Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/15/2014 4:55:42 PM   
Grotius

Hi all,

In my newbish solitaire game, it took the Axis forever to conquer France; I finally sealed the deal in September/October 1940. And in Nov/Dec 1940, Germany had to mop up British and Free French units near Belgium. (Denmark and Poland are conquered too, of course; Norway still neutral.) Being a newb, my grand plan has been to follow historical patterns in general, so that implies that the Axis should look eastward (Balkans, Barbarossa, Egypt). But my Vichy France roll resulted in Vichy governments throughout North Africa, with the Free French bottle up in Syria. The French slightly strengthen the Allied position in Egypt -- and the absence of Free French in the western Med increase the temptation to attack Spain. Italy is at war with France but not the CW.

Given that my Axis assault on western Europe is almost 6 months behind schedule, is it foolish to consider attacking Spain? I'm inclined to bypass the Balkans and just gear up for Barbarossa, but I'm not sure. Japan is floundering in China, but Russia has not intervened in Manchuria. US entry/tension is around 19/11 in both pools, so getting close to the first US gear-up.

I do plan a full AAR at some point, but I'm reluctant to start one with the edit function on these boards glitched right now. I can post pics if anyone wants further info. Any advice?

Post #: 1
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/15/2014 5:24:03 PM   
Dabrion

Spain is not as strong as it seems. They have few units and none that is a match for the German 40' forcepool. Note that you have to get your forces into
Spain before you Vichy France!

Try to setup strongly vs Bilbao, with 4stuckas and 3hexes worth of high factor legmovers, Bilbao is NTemp weather in Mountains and thus the toughest hex of the three you need. Vs Barca you should get a fair amount of shore from the Regia Marina, also bring thes hexes of ground but less air. One HQ for each attack to give support and one more to follow up the move on Madrid. It can be done in one summer turn, should be tougher in winter.

If you happen to have a stack of MTN units, it will be almost impossible to stop you from crossing the pyrineas o nthe suprise impulse.

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 2
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/15/2014 7:18:59 PM   
Grotius

Thanks for your reply. Oops -- I already did create Vichy France. I guess I'm out of luck!

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 3
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/15/2014 7:42:33 PM   
brian brian

It's not absolutely necessary, but it helps to make that decision in 1939. Though the same basic force structure can be used to take Gibraltar overland and then attack Russia later, each option is probably better served by fine detail tweaks to that structure. i.e., which units you build.

And the question is even better answered at a bigger meta-level - which Major Power are you trying to defeat, the CW, or the USSR? If the Axis all answer that question the same way and all work together on achieving that goal, they do much better as a whole. If they just start playing and then flounder around with no strategic goal, they quickly become reactive to Allied decisions and go on to lose the game.

Spain crumples more quickly if the Italians use the surprise impulse to land on some Mediterranean ports, and are generally willing to fight in the Western Med to land corps sized units and keep them in supply. A late-in-turn DoW and a double move can really threaten one of the most key Allied hexes in the game, somewhat suddenly.

If you already declared Vichy, you will pretty much have to collapse it and take the US Entry hit to attack Spain, which would also convert much of North Africa to Free French. If the CW has been building too many Battleships and Sunderlands, that might still work.

But if you were thinking to stay historical, you might want to do just that. Changing strategy mid-game is also usually a poor idea.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 4
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/15/2014 7:56:15 PM   
Grotius

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I'm inclined to stick with the original plan -- to focus on the Soviets. I'll try focusing on Spain and the CW next game.

Is it common for newbs to have more trouble on offense than defense in WIF? My Germans did conquer France, but it took almost six months longer than historically, and the Germans took some losses. My Japanese are backpedaling in China. I'm not sure what the heck to do with my Italians. I'm expecting I'll do better next time, as I'm slowly getting the hang of things.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 5
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/15/2014 8:28:15 PM   
Centuur

There is no "Gamelin" in the French army. It isn't unusual to see that France gets conquered or Vichied late in 1940.

Italy is indeed the big question. What to do with them. I try to get them into the war as soon as possible and try to take out French North Africa (or Syria) by surprise. If only to get their economy running

The best way to play WiF is to make up a master plan for the Axis. That should be done at the end of the last impulse of S/O 1939 at the latest. Your builds should reflect for about 75% what is in your big plan. The rest is needed to rebuild losses (and you will lose units and planes in France).

Peter

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 6
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/15/2014 10:38:45 PM   
composer99

If you're heading East, you should sort out the Yugoslav situation. The Yugoslav forces are weak enough that you can get the job done over the winter if you want to invade. If you want to align Yugoslavia it's a bit trickier, since you need to conquer Greece. That should still be feasible over the 1940-1941 winter season, since Greece is mostly in the Med weather.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 7
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/15/2014 10:49:21 PM   
Grotius

Thanks for your replies. Is there a case to be made for bypassing Yugoslavia and Greece? Or are the resources too juicy to pass up?

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 8
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/15/2014 11:39:04 PM   
composer99

The Commonwealth or France can align Yugoslavia if they get 4 corps in any adjacent country. So you usually want to prevent that, not because of the Yugoslav army, which is weak, but because of the potential positioning issues if the Allies can bring reinforcements in before you can smack it down. That means either conquering Yugoslavia or deciding to align it.

Greece, on the other hand, is best left alone, IMO, unless you're planning to align Yugoslavia or you're going heavy in the Eastern Med (perhaps campaigning in the Red Sea after taking Egypt) and want the shorter overseas supply line.

For the TL,DR summary: you have to do something with Yugoslavia, and you can safely bypass Greece unless you have a strategic purpose in mind.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 9
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/16/2014 12:50:17 AM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I'm inclined to stick with the original plan -- to focus on the Soviets. I'll try focusing on Spain and the CW next game.

Is it common for newbs to have more trouble on offense than defense in WIF? My Germans did conquer France, but it took almost six months longer than historically, and the Germans took some losses. My Japanese are backpedaling in China. I'm not sure what the heck to do with my Italians. I'm expecting I'll do better next time, as I'm slowly getting the hang of things.

Any WW II game game that mixes strategic and operational levels is going to have a problem with France. The Allies command performed about as badly in France as it could have. Almost any Allied player is going to do better. WiF does what most games do: weaken French capabilities some, and live the fact that the Allies are still very likely to do better than they historically did. The Axis can improve other decisions in other places to make up for it.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 10
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/16/2014 2:58:24 AM   
Grotius

quote:

The Commonwealth or France can align Yugoslavia if they get 4 corps in any adjacent country.

Oh! I didn't know that. OK, time to do something about Yugoslavia, then.

quote:

WiF does what most games do: weaken French capabilities some, and live the fact that the Allies are still very likely to do better than they historically did. The Axis can improve other decisions in other places to make up for it.

OK, that's reassuring. For what it's worth, I dimly recall having trouble as Germany in the old Avalon Hill game "France: 1940." I haven't played the more recent OCS title "The Blitzkrieg Legend", but the fluidity of the OCS system might mean an Axis player could replicate the historical results. It's easy to make big whopping mistakes on both offense and defense in OCS. :)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 11
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/16/2014 4:12:49 AM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

quote:

WiF does what most games do: weaken French capabilities some, and live the fact that the Allies are still very likely to do better than they historically did. The Axis can improve other decisions in other places to make up for it.

OK, that's reassuring. For what it's worth, I dimly recall having trouble as Germany in the old Avalon Hill game "France: 1940." I haven't played the more recent OCS title "The Blitzkrieg Legend", but the fluidity of the OCS system might mean an Axis player could replicate the historical results. It's easy to make big whopping mistakes on both offense and defense in OCS. :)

Ah yes. France '40. That game had extensive rules that would, if one wanted to, allow one to duplicate the historical Allied and German plans. One did so only as an exercise in morbid curiosity. Letting the French play freely made was much, much harder on the Germans. (The last time I played France '40, home computers had not yet been invented.)

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 12
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/16/2014 1:44:12 PM   
brian brian

An Axis double move in 1940 can simulate the historical results somewhat. You don't have to think of World in Flames as the turns starting rigidly every January 1st, March 1st, May 1st, July 1st, etc. Ditto for using an Offensive Chit, and playing with the No ZoC on Surprise Impulse option. The impulse and initiative system represent the fluidity of events in the war; and the Allied high command was certainly a newb player at mobile warfare.

The alternative Vichy rules known as "LoC Vichy" also introduce the historical concept of declaring Paris an Open City, something not present in the standard rules.

Nonetheless, the Germans lost 100K men and nearly 1,250 aircraft = 3 or 4 corps sized land units and 4 or 5 airplane counters. That wouldn't be too unusual in a game of WiF, though with Vichy formation a little more likely in the Jul/Aug turn than the end of the May/Jun turn.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 13
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/18/2014 11:15:56 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

There is no "Gamelin" in the French army. It isn't unusual to see that France gets conquered or Vichied late in 1940.

Italy is indeed the big question. What to do with them. I try to get them into the war as soon as possible and try to take out French North Africa (or Syria) by surprise. If only to get their economy running

The best way to play WiF is to make up a master plan for the Axis. That should be done at the end of the last impulse of S/O 1939 at the latest. Your builds should reflect for about 75% what is in your big plan. The rest is needed to rebuild losses (and you will lose units and planes in France).

For God's sake, when does this guy want to conquer France? The game starts at the end of the summer of 39, Sept/oct. There are possibilities of rain (or even worse weather maybe), plus he has to control Poland and cross Belgium and Holland, with the possible opposition of a BEF that could ZOC his advance partially, while comfortably protected by Fleet.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 14
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/18/2014 11:24:41 AM   
Joseignacio

At my current board game I took France in Sept/oct 40, and got a part of the BEF as a dessert. And that was because they won the initiative (me having a +1), if not, all the BEF (like 5 units) would be dead, I am not counting the planes because they can rebase if not used.

Now, I am going for Greece. Italy has been neutral but it just declared war to Uk and this allows more flexibility in action types. The British TRSs are a little bit off to be of help in Greece, so I can have a turn without significative reinforcements there, and if they don't win the initiative, I have two very strong GE units ready to join by sea.

Greece has 2 valuable resources to give to Italy (for example) and Yugoslavia (you can align it on some conditions) has a lot of crappy units to garrison it's coast and France's plus 2 resources and 2 factories.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 11/18/2014 1:01:41 PM >

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 15
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/18/2014 1:17:11 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Greece only has 1 resource. And be careful, those mountains can be tough to break. Especially, I would think, if Italy hasn't been in the war up till now and therefore can't have that many navs to stuff in the Eastern Med and mess up the British from reinforcing.

Post #: 16
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/18/2014 1:30:00 PM   
Dabrion

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

Greece only has 1 resource. And be careful, those mountains can be tough to break. Especially, I would think, if Italy hasn't been in the war up till now and therefore can't have that many navs to stuff in the Eastern Med and mess up the British from reinforcing.

Athens is a clear hex though. Aligning Bulgaria the same turn you DoW Greece helps.

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 17
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/18/2014 1:50:03 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

It helps, but it's hardly a sure thing. The Bulgarians have no HQ, and if you haven't aligned or conquered Yugoslavia (which makes the whole exercise moot) it's hard to get a German HQ there.

Which means the Bulgarians are limited, once they penetrate a bit, to sticking near Salonica and relying on an Italian convoy to stay in supply. If Italy hasn't had generous aid from Germany, which isn't really possible if they only got into the war post fall of France, then a gang of British carriers operating in the 4 box of the Eastern Med can make it hard for those CP to survive.

Even if the British can't send any reinforcements, you've got the 2 Greek initial units, and then the mil that will be coming next turn, as well as a garrison the turn after if you're playing CBVs. And a MTN on the resource, the inf starting in Athens and then moving either to hex 2414 or 2413 depending on how the Axis maneuver, or if necessary bringing the MTN back to cover both if you have both a fast column coming down from Albania and a Bulgarian contingent.

It won't hold forever, but it will stall, or force the Axis to try a risky attack against dug in guys in the mountains.

And if Italy only joined the war in say, J/A, I just don't see how it works. Did the Germans have units sitting in Bavaria and Austria, ready to walk into Trieste and be shipped to Albania right that turn? If not, you probably won't have that many units, or if you do, they'll be the Italians themselves. And Italy only has 1 unit that can move 4, so their advance through the hills is going to be slow, even with no resistance whatsoever.

Edit: One thing I am assuming is that even if the British don't have any transports/bodies to send to help the Greeks out, they do have enough of a naval presence to put pressure on the Eastern Med, make that convoy keeping things in supply a risky venture. This might or might not be the case in an actual game. If the British are staying out of the med, an attack on Greece is enormously simplified.

< Message edited by Ur_Vile_WEdge -- 11/18/2014 3:29:15 PM >

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 18
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/18/2014 3:28:53 PM   
brian brian

I like when an Axis player attacks the Netherlands and then Greece and then complains that they can't seem to hurt the Allied convoy system no matter what they do.

Post #: 19
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/18/2014 4:57:59 PM   
Joseignacio

quote:

Ok, it seems my memory served me wrong. 1 then, I beleve you, I am too lazy to check the map...

The mountains I know them, but I can handle them, I believe. I will even have bad weather, cause It wiil be in Nov Dec or Jan Feb, cant recall.

But since the weather in the Med is not so bad... the only problem may be mobility in those mountains, specially for the mobile units.

I know for the mountains the best is inf type (mont if available) with 4 movement rate, but I wanted to be able to blitz, so I have an HQ and an ARM ready to part in Italian ports.

Post #: 20
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/18/2014 4:59:19 PM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

quote:

Athens is a clear hex though. Aligning Bulgaria the same turn you DoW Greece helps.

Yes, I count on some units when the fry starts, to help the Italians, and supply them with the GE HQ.

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 21
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/18/2014 5:12:16 PM   
Joseignacio

quote:

It helps, but it's hardly a sure thing. The Bulgarians have no HQ, and if you haven't aligned or conquered Yugoslavia (which makes the whole exercise moot) it's hard to get a German HQ there.

Which means the Bulgarians are limited, once they penetrate a bit, to sticking near Salonica and relying on an Italian convoy to stay in supply. If Italy hasn't had generous aid from Germany, which isn't really possible if they only got into the war post fall of France, then a gang of British carriers operating in the 4 box of the Eastern Med can make it hard for those CP to survive.

Even if the British can't send any reinforcements, you've got the 2 Greek initial units, and then the mil that will be coming next turn, as well as a garrison the turn after if you're playing CBVs. And a MTN on the resource, the inf starting in Athens and then moving either to hex 2414 or 2413 depending on how the Axis maneuver, or if necessary bringing the MTN back to cover both if you have both a fast column coming down from Albania and a Bulgarian contingent.

It won't hold forever, but it will stall, or force the Axis to try a risky attack against dug in guys in the mountains.

And if Italy only joined the war in say, J/A, I just don't see how it works. Did the Germans have units sitting in Bavaria and Austria, ready to walk into Trieste and be shipped to Albania right that turn? If not, you probably won't have that many units, or if you do, they'll be the Italians themselves. And Italy only has 1 unit that can move 4, so their advance through the hills is going to be slow, even with no resistance whatsoever.

Edit: One thing I am assuming is that even if the British don't have any transports/bodies to send to help the Greeks out, they do have enough of a naval presence to put pressure on the Eastern Med, make that convoy keeping things in supply a risky venture. This might or might not be the case in an actual game. If the British are staying out of the med, an attack on Greece is enormously simplified.

Italy has had more production than it gets normally but way far from 100% of the factories, but it's main builds (almost exclusive) were FTRs and NAVs, plus repair or 2nd round SCSs.

Last turn (surprise against CW) I sent 2 CV and 2 battleships to the repair pool. Bad luck I had 4 X and all of them were saved and only got D.

The British fleet was divided, part of it having had to deal with the Kriegsmarine raids (all the same I repaired and second round), so they are based in Portsmouth, too far to be a problem by now, the transports, 2 of them about Southern Africa in their way to Egypt, and most of the other in few convenient locations.

Id say I have advantage in the Med Seas because with my 2 /3 navs + plenty of fighters, one ranged 6. He has no fighters except for an interceptor in Gibraltar, and he has only a 20 range naval there too with few naval points (1 or 2).

The Italian Fleet can more or less deal with his forces if necessary. We are not using the rule that there needs to be a convoy to supply so anyway I can try to sneak a crappy cruiser to supply the forces...

As for those units, I rely a lot in the Luftwaffe, which has some good units in Italy along with Italian bombers.

Yes, the Germans were in Bavaria, in the mountains, railed previous turn, since one of them was an HQ and it Works as a train station, they just walked to Venice.

And yes, my only concern are the British but they don't seem to be able to send corps or at least more tan 1 or 2 corps, hopefully none.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 11/20/2014 9:10:21 AM >

Post #: 22
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/18/2014 5:22:47 PM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I like when an Axis player attacks the Netherlands and then Greece and then complains that they can't seem to hurt the Allied convoy system no matter what they do.

Well, I have been doing this, with the GE corsairs I have wiped out the Transfer Pool, mostly damaged and sunk, only less tan half aborted, in two impulses. UNfortunately I am a Little late with subs, I forgot to make the second round to the three you get, and I only have two, one of them a milk cow. But I have 4 italian ones that will start to itch soon enough. Besides, earlier I didn't have France to base them in Brest.

i didn't mention before that, for the Little cost that it has, I decided to give the second round to the GE CV, which I think will make the Kreigsmarine raids much deadlier as well as protect them by making the brit have to spend 4 points to make the battle full naval if this were profitable for them, which may be dubious, for now the Kriegsmarine has some nice battleships and good value cruisers.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 11/18/2014 6:24:53 PM >

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 23
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/18/2014 10:15:01 PM   
Dabrion

You should have paras in southern Italy. Divisions that take the southern ports, this makes it rather hard to get corps in for the Allies. Bulgarians with Antonescou and the Hun+Rum CAV secure the rail line towards Athens. Air starts from the Dodecanese or southern Italy. It you are setup right you will have enough potential threat on Athens during the surprise impulse, that setting up two corps there is a must. Only way Greece is hard is if Allies try to get corps in early in the game when Axis is reacting to that move.

Post #: 24
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/19/2014 6:51:56 AM   
Joseignacio

I have the maximum IT divs I have of the INF class, including one mont div, all stacked with cruisers. However, it depends on wether the Brits can have an interdiction on my cruisers..., who has the initiative, and wether the climate is storm or worse or not.

There cannot be a railway line to Athens (at least for supply or deployment matters), since Rumania is neutral and will have to be until war with USSR or Yug aligned or surrendered (more or less).

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 11/20/2014 9:12:13 AM >

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 25
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/19/2014 11:36:40 AM   
Centuur

quote:

You should have paras in southern Italy. Divisions that take the southern ports, this makes it rather hard to get corps in for the Allies. Bulgarians with Antonescou and the Hun+Rum CAV secure the rail line towards Athens. Air starts from the Dodecanese or southern Italy. It you are setup right you will have enough potential threat on Athens during the surprise impulse, that setting up two corps there is a must. Only way Greece is hard is if Allies try to get corps in early in the game when Axis is reacting to that move.

Antonescu isn't always available. If you choose not to attack Yugoslavia and the USSR claims the borderlands and than you let Bulgaria and Hungaria claim their portions of Rumania, you don't have Rumania on the Axis side, until it is at war with the Soviets...

The Balkans... Always a messy thing...

Peter

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 26
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/19/2014 11:46:41 AM   
Joseignacio

Yep, in my case, and with the ruleset we are playing, which is NOT RAW7, if I read it well, you should always give Bulgaria and Hungary those lands.

In my game, they have not asked for the borderlands, due to the fiery resistance of the Finnish to Soviet invasion (one year). I am worried he may not ask for them because if he doesn't:

- I need Yugoslavia to align Romania (unless I am at war with URSS)
- I need Romania to align Yugoslavia.

It's a vicious circle.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 27
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/19/2014 12:31:06 PM   
Dabrion

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

Antonescu isn't always available. If you choose not to attack Yugoslavia and the USSR claims the borderlands and than you let Bulgaria and Hungaria claim their portions of Rumania, you don't have Rumania on the Axis side, until it is at war with the Soviets...

The Balkans... Always a messy thing...

I thought he was doing 1) allow Bess claim 2) deny Hun+Bul claims->gets Rum+Hun 3) attack Bul with the Rumanians. And this was the final step with Greece. Doesn't work without Bess claim though.

Btw. what changed for the Balkan in that version of the rules that is not RAW7?

< Message edited by Dabrion -- 11/19/2014 1:33:01 PM >

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 28
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/19/2014 1:49:43 PM   
Joseignacio

Not sure if it changed something, I mentioned this because I was not sure and didn't want somebody to say "hey, it's not like that in the rules (RAW7)", but if I do what you say I could not align all the Balkans, including Bulgaria and Yugoslavia.

No reason to take the risk to lose one unit while spanking the Bulgarians (plus partisan garrison) , defending Romania as peacekeepers which is pretty bad role, I promise..., if you can give everyone what they want (except for Rom) and get Romania when you align Yug.

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 29
RE: Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? - 11/19/2014 4:18:02 PM   
Dabrion

Denying Bessarabia in the first place is almost always a bad idea. I was talking about the Bul+Hun territorial claims on Rum, after the Bess claim was acknowledged. If you want to align Yug, denying Bul+Hun claims is still the easiest way and has the benefit of gaining Rum as a full ally. You only loose Bulgaria in the process, which has a negligible forcepool, and whose partisans (3) lack any determination compared to their neighbors. You are exposed to intervention in Bulgaria and Greece though, which is too much potential distraction when you need every last unit on the border for Barb41. That is why selling out Rum is the better option for that case (where you get Rum on DoW RU anyways), although a No-Bessarabia-Gambit is even better!

W/o Bessarabia claimed, you could just DoW Yug as that gets the neighbors on the map and you will need the Balkan crowd and the Fins to have a shot at the pact. You will ultimately have to DoW RU to unlock the Balkans and that is unlikely to happen w/o Rumania and Hungary on the Map.

If you are worried about CW intervention, a side show in North Africa towards Suez could make it at least a tougher decision to pull force out of that area. In late40 the Axis still has a considerable advantage in terms of land, air and HQs, so you can easily afford two theatres while CW will have to sprinkle or commit to one.
It sounds as if you don't go for Spain after France, so you should have enough spare HQs and air to pull off Greece and North Africa, which also have some synergy. Regia Marina amounts to ~65 surface (+CLs) with reasonable air cover while in the Med. Even with a bad split on the dice you are looking at at least 113 vs the enemy. A Condor in the Red Sea could be a good sentry for any Indian war tourists.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Advice for Axis in late 1940: Spain? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI