Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CHRISTMAS SALE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> CHRISTMAS SALE Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/25/2014 4:29:32 PM   
wegman58

Download: $49.99 (normally $79.99)
Boxed: $64.99 (normally $94.99)

If you are a fence sitter.
Post #: 1
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/25/2014 4:41:10 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: wegman58

Nice deal.

The Moose

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 2
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/25/2014 6:53:49 PM   
wegman58

Is War Plan Orange (also on sale) worth it?

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 3
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/26/2014 2:28:00 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

$50 for this monster? Is there a better deal anywhere? That's an amazing opportunity. Anyone even remotely interested in the Pacific War would be remiss to not jump all over this deal. It's a bargain at three times the price.

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 4
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/26/2014 3:21:26 AM   
geofflambert

I'm assuming you're bailing. How much do we have to pay to retain your presence?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/26/2014 11:56:03 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

I bought it last year on holiday sale, but to be honest I haven't played more than an hour of it.

I still want to, as it's a ton of surface combat, but I just haven't had the time.

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 6
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/26/2014 12:17:48 PM   
btd64

quote:

I have it from a while ago. I have used some of the ship art for WITPAE mods. Seems to be interchangeable....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 7
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/26/2014 12:33:20 PM   
tocaff

WPO plays very slowly as ships are slow and without planes for recon you need to literally stumble into a fight more times than not. The short legs of the ships also contributes to this, IMHO, being a very interesting era, but a hugely boring game.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 8
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/26/2014 9:57:40 PM   
Mac Linehan

Bought (DLC):

DC The Blitzkrieg: Warsaw to Paris

DC Case Blue

Harpoon Ultimate Edition

GG WitE Lost Battles expansion

That should hold me for a while. War in the West is a strong possibility upon release.

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 11/26/2014 10:58:17 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 9
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/27/2014 9:08:26 AM   
Itdepends

I'd be looking at War in the West 6mths after release before I'd consider dropping the cash on it. I've seen nothing to match this game since I found it.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 10
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/27/2014 12:03:31 PM   
pws1225

quote:

I fell off that fence almost 5 years ago now.

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 11
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/27/2014 1:14:28 PM   
blackcloud6

I'm a fence sitter on this one. every Christmas sale that this one is marked down, I consider it but do not pull the trigger. the game looks so good but also seems like it would be a micromanagement game. I know it i t is very detailed but do you have to bog down in the micro aspects? I played UV many years ago a bit and it was OK and starting to grow on me then I got distracted by a seven ASL binge and never came back. Can you kick me off the fence?

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 12
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/27/2014 1:52:09 PM   
Numdydar

The amount of management is up to you. Many people here do amazing things with their pilot pools as an example. Me I just send them out to die . The only thing I do is take 80+ skill level and add them to the training pools once a month.

I also use the Auto Convoy system a LOT. Regardless of what people say it does work and can reduce the amount of work needed. Of course you need to spend the time going to a LOT of bases and turning their AC 'switch' Off so that you do not have freighter trying to supply Bataan in early '42 as an example. Plus if you play as the Allies against the stock AI, you really don't have to do anything for awhile, other than run and just build up for the first year. And still have fun

The hardest thing to do for either side is get through the first six months and especially Dec '41. Once you get over that hump, things get pretty easy to manage and the turns go a lot faster.

Also a key point to remember is that each turn is a DAY. So you do not have to do it all (although many of us try to lol) in a single turn. One turn you can do convoy routing, next turn AC missions, etc. So if your personality can handle it , you can break it up into more manageable chucks by turns.

I hope this helped

(in reply to blackcloud6)
Post #: 13
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/27/2014 3:34:10 PM   
blackcloud6

quote:

The amount of management is up to you

As I recall from UV that was true; you could sett hew program to do many things for you. But it always made me wonder if I could be managing things better... or not.

Day turns? Wow I didn't know that. How fast do they go by?

How are the scenarios? Is the game worth it just to play scenarios?

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 14
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/27/2014 3:47:40 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackcloud6

quote:

As I recall from UV that was true; you could sett hew program to do many things for you. But it always made me wonder if I could be managing things better... or not.

Yes.

It really is quite simple.

1. Anyone who considers themselves to be a grognard should have this game. In fact if they don't thave it hey are really not a grognard.

2. Anyone who has an interest in the PTO should have this game. There is nothing which comes close to AE in terms of covering the PTO.

3. Yes there is considerable micro management required if you want to squeeze the absolute maximum performance out of the code but this is not essential to enjoy a good game.

4. The replayability is huge. Obviously so against a human opponent in PBEM but also against the AI which basically has 13 scripts per scenario to elect.

5. You will find no better forum to answer your queries. Unlike many other matrix games, the AE forum is very much alive and several well informed forumites will answer promptly your queries.

Alfred

Post #: 15
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/28/2014 4:56:06 AM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackcloud6

quote:

Yes.

It really is quite simple.

1. Anyone who considers themselves to be a grognard should have this game. In fact if they don't thave it hey are really not a grognard.

2. Anyone who has an interest in the PTO should have this game. There is nothing which comes close to AE in terms of covering the PTO.

3. Yes there is considerable micro management required if you want to squeeze the absolute maximum performance out of the code but this is not essential to enjoy a good game.

Alfred, this statement really helped me. I truly love the micromanagement; and feel that to get the most out of a turn I need to do the homework on my end (i.e. attention to detail) so that the code can optimize it's work due to better preparation on my part.

4. The replayability is huge. Obviously so against a human opponent in PBEM but also against the AI which basically has 13 scripts per scenario to elect.

5. You will find no better forum to answer your queries. Unlike many other matrix games, the AE forum is very much alive and several well informed forumites will answer promptly your queries.

Alfred

A very succinct and accurate response, Sir. I am absolutely addicted to playing AE because of all of the above.

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 11/28/2014 5:57:54 AM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 16
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/28/2014 12:26:50 PM   
blackcloud6

Convinced. It is downloading as I type this.

Post #: 17
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/28/2014 2:25:39 PM   
Dorb

Is the manual that ships with the hard copy of the game still any good or is it worthless? I see lots of games here change so much the hard copy with manual becomes a waste. But I'm old school and feel really attached to having a manual, but not if its obsolete.

Post #: 18
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/28/2014 2:32:05 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dorb

Is the manual that ships with the hard copy of the game still any good or is it worthless? I see lots of games here change so much the hard copy with manual becomes a waste. But I'm old school and feel really attached to having a manual, but not if its obsolete.

The manual is still at least 90% valid. Maybe 95%. You can't hope to play the game without reading it.

I bought the version with the printed manual. It's a throwback manual to the old days of gaming. I enjoyed having something to read in bed and in the head. But after I read it twice it went in the drawer and I use the PDF now. I use the word search function almost exclusively to refresh on some minor point. For me it was worth the $10 or whatever to have the printed manual at first.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 11/28/2014 3:32:33 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 19
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/29/2014 5:25:53 AM   
JocMeister

Just went on a spending spree and bought both Command and Flashpoint!

And WitW is just around the corner... Guess that one will have to wait for a while!

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 20
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/29/2014 6:34:45 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Just went on a spending spree and bought both Command and Flashpoint!

And WitW is just around the corner... Guess that one will have to wait for a while!

JocMeister -

I have both; you will not be disappointed.

Enjoy, Sir!

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 21
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/29/2014 9:02:10 PM   
Qwixt

For us "fence sitters", is there a way to decrease the initial complexity, like starting out as a smaller country to try and survive while letting the AI handle the big boys?

Post #: 22
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/30/2014 4:53:18 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

For us "fence sitters", is there a way to decrease the initial complexity, like starting out as a smaller country to try and survive while letting the AI handle the big boys?

No.

You can play the shorter scenarios but they use the same game code and hence have the same type of complexity.

Alfred

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 23
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 11/30/2014 10:13:08 AM   
geofflambert

Up for bid: my virginity. I've never been with a female gorn, not ever!

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 24
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 12/1/2014 2:47:03 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Up for bid: my virginity. I've never been with a female gorn, not ever!

And you never will!!

Wanna Tic Tac?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 25
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 12/15/2014 6:02:48 AM   
mic211

Quite impressed with this game, reading the AARs, and with the this forum, but before committing the comming years gaming-time to this monster a few question - is the AI any good or do you have to play PBEM? - and the game is from 09, anybody knows if an updated version is on its way (don't want to invest to much time now (if I can resist...) if next years model is on its way)?

Thanks
Michael

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 26
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 12/15/2014 6:14:17 AM   
Numdydar

There will very likely never be another version of this game. Too much effort for too little gain.

The AI is the AI . You really need a PBEM to get the most out of a game, but it is definitely fun to play against the AI. But if you play the Allies and fight tooth and nail for everything, then the AI can be easily 'broken'. So if you want a fairly decent game, you need to play on Hard and let Japan at least get the historical boundaries and then start fighting back.

Of course staring out you should not worry too much as just learning the game the AI is pretty good. Plus there are mods that can make it even better.

(in reply to mic211)
Post #: 27
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 12/15/2014 6:23:40 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: mic211

Quite impressed with this game, reading the AARs, and with the this forum, but before committing the comming years gaming-time to this monster a few question - is the AI any good or do you have to play PBEM? - and the game is from 09, anybody knows if an updated version is on its way (don't want to invest to much time now (if I can resist...) if next years model is on its way)?

Thanks
Michael

Some players who are very knowledgeable and present on the forums only play the AI and find certain games really fulfilling. There is nothing like playing another person though, and you can easily find a player who matches your needed turn rate.

This game has been modified extensively since release by several people involved with the original design. Da Big Babes team () and michaelm () in the tech assistance area keep us going with lots of continued improvements!

The most important feature for me is that I learn more about this era from the game and from the forum than from any possible source. Books are great, but when you actually have to make things work in game, it suddenly becomes a lot more clear.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to mic211)
Post #: 28
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 12/15/2014 10:41:31 AM   
mic211

Thanks, I think that settles it then

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 29
RE: CHRISTMAS SALE - 12/17/2014 5:45:43 AM   
Tejszd

Christmas sale got me!

I've been sitting on the fence and reading these forums on and off for a year plus....

(in reply to mic211)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> CHRISTMAS SALE Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI