I've waited upwards of 10 minutes with no response.

One step would be to wait longer, of course (a lot longer). Nevertheless, how are you selecting units? Clicking directly on them with the mouse or via the "Next Unit" button on the Control Panel?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
rustinpeace91

Post by rustinpeace91 »

One step would be to wait longer, of course (a lot longer). Nevertheless, how are you selecting units? Clicking directly on them with the mouse or via the "Next Unit" button on the Control Panel?

Clicking obviously. I emptied out all the saves I wasn't using and it seemed to solve the problem for now at least. I played the rest of the Korean scenerio without a single freeze.

My guess is that it had something to do with some of the scenerios I downloaded. I was using some scenerios designed for TOAWII for TOAW3. I kind of hope that's not the issue though, when I look at user created scenerios most of the ones I want to play are for the older versions of the game. But clearing all those out and their saves did seem to solve the problem
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

When you say "scenarios designed for TOAW II for TOAW3", do you mean that you downloaded some TOAW II scenarios and are trying to run them under TOAW III?

If so, then please note that scenarios designed for older version of TOAW cannot be run under TOAW III without being converted first.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
rustinpeace91

Post by rustinpeace91 »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

When you say "scenarios designed for TOAW II for TOAW3", do you mean that you downloaded some TOAW II scenarios and are trying to run them under TOAW III?

If so, then please note that scenarios designed for older version of TOAW cannot be run under TOAW III without being converted first.

Best wishes,
Steve
That seems to be the issue. I removed all scenerios that were from older games and i haven't had any freezing issues.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Best wishes,
Steve
That seems to be the issue. I removed all scenerios that were from older games and i haven't had any freezing issues.

You have a few options if you want to get them working under TOAW III.

1. Get hold of ACOW (TOAW Century of Warfare from EBay. Load scenario into the editor, save, and then load that into the TOAW III editor and save it again. That will convert it to a TOAW II format. It can be quite expensive. ACOW is selling for £30 to £40 on Ebay last time I looked.

2. Use Martin Goliath's superb Scenario Converter. That will convert any scenario into TOAW III. The link is Scenario Converter on Google Drive.

3. Visit Gamesquad. Register (it's relatively painless). Go to the download area, look for Talonsoft and then The Operational Art of War subsection. Then choose scenarios.

Look for files called "Legacy Project Vol ..." There are currently 42 volumes of older scenarios that have have been converted to TOAW III. Each volume contains roughly 10 scenarios. You will need to check the description of each volume to see which scenario it contains.

4. You could go the Gamesquad forums, look for PC Game Spotlight and The Operational Art of War subforum. In that, look for a thread called Scenario Catalogue. Go to the last page. There you will find a link to the latest Scenario Catalogue. One of the fields on the catalogue's main page details which Legacy Project volume the scenario is in. There is also a page in the catalogue which details the contents of each volume in the order in which they were published and provides a link to the volume stored on Google Drive. You won't need to register with Gamesquad if you choose this route.

Please be aware that these are mechanical conversions to TOAW III and so there will be conversion errors to fix. That applies to whichever option you choose. So some familiarity with the TOAW III editor is required (and recommended anyway even if you do not which to convert older scenarios.)

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

Return to “TOAW III Support”